Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When you are on the preop plan when did you hit ketosis and how did you know?

You breath is really bad that is one way to tell if you are in ketosis. If you are eating nothing but Protein you can bet your sweet but you are ketosis.

You breath is really bad that is one way to tell if you are in ketosis. If you are eating nothing but Protein you can bet your sweet but you are ketosis.

I am on three Protein shakes a day and that is it so it will be interesting to see when ketosis starts

If there are any carbs in those shakes, you won't hit ketosis. imo

It takes very little carb consumption to evade ketosis.

tmf

If there are any carbs in those shakes' date=' you won't hit ketosis. imo

It takes very little carb consumption to evade ketosis.

tmf[/quote']

My shakes are 27gm carbohydrate and I drink three a day

How many calories are in your shakes I ask because 27 carbs per shake seems really high to me. I know my Protein powder is only about 3 grams so if you made them with Water you can see that's a lot less than what you're getting.

There is 220 calories and 15g of Protein

My shakes are 27gm carbohydrate and I drink three a day

That is very high in carbs, so you are unlikely to enter ketosis. Look for shakes that have far less carbs, and more Protein.

20 gms/day of carbs is what Atkins recommends to achieve ketosis. You'll never make it on 81/day. Better find a low carb shake?

20 gms/day of carbs is what Atkins recommends to achieve ketosis. You'll never make it on 81/day. Better find a low carb shake?

These are the recommended shakes from the doctor so I can't switch

Hey wozzicat! Are you taking the slim time shakes? I was just banded on thursday by Dr.C.

I'm pretty sure I went into ketosis. How long are you on preop diet for?

I'm sorry- I may sound really dumb, but what is ketosis?

You should google it since it's rather complicated. The short answer is if you don't eat any carbs, simple or complex, Your body will turn to it's fat reserves for energy. One of the side effects of going on a no carb diet is that you lose a lot of excess Fluid weight and this doctor wants the patient to trim her liver down by going on a no carb diet.

Ketosis is the state where you have used up all your stored carb energy and your body is burning the fat for energy. Your body secretes ketones which can be measured with ketostix to see how deep in ketosis a patient is. Told you it's complicated :rolleyes:

tmf