Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Eating Enough

I feel nausated. The last couple days I have been able to eat only half of what I am supposed to pre-op. I am not hungry at all. I force the Protein Drink down (sips).

Feel very tired. Extremely tired. I just took a three hour nap after church and feel like I could have stayed the rest of the night. Any thoughts? :eek:

Flashover

Flash, post your surgery date and food stages...aren't you about 2 weeks post-op?

I was very fatigued, too, when I couldn't eat very much. I did Egg Drop Soup and it helped alot. Keep up with your protien drinks as best you can. I also drank alot of chicken broth, but it's not as hearty as the egg drop. Can you do cream Soups yet?

Hang in there. You'll get your energy back. There's nothing wrong with a 3 hour nap at this stage, especially when your calories are so limited right now. High protien, high calorie, even good ole high fat stuff will help. Healing, not weight loss, is the goal right now.

Thanks Kathy.

I am 1 week post op today. Surgery was 4-10-06. I am eating 1 Protein drinks for Breakfast and 1 for lunch, a bowl of broth for dinner and 1 Protein Drink at night. I have almost no energy, I want to sleep most of the afternoon. At night, when it is time to drink that last Protein drink, I start to get sick thinking about it. I have a hard time finishing the broth. No desire to eat at all during the day.

By the way, I did go get the Aloe Vera juice and have been drinking that for a couple days. Certainly something you have to get used to. I drink about 3-4 ounces a day. Unique taste.

Any other suggestions?:)

Thanks,

Flashover

I felt worse on days 6-8 than I did immediately post-op but then it got better. Call your MD and tell him/her how you're feeling. They will either advance you to full fluids or a soft diet. Make sure you drink Water all day long to keep from dehydrating and try and force yourself to go outside and walk a little and get some fresh air. Once you go to a soft diet, you only have to drink 1-2 Protein Shakes a day. I hope you feel better soon.

hehe, unique taste, indeed, but Oh so good for you!

Elisabeth gave you good advice, call your doc about adding some soft mushies to your diet. Runny mashed 'taters, cream Soups, Cream of Wheat. Also check out the "Food Stages" Sticky in the food Forum. It has lots of good ideas.

You won't feel like this forever, Flash. Hang in there. :)

Editing:

I'm rethinking the use of the word "soft mushies". You need to look for "Full Liquids" at 1 week post-op. Anything you could sip through a straw. Check with your doc, though.

Hi Everyone-

Just heard back from the RD about my lack of energy and lack luster energy.

I am not taking in enough Protein and with the amount of walking I am doing 1.2 to 1.6 miles a day, I need to get at least 60 grams of Protein. I have only been getting about 40 a day for the last few days.

The RD suggested replacing the Protein shake with Carnation Instant Breakfast shake. Different taste and texture. Should help some. I sure appreciate this forum. You guys are great!

1 week post op today! ONLY 1 more week of full fluids! Then MUSHIES!!!

Flashover

If you're on full liquids, you might try blending some bean with bacon Soup until its smooth. Great Protein and very filling. I also heard someone else mention blending Dinty Moore beef stew like this. Just make sure its all liquid.< /p>

I agree with PhotoNut about the Bean with Bacon Soup - doesn't sound all that great but it really does taste good and is very filling.

About your Protein intake, you might want to try the Isopure protein drink. It's clear liquid and very light - not thick at all. Make sure you get the carb-free version - I think the blue one tastes the best. Don't get me wrong, none of them taste GREAT, but the blue one has the least protein-y aftertaste! Best of all, each 20 oz bottle has 40 grams of protein so there's less dreading of yet another protein drink. Yack. When you get to full liquids you might try a vanilla flavored Protein Powder (I like Body Fortress at Wal-Mart for about $16 for a big tub of it). Mix two scoops - equals 40 grams of protein - in 1 1/2 cups of fat free milk with 3 tablespoons of sugar free, fat free chocolate pudding, and a tablespoon of reduced fat creamy Peanut Butter. It tastes like drinking a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! Mmmmmmm. I actually look forward to this drink but because it is higher in carbs and calories, I alternate between this and the blue Isopure. It's been working like a charm. I'm 6 weeks post op tomorrow and have lost 22 pounds so far!

Welcome to the LapBand club! I'm sure your energy level will rise quickly with the full liquid and then the mushie diet.

DonnaB, I have to tell you, you have had some great ideas! After reading your last post to me, I went online and researched the Isopure Protein drink with No Carbs. I found them in a local store and sent my wife out for some. After sipping on the blue raspberry for the last couple hours I am starting to feel better again. We bought three bottles at $3.89 a bottle, not cheap but a lot better than drinking those darn Protein shakes. I couldn't even bear the smell of them anymore.

It feels good knowing I am getting a good daily supply of Protein from the liquid Isopure. Great suggestioin!

Flashover:nervous