Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone try Whole30?

I am going to start the Whole30 program on Monday. My husband and I are going to do it together - he is not banded. I was just wondering if anyone on here has done the program before?

Here is an excerpt from the website:

What is the Whole30®?

Certain food groups (like sugar, grains, dairy and legumes) could be having a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it. Are your energy levels inconsistent or non-existent? Do you have aches and pains that can’t be explained by over-use or injury? Are you having a hard time losing weight no matter how hard you try? Do you have some sort of condition (like skin issues, digestive ailments, seasonal allergies or fertility issues) that medication hasn’t helped? These symptoms may be directly related to the foods you eat – even the “healthy” stuff. So how do you know if (and how) these foods are affecting you?

Strip them from your diet completely. Cut out all the psychologically unhealthy, hormone-unbalancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups for a full 30 days. Let your body heal and recover from whatever effects those foods may be causing. Push the “reset” button with your metabolism, systemic inflammation, and the downstream effects of the food choices you’ve been making. Learn once and for all how the foods you’ve been eating are actually affecting your day to day life, and your long term health. The most important reason to keep reading?

This will change your life.

We cannot possibly put enough emphasis on this simple fact – the next 30 days will change your life. It will change the way you think about food, it will change your tastes, it will change your habits and your cravings. It could, quite possibly, change the emotional relationship you have with food, and with your body. It has the potential to change the way you eat for the rest of your life. We know this because we did it, and tens of thousands of people have done it since, and it changed our lives (and their lives) in a very permanent fashion. (Need convincing? Just read some of our stunning testimonials.)

I've not tried it before but am starting Feb 15th. I've heard some really good things from close friends who have tried it. Good luck!

In my opinion and from what my NUT said we need a little from all food groups. We need things that are in dairy, we need a certain amount of carb, even salt and sugar. The problem is that most people over do it with these things. My reason for getting the band wasn't to cut out foods or food groups it was to be able to cut my portions down and still stay satisfied. Thus far the band is really helping, however I still have to fight the urge to eat when I am not hungry sometimes or to eat to much at one time.

In my opinion, again mine, I don't expect you to listen or to really care, but I feel like before trying anything like this you should consult your surgeon and or NUT.

Good Luck

Thanks for the feedback. My nutritionist is aware. I agree with the fact that our body needs all those things but in a natural way. So I will be getting sugars, carbs and all that my body needs from natural unprocessed sources ie. fruits, vegetables. My band has helped with my hunger and portion size. Now I am trying to be healthy. Losing weight and cutting portions do not necessarily mean you are eating the best for your body. I am down over 120lbs and am working on eating to be healthy and strong not just to lose weight.

I am thinking of starting a Whole30 challenge again. I did it last summer prior to surgery with great results. This is the plan that my daughter and I used.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2004/05/zone-meal-plans-crossfit-journ.tpl