Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Diet Support Thread :)

general_antiope
Sign in to follow this  

Hi everyone! just checking in to see how everyone is doing. How are the preop diets going? I have been suffering with some afternoon headaches the past couple of days. I bought Unjury products and I really like them. They have this chicken Soup flavored powder that is actually pretty good!

Danielle (and others) I hope your day was better than mine. Just closing out on day 3. First mistake I made was in the middle of the night last night I instinctively grabbed a granola bar when I was up to the bathroom. I have to walk through the kitchen, and for a year I have snacked at night. I got halfway through it before I realized what I was doing. I should have stopped then and there, but I finished it. So that took 140 of my allotted 700 calories. And it is not an allowed food, so I feel guilty. Did well for Breakfast, and lunch wasn't hard. At 6:00 my husband came home with a box of food that my sis in law sent for the family, because she knows I've been on bedrest. This sweet lady just wanted to help out with a meal for tonight. A loaf of 100% homemade wheat bread, homemade chicken noodle soup (she even makes her own noodles), and a very healthy carrot cake that she makes. I said no to it, set the table for my husband and daughter, and then left the room. My mouth kept watering for some of chicken soup, and before I knew it, I was at the table eating 1/2 cup of it. I did not have the bread but I did have 2 small bites of the carrot cake. It is veggies, right? (nope, can't justify that one). I know the soup is very healthy, but it is against what I am supposed to be eating. I drank a ton of Water, was still hungry, and then drank a Protein Shake. Now I'm satisfied, but mad at myself for caving in to that delicious chicken soup. I still think I kept close to the calorie limit, but went over my carb limit. I did get enough Protein in.

So that is my downfall. I hope it is the last one, but won't guarantee it. I figure that if I am losing, my liver is shrinking. My scale shows me to be down almost 10 pounds since I saw the surgeon. Our scale is off sometimes, but it can't be off that much.

Anyway, I hope all of you had a better day today sticking to your diets.

Kateeryn, I'm glad you got your veggies worked in. That should help a bunch. Can you eat any sauces on your veggies? What are you having tomorrow?

Cynthia, I think you are doing ok. No one is expected to be perfect. My nutritionist even said that often times they give very strict guidelines because they know people bend the rules a bit. I don't even have an official pre-op diet. I think it is 10% shrinking the liver and 90% trying to prepare your MIND for the after surgery and long haul that is living life with the band. This is my take on it but I am sure people will respectfully disagree. I look at it this way: I was going out to lunch and getting fast food on my way home more often than not. It was pretty disgusting when you think about it. Now, I have egg beaters in the am, Protein Shakes all day and yesterday I had a salad at dinner with just romaine lettuce and no other veggies. Maybe that isn't as strict as some of the diets other people have been put on but it is certainly 180 degrees from what I was doing before. Now why I only lost 3 pounds, that is yet to be determined :)

I plan to start the pre-op diet 4 days early. My hope is that by time I should "officially" start it I will have worked through any bugs... :)

Another day down. Day 4 wasn't bad for me today. Stayed totally within the guidelines for breakfast, no snacking, at lunch I had a Protein Shake and salad greens. For supper I had 3 oz baked chicken and veggies, along with 1 tablespoon of barbeque sauce for the chicken. So technically I cheated on the BBQ Sauce. I don't feel bad for that though. I've done well with the salad greens and only being allowed 1 teaspoon of light vinegarette (or mustard or lemon juice). Such a tiny amount gives just the right flavor without making it coated with dressing. I was surprised that I could be satisfied with 1 teaspoon.

Day 4 down, only 10 to go.

On a side note, I get to have the blood patch procedure to fix the spinal Fluid leak that I have. The procedure will be Friday at 10:30. This has been a miserable past 7 days while I have been dealing with this. Hopefully by Saturday or Sunday I will feel like being up and around again. I can't get much accomplished when lying on my back. Good thing I have a laptop to play on when I am in bed. That is the only thing helping to keep me sane!

So Day 5, the morning will be easy since I can't eat or drink before the procedure. The afternoon may be rough, but I have a strong will to do good. I can just see the nurses coming in after the procedure with crackers and yogurt, juice, etc. Strong will, Cindy, Strong will. I'll practice "May I have ice Water please?" Going out for lunch with my husband after is certainly not going to happen on this trip.

Day 6, I'm starving! But I'm sticking to the diet. How are the rest of you doing with the pre-op diet?

Day 10 here.. I was skeptical when people said it gets easier, but it really does! I drink 3 shakes a day. Thats IT. First 5 days or so were so hard dealing with the hunger, but I never feel hungry now. Apart from the cravings and those damn late night food commercials, I could live on this thing at this point. haha! My surgery is Wednesday and I have to fly there.. Wont be long now! Getting anxious.

My surgery is Wednesday and I have to fly there.. Wont be long now! Getting anxious.

Where are you flying to/from? Will you always be far away from your doctor? I hope you are able to get a good support group close by. My doctor is 1.5 hours away and I that is too far!

I am on day 2 of a very strict 14 day diet. I am allowed 4 - 6 EAS Advantedge shakes a day, 3 or 4 (8 oz. servings) of vegetable, beef or chicken broth and 64 oz. of Water a day. No milk, no caffeine, no food.................... That last part is kicking my tail end tonight. I am sitting in our office studying (decided be begin my graduate degree program a few months ago - yes I am a masechist) and I have come to realize that I am a "study snacker". I am looking for something to crunch. liquid does not crunch and I am doing my best to try and ignore this feeling of want that is occurring. I am sipping on a strawberry Protein Shake and I snuck a small baby spoonful of Peanut Butter, but still want crunch. My 7 year old daughter told me to crunch my ice in the shake. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but she is right. It will "crunch". The simplicity of it seems perfect in her mind, but in mine I am craving things that I cannot have. Which at this point really is the issue - my mind is overloading the reality of my hunger. I know that many of us deal with these issues, but I have to work through this and get it out.

I know I can do this - mentally and physically. Cravings are just the minds way of trying to keep you familiar with the habits that you have created, good, bad or indifferent. This practice of futility (posting my frustration), is not giving into the craving, but is letting my mind get rid of this emotional outburst of need. I can now realize the little things, that are really not so little when they add up. My snacking mode while studying is also my snack mode while working. You really do not realize the bad habits that you create for yourself until you restrict or change your pattern.

Day 2 is almost over and there are 10 more short days to go. The next challenge will be how I handle my new liquid only diet at work, where only a couple of people know and the ladies all bake and bring goodies for everyone. Training sessions and lunch meetings are the standard, so I am putting together my list of excuses now so I can survive the pre-op (2 weeks), post-op (2 weeks) and mushy stage (1 week).

I CAN do this, many others have before me and I am using them as inspiration. Thank you for letting me vent.

You can do it Cindy! :)

Where are you flying to/from? Will you always be far away from your doctor? I hope you are able to get a good support group close by. My doctor is 1.5 hours away and I that is too far!

I'm far! Newfoundland Canada and flying to Toronto. it's a 3.5 hr flight. A local doctor will do the fills, but yes, It's a little scary not having the support here.. Hoping this site can be a big help.

I am on day 11 of my liquid diet and It has gotten easier for me......don't get me wrong I am hungry but at least my stomach doesn't make those horrible sounds.... I think it knows I am in starvation mode! I just can't wait for Tuesday to start this new journey of my life! I have been dreaming of this since July and it is days away...somebody pinch me!! I am down 14 pounds since I started the liquid diet and really hope to be down another 6.........wishful thinking. Thank you all for your post it really helps me know I am not alone! Wishing you all much success with our pre op....remember keep your eye on the prize!

meganb0216, It is reassuring to hear that it is getting easier. Good job on making it 11 days. Tuesday doesn't seem very far away. Good luck to you.

HELLO ALL!

I found a place to order a couple of free samples of Protein Shakes. It is a vanilla ice cream flavor. Says it takes 4-6 weeks, don't have to pay shipping. You have to sign up to receive a magazine by email, but I'll unsubscribe to that later if I'm not interested.

Here is the link if any of you are interested. I'm all about saving money any way I can.

http://www.mysavings.com/free-samples/pro-complex-protein-shake/3319/#

I'm on day 3 of pre-op. Should be day 4 but I started 1 day late because I needed my approval letter in my hand (which I did receive). But all in all, I'm doing better than my mind told me I'd do!

My pre-op is 3 high Protein Shakes and 1 meal (consists of lean meat-4oz, starch-1/2 cup, veggie-1cup, fruit-1, low fat milk-4oz, fat-1tsp). I break the meal up during the day so I'll eat the fruit somewhere mid-day, and I might eat the starch or veggie separately.

I'm actually having a problem getting the last shake in! I've been waddling in Water (I love Water, but have increased my intake), and I can have sf popsicles, sf Jello, broth, Decaf tea, diet snapple, crystal light & Protein Drinks.

I purposely stayed away from home on Saturday because I knew if I were in the house, I'd go in the kitchen to cook! It really helped. I had Jello in the car and plenty of water. Did a lot of window shopping (keep my purse in the car).

But I wanted to share that I have tried unjury and I like them..ordering more. But what I really like is the Baractric Advantage Protein shakes...especially the Orange Cream. Tastes just like a creamsicle!!! They are more expensive than Unjury, but they're good. I bought one of different flavors (chocolate, banana, vanilla), so I'll let you know about them.

So, because I leave in Europe, it takes longer for me to get my orders, so I'm already re-ordering.

So...all in all...this isn't so bad. I'm t-minus 11 days and counting! I'm getting things in place here at home since I live alone (daughter away in college), but I have a great support system here with my friends-one of which has had the lapband surgery at the same hospital. So she's been in my ear with tons of information. She had her surgery Nov 2011 and is doing well.

We CAN do this.. .YES WE CAN!!! :rolleyes:

Hi all - getting some last minute hydration in for my surgery tomorrow. All in all I did OK on the pre op diet. On Friday I took my 3 month old out for a day at the mall. I was under 1000 calories all week but then Friday it caught up with me. I went to the food court and walked around, completely not tempted by anything bad (amazing!!!) but I started getting faint and woozy. That never happens to me. But the dizziness would not stop, and I started getting scared, I was 30 miles from home at a huge mall with my baby...alone. I was waiting at a smoothie bar to get a Protein Shake and then went instead to Subway and got a low fat sandwich (6" flat bread with chicken, spinach, Tomato, no cheese or dressing). Can I tell you how delicious it was? Hah. Oh well, never to be eaten again. It helped.

I was dizzy for another hour, then it subsided. As expected I just despise liquid diets and basically stuck to low fat the rest of the weekend, under 1000 calories and 35g of fat. I also have been getting in 50+g of Protein, so I'm sure my liver is a happy camper. Gawd, I hate Protein Shakes, lol.

Looking forward to having my hunger eradicated. I will miss pizza Hut, but I miss my size 12's and a belt more. :)