Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting lapbad out of town...

Hi. I live in Northern Ontario, Canada. There is no lapband surgeons where I live and will have to go 400 km away to get the surgery. Can this be done? Where do I get fills? Will I have to go back 400 km each time I need one done, or can any doctor do them? Sorry if this question has been asked before but there is not much on google about this in Canada.

If there is no Lap Band surgeon within 400km of you, then yes, you'd have to travel the 400km for all your post op appointments and fills. Essentially, you'd be making the trip about once a month for at least the first year after surgery (or until you reach goal). Even after that, you'll still have to have your band checked annually. Only a Lap Band surgeon can do fills.

Best wishes.

Oh. What devastating info. I cannot afford to go back every month...does anyone know a website that lists fill locations in Canada?

http://www.findprivateclinics.ca/Ontario/Cosmetic/Weight_Loss/Gastric_Banding/lc-9-0-211-0.html

You can find more information if you google "gastric band doctors in Ontario"

Or simply ask your doctor to refer you to somebody

I have family in Ottawa, Ontario & I heard that everyone who wants the band is going to Chicago, and have many regrets due travel costs and inconvenience.

I’m assuming if these people go to the U.S. they have to pay the surgery out of pocket??? I think most insurance do not cover operations in other countries.

Yes your absolutely right doggielover. I think it's insane to do that.

I’m sure people do it if they have money and dont want to wait. I’m from quebec and quebec insurance pays it BUT i’ve been waiting for more than 2 ½ years (and i’m still waiting). Unfortunately the Canadian health system is not the fastest....

Any qualified surgeon can do a fill if they have done them. There are many general surgeons who do just fills. Call different surgeons in your area and ask if they do fills for the lapband or if they know of any that do. Yes you need to follow up with your surgeon but under your circumstances I think that once every three months would be fine and I am sure he would think so too. Call around to see if there are any fill centers in your area. There are PA's, RN's and other medical professionals that do lapband fills. Most Lapband doctors don't even do the fills themselves but have someone on their staff to do it. I would certainly call around and also talk to your surgeon to see how it would work or if he has any suggestions about someone to fill your band for you. There are many options you just have to find them.