Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hazard of the job!

I absolutely love my job! I teach Family and Consumer Science, formerly known as Home Ec. It's great! I have several cooking classes and use the opportunity to try to teach the kids about eating heathy. They do on occasion want to cook things that's aren't as healthy. It can be so tempting!! I do have to taste what they cook to make sure it turned out correctly. I guess it's a hazard that I can live with!

Good for you! So consumer science is the new politically correct term for Home ec? I am and Old b***h so I took home ec and proud of it!

Yes they changed the name to Family and Consumer Science in 1993 and FHA to FCCLA in 1999.

I wish they had this in more schools. We are lucky enough to have a culinary arts program, but that "just" teaches about food preparation. My kids know so little about handling money, nutrition and how to read labels. I teach ESL and I try to teach label reading and medicine taking directions every two years so that most kids will have that basic info by the time they leave my school.

I'm a pastry chef so I know where you're coming from. I find that if I just test a small bite and count the calories, I'm just fine. The key is to tracking it because u can mindlessly snack all day and not realize u just put 1000 cals in your mouth before dinner. I'm living proof this can be done, I'm proud to say. I still eat sweets, carbs etc and I'm around cupcakes and cakes daily -I've managed to lose 60lbs in 3 months. It can be done! :)

I agree that they need more programs in schools. I teach classes on relationships, child development, career orientation, parenting, money management, basic sewing, nutrition, and cooking. All of the things that people need to know as an adult. The majority of these kids don't learn it at home. I'm very glad that my school has it.

My mother was a sub teacher for 30 plus years. When she would do leave absence for home etc teachers she would ask to use the "relief" food that the school cafe had in stock. She wanted to teach kids, who had this food at home, how to cook healthy meals with those ingredients. The principle however insisted she buy name brand food. Shaking head.

I wish life skills and budgeting where required classes. Especially in wealthy towns these Kids have no idea how to live within a budget. Why would they when their parents have huge credit card debt.

I teach at a rural school and the majority of the kids are low income. We are one of the few schools in our area that has this program and I think the kids are better off for it. I have kids 8-12 grades.