Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and excited at the same time

I have been calling my doctor's office every other day for 4 weeks now in waiting. First I was waiting for the paperwork to be sent to the insurance company for approval. I was first told that it was submitted only to find out on my call the following week that the girl responsible had the flu and was out the entire week and that the paperwork had not been submitted as promised. At this point I went directly to the doctor and voiced my frustration of having the ball be dropped by their office staff when I had jumped through every hoop required on time and without any delay. He not only apologized but overnighted the package to the insurance company and emailed me the tracking number so I would know it had arrived. Another 2 weeks of waiting and I again made the phone call yesterday to be told that she had personally spoken with the person in charge of my case at the insurance company, but they needed additional paperwork for approval. After the lie from her in week 1, I did not trust her at this point and I contacted the insurance company directly only to find out that I had been approved since January 17th and that they had not only sent a letter to my doctor's office directly, but to myself as well. As I was traveling, I had not been able to check the receipt of this in my mailbox. I immediately called the doctor's office again and asked to speak to the doctor again directly. He stated he needed to verify this and would call me back. Within 5 minutes I received a telephone call confirming that they had received the letter of approval and that we needed to schedule the surgery and begin the liquid diet.< /p>

My dilemna is this, the office staff is who I need to trust as well and I do not have that confidence. I definitely do in my surgeon, but I need to reiterate to him that I am having a problem with some of the staff. Although the insurance approval process is over and I really do not have to deal with this one individual again I feel that something needs to be done about her lack of truthful answers and to me uncaring attitude. As a patient I have spent the last seven months jumping through every hurdle that was required of me, yet the most important part of the process was mishandled and then just passed off with a lie. As you can tell I do not like it when someone states that they have done something, yet they have not and then to just try and lie to pacify someone is just not acceptable behavior. My surgeon and the nursing staff have been friendly, reliable and so easy to deal with. It really is just one person. How would any of you address this? Should I just mention something to my doctor and let him handle his staff, should I actually write a letter of disapproval or should I just let it go?

I really am excited to schedule surgery and get the journey on to the next level, but I am really upset over this.

I would say when you have your surgery and begin to go for your office appts and fills, speak to this "person" face to face. Explain to her how it made you feel with her untruthful answers because if she continues to act this way, it actually reflects on the doctor and he could lose patients. Unfortunately not everyone that works in healthcare should! A face to face might just change her behavior. Be objective and assertive but not aggressive. End the conversation by saying "I'm glad we had a chance to talk in person to clear up any misconceptions. I know that in the future you will treat me with respect as a patient of this practice and if I need anything I know that you will assist me because the doctor expects that of you". Good luck!

Thank you - that is a good idea. I don't like to feel this way towards anyone, especially at a place where I know I will be a frequent visitor. A friend of mine thought I should just wait and watch, but I really am upset when I think that she could do this to someone else that might not be comfortable speaking up.

Thank you - that is a good idea. I don't like to feel this way towards anyone' date=' especially at a place where I know I will be a frequent visitor. A friend of mine thought I should just wait and watch, but I really am upset when I think that she could do this to someone else that might not be comfortable speaking up.[/quote']

Exactly. All the more reason to nip her behavior in the bid in a professional manner

Good Luck!