Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to forum, having surgery doubts

I am scheduled for lap band surgery in a few days but my family and friends keep telling me I'm not heavy enough to need surgery. I've only been on the pre-op diet for 5 days and I've already lost 8lbs. I started out at 203 and now weigh 195. The starting weight amounts I'm seeing on most posted msgs vary from 250-300+ lbs. Did anyone else start out in the low 200's? To me 200lbs on my 5'01 body is definitely unhealthy. Not much support from friends and family who say "of course the doctor says you need it, they need to make money". I've been thinking about Lap band for over a year and have read plenty of good and bad reviews. I think I'm having doubts now or is it just regular pre surgery jitters?

This is a personal journey. It has to feel right for you and your surgeon. Everyone has an opinion....dig deep and if this is something you feel strongly about...then do it.

Good luck on your decision!

This is a personal journey. It has to feel right for you and your surgeon. Everyone has an opinion....dig deep and if this is something you feel strongly about...then do it.

Good luck on your decision!

I agree. People said the same thing to me. They thought i wasnt heavy enough. I was 239 lb at 5'4. Go with your heart and what your body is telling you!

If you have tried everything else and have failed then maybe you do need the band. 200 lbs is a lot on a 5 foot frame so I agree with you there. I think this is something you and your doctor should decide. Honestly, most other people just don't understand what it is like to live in your shoes. To answer your question I think a lot of ladies on here have started out in the 200 pound range.

I got mine done on 31 Jan and I was 238 and 226 after pre op diet now I am 222. I am 5'3. The first person to post was right. It is up to you. I didn't tell anyone for that very reason. I have never been this large until after children. I feel like I and a little woman inside a big body that does not belong to me. This is why I did it, to feel good about myself. You have a couple more days think on it and do what is best for you.

Especially for your height, I am sure you qualify for surgery. But, please, be sure that you do what is right for you. Your friends don't live in your body, you do, and only you know how that feels. I don't think any reputable surgeon would operate on you just to make money. It is pretty normal to be having pre-surgery jitters, and yes a see a lot of women on the forum in your height range getting surgery at your weight. Keep in mind, my ticker says 256, but I am 5'9" tall. Take a 9 inch slice through the middle of your body and guess what it might weigh. That is why surgery is based on BMI. Your starting point is about where I was there.

In short... it is your life and you have to do what is right for you. Your friends and family may be concerned about you. Take them to a seminar or pre-surgery meeting to learn the facts about the band. Many do not truly understand it.

This is why I chose to NOT tell anybody except just a few that I knew would not influence me in my decision. YOU have to chose if you need/want this and nobody else. These people are not professionals and they do not know the impact of obesity on your health. And like Sharonk said, go with your heart....

I only told my immediate family and 2 close friends. I don't want people at work to know because they can be so judgmental. My heart does tell me yes and my husband is my best supporter. Thanks so much for the replies!!!!

I am 5' and I weighed 163 at my highest and 154 after my preop diet.That meant I was obese.

You have to do what is right for you but don't let well meaning/scared/jealous family and friends put you off .Losing weight and keeping it off is hard. Very few people are successful in the long term without some kind of surgical intervention.

I am 5'4 and 223 my bmi is 37.8 which puts me at the morbidly obese range ,I guess it depends on how you feel and are the only person that can decide if its right for you.

I am 5'3 and was 198 when I went into surgery. I am now 174 7 weeks later. This was the best decision I ever made. I have been struggling with this extra 75 lbs for the past 5 years. The surgeon walked in at my consult and told me I was too thin for surgery. Then he looked at my weight and BMI and said it was my decision.

Two days before surgery I had to go to a cardiologist as my EKG was said to be abnormal (it was fine after all). The nurse told me I was crazy to get Lap band. I panicked with second thoughts for the first time. It hit me, "Am I really doing this?" Then the cardiologist came in and shook my hand and said he was proud of me for doing something to get healthier. He said my amount of weight will affect my heart eventually and he was proud of me for doing something that would extend my life. He congratulated me on my decision and I was so pumped as I left that I high fived him!

This is such a personal decision and you really can't let outside influences affect your decision. You have to do what's right for you! Good luck!