Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick in so many ways, need a female's advice.

I would go see a good Gynecologist not your PCP. They will look for things that a PCP will overlook. They'll do more thorough testing, too.

Have you considered abdominal hernias? I would think a doctor would see that but it's a thought. They're very different than hiatal hernias and can produce the same sensation and symptoms you're describing. (I know, I'm looking at yet another surgery for them soon).

If the Gynecologist still finds nothing and your surgeon doesn't see signs of an abdominal hernia, I would find a good internest to step up the diagnostic process.

I've never gone through specifically what you are, but I did go through years of a "mystery illness". It cost me my job, my happiness, and almost my sanity. Heck, people started to tell me how it was "all in my head" and nothing was wrong with me. It wasn't until a couple years and many doctors later that a doctor finally asked me "Have you ever been tested for MS?" I didn't even know what it was at the time, went home and Googled it, and cried because I knew that was what'd been wrong all those years. Sure enough, one MRI and a week later, I was diagnosed with MS.

My point is- don't give up. Keep going from doctor to doctor if you have to but do not take "nothing is wrong" as an answer. Keep at it until you find the source of your pain.

My heart and prayers go out to you.

Thank you laurigee...You described your experience as if it were mine, to a point. I'm sorry you had to go through all that, but happy that your hysterectomy went well.

I was/am feeling a constant dull pain in my lower stomach that hit me with sharp pains every now and then. My lower back is causing the most distress, mainly on the right side to middle. I can't walk when I wake up in the AM until I take my Lortab (not keen on having to rely on them to function, that's when addictions start to form) and wait in bed for it to kick in. The pelvic pain has moved up into my lower stomach, I'm wearing my baggiest shirts to work so I can let my bloated stomach out. I don't know if that rules out OC.

I have an appt tomorrow with my PCP, who is also my OB/GYN. I had my mammogram today, don't know the results yet. And tomorrow I will be scheduling my long over due colonoscopy. I'm writing down all my "symptoms" for the doc because I lose my thoughts when I'm in a Dr.'s office.

Your description of your experience really helps me to "list" my symptoms, and take my situation more seriously.

Thank you!!!

Missy,

My PCP is also my OB/GYN. I'm just so scared to put my life in the hands of a young, new Dr. I see her tomorrow, where we will discuss how progress is not being made.

I had my mammogram today, and am scheduling my colonoscopy tomorrow. I don't know what else to do! The pain that I'm in, and the unknown cause of my symptoms occupies my every thought. Do I have this? Do I have that? I'm praying my PCP will take my info and lead me to the right direction towards healing. It doesn't help that my Mom died of Breast Cancer over a year ago. And my Grandfather died of Colon Cancer. My mind is swirling.

I'm sorry you were diagnosed with MS. I actually don't know what it is, but I'll google it.

No, I'm not giving up! Though I do feel like it all must be in my head sometimes. I have Medicare, so I can see who I want, when I want, that helps. What is an Internest? I will google "abdominal hernia" and find out more about that.

Thanks for helping me out. I know I will always find sanity when I'm on LBT. :)

Missy,

Haven't looked up MS yet, but I did google "abdominal hernia." I have all the symptoms, but I do not have anything protruding from my stomach. The Dr first searched my belly bt hand, nothing. Then I had a Pelvic exam, nothing. Then the ER did a CT scan of my pelvic area, nothing again. Wouldn't they have found any type of hernia then? Am I too fat to feel it?

back to the google....

Missy,

Haven't looked up MS yet, but I did google "abdominal hernia." I have all the symptoms, but I do not have anything protruding from my stomach. The Dr first searched my belly bt hand, nothing. Then I had a Pelvic exam, nothing. Then the ER did a CT scan of my pelvic area, nothing again. Wouldn't they have found any type of hernia then? Am I too fat to feel it?

back to the google....

If you had a hernia, it would've showed up on a CT scan. So, it's highly unlikely that's what's wrong.

My other thought is to request an abdominal MRI. CT scans don't show nearly as much as an MRI will. In fact, in most diagnostic processes an MRI would be the next the step if the CT scan showed nothing.

An internist would also be called internal medicine.

I feel just awful you're going through this. It's heartbreaking. Just please, whatever you do, don't give up and don't stop bugging these doctors for answers until someone finally figures out what's going wrong.

Just saw my PCP tonight (Not the best V-Day celebration), she got a cancaer free result from my mammo. Big YAY!

While I waited for an hour for her, I was crying because my back hurts so much. Didn't take my Lortab today, bad idea. All in all, she still doesn't know what's going on. Took another urine sample, it was fine. She told me to see a gastroenterologist for the colonoscopy ASAP. Not sure how soon I can get the appt. Doc said that if the pain gets any worse to march right back to the ER and have the colonoscopy there. She's trying to rule out the colon cancer that runs in my family.

She asked me if the pain in my stomach was "floating like", yes. Well there's some thing (I can't remember the term) that cause's air to accumulate in the upper and lower intestines. She gave me something to put under my tongue to stop the spasms. We'll see if this works.

Has anybody ever heard of this? Could this be related to the band? I reminded her that I'm banded five years and that I eat small portions, chew very well and mostly eat the best foods. She said that was even better.

Again I am grateful for your ear, I feel incredibly alone in this scarey world of diagnostic testing.

Missy, My gastroenterologist is also in Inyernal Medicine, was that what you meant?

Just saw my PCP tonight (Not the best V-Day celebration), she got a cancaer free result from my mammo. Big YAY!

While I waited for an hour for her, I was crying because my back hurts so much. Didn't take my Lortab today, bad idea. All in all, she still doesn't know what's going on. Took another urine sample, it was fine. She told me to see a gastroenterologist for the colonoscopy ASAP. Not sure how soon I can get the appt. Doc said that if the pain gets any worse to march right back to the ER and have the colonoscopy there. She's trying to rule out the colon cancer that runs in my family.

She asked me if the pain in my stomach was "floating like", yes. Well there's some thing (I can't remember the term) that cause's air to accumulate in the upper and lower intestines. She gave me something to put under my tongue to stop the spasms. We'll see if this works.

Has anybody ever heard of this? Could this be related to the band? I reminded her that I'm banded five years and that I eat small portions, chew very well and mostly eat the best foods. She said that was even better.

Again I am grateful for your ear, I feel incredibly alone in this scarey world of diagnostic testing.

Missy, My gastroenterologist is also in Inyernal Medicine, was that what you meant?

I am so, so relieved your doctor is following up on all this!

And yes, a gastroenterolgist would be the same the thing.

Please let us know what happens, ok? I'm very worried about you.

((hugs))

Thank you very much Missy! I'll keep you posted as this melodrama continues....

yrs ago' date=' when i was having intense pain, i kept going to the er as it hurt so bad..finally one night, hub told them you are keeping her til you fix her (turns out i needed emergency gallbladder surgery)..like the one poster said, stay on them..its your life and your health.[/quote']

I see these kinds of symptoms in my athletes! My first thought was gal bladder! Although ovarian sounds possible because of your menopausal state. Keep on your docs! They care about you but sometimes when they can't see something obvious they try to explain it as something minor.

Try to track when\if your eating and your activities. Logging is a great diagnostic tool!

**hugs**

Thank you JBooze, I've been googling myself to death looking for reasons for my malady. I searched gallbladder attacks and gallstones, I don't think I fall into any of those categories. But thanks for caring!

I was told to have a colonoscopy by my PCP-OB/GYN. I go for them every two years, as colon cancer runs in my family. But I stopped having them done in 06. I had to boss my med team around (something I am NOT accustomed to!) to get me a colonoscopy ASAP, the Gods weren't having it. I booked with two different gastroenterologist's, just to see who could see me first. I now have an appt for an office visit in mid April, and an an appt for the test on April 19 (I think :wacko: ) with my fave gastro...! Not looking forward to it, but I was told to do it, I should have been doing it all along and I want to know the results. The test isn't so bad, but the prep is not fun at all!

IDK, my problems shift, sort of. My abdomen still hurts and is still bloated most of the time, my stools are inconsistent (TMI?) and my back pain has broadened and the pain is through the roof! If it weren't for the Lortabs I'm on, I'd not make it through my easy, pt work day, or very mild housework!

I'm so disillusioned and wondering if I've lost my mind. I never get sick, not even colds...but this? Wow. :blink:

OMG I'm so sorry you are in so much pain..Hoping and praying that you find some relief and answers soon (((hugs)))

Thanks kazjim... I LOVE your clip art!

This video clip keeps me going, I never get tired of it!