Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

cough with congestion 3 days post op

Hi meli

I am 13 days post op today, I occasionally had a bit of a cough with some flem last week (my little boy has a cold though and it's quite hot where I am so we have a lot of fans and air con going which may have also contributed) not to scare u but I have read that if u cough a lot through the night while sleeping it could mean a dislodged band although I am sure there would have to be other symptoms as well,

How are u going with it all? I was I'm a lot of pain the first week post surgery, I felt like something was wrong with me as everywhere u read people said they felt nothing, if u need to talk or ask question feel free to ask me (I had so many qs and still do good to have a fellow bandit to bounce them off!)

I am doing well. I am really sore around the port and swollen. My other incisions aren't bothering me whatsoever. My cough is only in the morning right now and I have asthma so that may have something to do with it. How are you feeling now? When Did you feel like you were hungry? I've forced myself to eat two Protein Shakes a day just to gain some energy. I don't feel hungry at all.

Yeh I would say it would be ur asthma, but make sure u check in with ur doc just to be safe,

I had a lot of pain in my gut but once I started walking it was only my port site that was sore and is still uncomfortable even now (I think that can't take several weeks to feel normal again)

It was funny for me up until day 4 I wasn't drinking anything other than juice and Water and day 4 I had my first Protein shake, then day 5 I was hungry so had some fat free Tomato Soup then by day 8 I was starving so spoke to my clinics dietician about moving into the pureed phase early and tonight was my first problem night although It was the first night I rememberd not to drink while eating and I only got through half a cup if dinner so yeh the hunger kind of came on from me out of no where really but I had read things about it being a sign u are healing and to talk to ur dr about moving into the next post op diet stage I have done pretty well with my weight so far and have Ben doing a lot of wAlking I am glad I went through with it all :)

It's really important to breath deep and cough after surgery. When they put you under anesthesia, they put a tube down your wind pipe to help you breath. This irritates your throat considerably. The anesthesia itself depresses all your body functions- or makes it all kinda "sleepy"- including your respiratory system. Because of all this, you're at a higher risk of pneumonia.

A cough and phlegm isn't unusual after surgery at all, but it's real important to cough to get all that gunk out of your chest. Hug a pillow if hurts, but don't try to stop the coughing. It's coughing that stuff up that will keep you from getting pneumonia.

Best wishes.

Great post I needed this answered. Also are you tight in your port area? I don't feel hungry and my stomach feels tight