Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On day 9 of Atkins Induction....(and I'm living thru it)

Most of you know my story. I've been banded for a little over 3 yrs and did well (losing 104 lbs, 9 lbs from my goal of 135). Then my band slipped last year (please everyone don't ignore frequent vomiting) and since I have no more symptoms (severe reflux) after my dr took a little Fluid out, he's leaving it alone. I don't have the great restriction I used to have, but it's at least decent. I've gained 20 lbs since getting married Dec 2011. My husband has also gained 25 lbs. He had great success with Atkins, losing 80 lbs prior to meeting me 2 yrs ago. He always eats low carb and I NEVER do. Luv my carbs. Way too much for my dr's liking (I always get a lecture about my eating). I decided to research Atkins and maybe give it a try.

After researching it, I came to the conclusion that it's healthy for short term use. I would never live in Atkins the rest of my life, but if it'll give me the boost I need and the motivation I need to start me down the losing again, I'm all up for it. So 9 days ago, I did my grocery shopping. I've never bought so much meat, cheese, eggs, and veggies in my life. Not 1 item of junk in my cart. I've been eating very healthy for the past 9 days (thank God for Atkins bars as when I have a sweet tooth, they hit it just right!), not eating over 20 gm of carbs and working out 4x a week. As of this morning, I've now lost 8 lbs! In a week! I'm hoping that when I'm done with the first 2 weeks and I start adding carbs back in slowly, that I won't gain it all back. The first 3 days I was really cranky - I would've killed someone for a cookie. Now most of my cravings are gone (except my nightly pineapple is truly missed) and I'm motivated to lose the 20 I gained + the extra 9 I need! Yeah! And another plus: My husband lost 11 lbs! Why do men lose so much faster? Not fair! And it's nice that we're doing this together.

Oh, and a shout out to the Jello corporation: YEAH FOR sugar free JELLO! You've been my very best friend! No carbs and very little calories!

Marci

I am so happy you posted this! I was banded in 2008 and I have been a total failure. I accidentally became pregnant six months after being banded and have just never lost weight. A lot of it is my fault, but not all of it. I tried really hard with the band and ultimately it was determined that because of PCOS and being on anti-depressants, my weight loss was much harder. Anyway, since I have been dianosed with PCOS (and placed on metformin) my doctor told me (and he knows I have the band) to follow Atkins, so I am starting tomorrow! Excited to hear I can eat jello!

Oh men lose faster because they have more muscle which burns fat. It is unfair! My husband can lose like the drop of the hat when he puts a little effort into it.