Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post op experiences and support

can_do
Sign in to follow this  

Hello Ladies,

It's a little personal, so sorry for TMI, but is anyone having issues with "liquid in, liquid out"? I have between 600-775 cal per day and get between 58-70 grams of Protein. Today is the first day that I have had this specific issues. Been struggling with watching my whole family eat while I've been on liquids for the last 5 days. I've lost 9 lbs since surgery and have been walking daily. Fluids were a little light yesterday but other then that, things have been very positive. I see my Doc Thurs and can't wait to get to puree stage :)

THank you for the support. :)

Sounds like you're doing great, and good for you getting in all that protein! I really struggled with that! Do you get to go to pureed foods on Thursday? I was on liquids for 2 weeks...just got to start the pureed foods on Monday (chicken salad never tasted sooo good!!).

Sounds like you're doing great, and good for you getting in all that protein! I really struggled with that! Do you get to go to pureed foods on Thursday? I was on liquids for 2 weeks...just got to start the pureed foods on Monday (chicken salad never tasted sooo good!!).

I never thought about chicken salad... that sounds fantastic right now! I should be able to start THurs. My doc requires that you do not feel your band in order to move through stages. I have not felt my band since day 1! So i am pretty sure that I am supposed to stay on puree for 2 weeks... I am happy to know. Protein has been a good journey, weather drinking it added to Crystal Light, Mio, or made like a coffee. Stay with it, your find what you like.

I miss chewing on food...lol

I'm on day 6 of the Clear Liquids and am so ready to move forward to full liquids. I have to cook for my family and it is difficult. Interestingly enough, upon discharge from the hospital the nurses gave me post op diet instructions that were outlined for the next 45 days. It says clear liquids days 1-3, full liquids days 4-15, nad then more to it after that. These instructions are totally different than what my doctor's dietician gave me, so I called her to see if things had changed. She told me to follow the original instructions and that she didn't know why the hospital has been giving these out but she was going to put a stop to it! Anyway, it has been very difficult to not move forward onto the full liquid phase, because I know it is legal with some doctors. I so want a cup of warm vanilla pudding, or a milk product. But I will be good. Just one more full day of Jello, broth, teas, and crystal light, and then I'll enjoy the next phase. Discipline--I've never been good at that. But I'm learning.

You can do it Cindy!! i am 5 days post-op and am still in the liquids for two weeks. I need to remember that bad eating is what got me here in the first place. And that nothing, I mean nothing tastes as good as feeling thin (ner) does!!!

Eventually we can eat it all, IN MODERATION. Good luck to all, and hang in there. h20 h20 h20 !!!!

have a postive week!

Linda

I miss chewing on food...lol

Me too! Today is day 8, and I really want something to chew. I actually did cheat a bit this morning and tried a little bit of a bagel, tiny pieces, with cream cheese on it. Didn't have any problem at all, which is bad because now I want to cheat again. But I'm trying to be strong. Full liquid phase from now through Sunday, and then I can have blended food. Tonight's dinner is an unjury chicken Soup flavor Protein Shake. Yum--not. I am keeping an image in my head of when I was thin. I'm also trying to remember what it felt like to be comfortable sitting on my husband's lap, or to have him pick me up, or to have his arms around me without me feeling embarrassed because of the flab. Now that is motivation enough to go drink that chicken Soup shake. :)

Yumm Yumm!! thats the motivation we all need, to have my husband pick me up would be pretty thrilling for me. As long as me doesnt end up in traction!! lol

I am looking forward to amusement park rides, shopping at the regular stores for clothes, booths at restaurants (not tables) airplane seats and bathrooms. Many things that were a struggle or imbarassment.

Happy days are coming!!! although it is snowing like crazy in Chicago!!

How's everyone doing?

I'm now one month post op, and feeling great! I've lost 12lbs since my surgery, which I'm totally thrilled with! Tomorrow I go in to see the nutritionist and will finally get to move on to soft foods...although I've been doing really well on pureed foods. I'll get my first fill in 2 weeks :)

I'd love to hear some updates!

I am also 1 month post-op. I feel great. I start soft food tomorrow and also get my first fill in 2 weeks. I actually do feel some restriction even with an empty band. I get a little of the old shoulder pain if I eat more than a half a cup of pureed food, or eat it too quickly. I'm happy about this, since I'm leaving shortly on vacation and need that bit of restriction to stay on track. I'm down 21 pounds since about 2 1/2 weeks pre-op.

I was banded Feb 15th, which in reality is not that long ago. I really do not feel any pain, just a few stomach twinches from the port and the stitches around the band when I hit my stomach on the counter or bend over for too long (I swear no one helps do anything around this house). My doctor has allowed me to start eating regular food ionly after some extreme questions concerning my knowledge of what was required and what was expected of me. So far I have discovered that I have to smother all meat with to get it down. Lately it has been stewed tomatoes, cottage cheese (I know, sounds gross) or some low calorie, fat free sauce I have concocted. I have kept portions to 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup, which is about all I can handle anyway. I have been "almost" stuck a couple of times, but I have been able to sip something to help slide it down. The doctor has cleared me to do chair exercises with minimal stretching and no lifting above 10 lbs. So basically it is ankle and wrist weights and taking it easy for another few weeks.

I have lost a total of 15 pounds (12 pre-op and 3 post-op). I think this is wonderful considering I know my body is healing and adjusting. I walk 2 - 4 miles a day (depending on kids, work and grad-school schedules). I have to work on drinking enough Water throughout the day and eating consistently throughout the day while watching the calorie counts. My weekends are fine, it is my crazy work days that I have to really work at eating and drinking the right way. I am sticking to the Protein Shakes to make it consistent and easier for now. One day at a time. I have been proud of myself for not cheating on cake, ice cream or some other fabulous concoction that someone has either made or brought into work. This is a long process, but each day I feel stronger mentally and physically. I know there will come a day when I will cave and take that bite of some forbidden thing, but I know that it is just one bite and that I cannot beat myself up too much over it.

This all sounds great now, but as long as I can keep my mental and physical focus next month and the following months......that is the true test.

I hope that everyone else is feeling positive results from the lap-band as well.

So, I had surgery about 2.5 weeks ago. I have been struggling with food the last few days. I have been so hungry! I am on puree's, get between 60-80 grams of Protein a day and still want "Some food to chew on". THe last few days, live had little pieces of meat, puree mashed potatoes with added Protein and still find myself having cravings. I am down about 20 lbs but find myself struggling with wanting to eat father then puree's.

Don't know if this whole thing is centered around "that time of the month" but struggle for sure!

So, I had surgery about 2.5 weeks ago. I have been struggling with food the last few days. I have been so hungry! I am on puree's, get between 60-80 grams of Protein a day and still want "Some food to chew on". THe last few days, live had little pieces of meat, puree mashed potatoes with added Protein and still find myself having cravings. I am down about 20 lbs but find myself struggling with wanting to eat father then puree's.

Don't know if this whole thing is centered around "that time of the month" but struggle for sure!

Today for some reason my head hunger has been unreal!! Nothing I'm eating is making me feel satisfied. I've been doing sooo well, so I don't know what's different about today. I'm happy tomorrow I get to move foward to soft foods, maybe that will help some of this!

I am also 1 month post-op. I feel great. I start soft food tomorrow and also get my first fill in 2 weeks. I actually do feel some restriction even with an empty band. I get a little of the old shoulder pain if I eat more than a half a cup of pureed food, or eat it too quickly. I'm happy about this, since I'm leaving shortly on vacation and need that bit of restriction to stay on track. I'm down 21 pounds since about 2 1/2 weeks pre-op.

I too get the shoulder pain if I eat too much, which is nice considering the band is empty. I'm constantly having to remind myself to slow it down!

just checking in with my February girls. I'm getting pretty close to goal weight, and feeling great... how about everyone else?