Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

nerves increasing before surgery?

I start the 10 day liquid diet today (surgery Jan 31) and last night I became a bit overcome with nerves and "gee should I really do this?" My husband had been holding back telling me he had some reservations after reading some online stories of complications, i myself have read some of those and this weekend it seemed like everywhere I turned online including here I am hearing stories of folks having terrible complications or not losing any weight. Normal?

I guess the nerves are normal for most people. I was afraid I would die in surgery if anything. :wacko: But just having the band won't necessarily make you lose weight all on it's own. You will have to work it by eating properly. I believe most people do well with the band. But some don't........

Totally normal! If you have done your research and gotten this far you have made your decision. Just cold feet. It is definitely the hardest thing I have ever done. I have worked harder the last two years than I ever had. I wouldn't change a thing though, it also one of the best things I have done for myself!

You can do it! Follow your doctors rules and get moving! Best wishes to you!

the weirdest thing was as we were having this discussion, a commerical for my surgeon's practice came on TV. I have NEVER seen a commerical for him before, we both looked at the TV then at each other and thought, "this is weird"!!!

My nerves got so bad 2 weeks leading to surgery and didn't end until a few days after. I was scared I'd be my surgeon's first patient to die from surgery and that I'd hate having a lap band and that my body would reject it. None of these things happened. As I get older, I get more nervous with each surgery. I just want to make the best decision.

My surgeon told me to stop reading the negative stories online about lap band since they were scaring me and he would tell me the whole truth about success and failures. That's when he told me he never had a patient die and how it is reversible if that is what I want and how wonderful the follow up care is. He said a lot more. I knew logically I would be ok. It was just nerves.

But nerves did not mean I was not ready for lap band. I was nervous as each due date with each of my children got closer. (I also read birthing stories gone wrong and had to stop), I was nervous before my sinus surgery, and other surgeries I had. Soon I am having my tonsils out and I'm nervous about that too. Having children was the best thing ever, and each surgery helped me in the long run. In the end each surgery I had helped me and I reminded myself of that. I knew in my heart lapband would help me too.

I put my nervous energy into positive use since worrying didn't help. I kept busy, I cleaned a lot (and I'm not a fan of cleaning...lol) I organized closets, I prayed, and I smiled as I stepped on the scale during the pre op diet. SInce I knew that I was in a calm state of mind (nerve free) when I made the decision and said I wanted the lap band (after I researched the pros and cons), I decided to trust that decision. When I did go online for that 2 week pre op period, I would only read success stories to motivate me.

As far as your husband, he loves you and wants the best for you. In reverse, you'd probably be a little nervous to if he was making a life changing decision. It was good he shared his feelings with you, and now you know they are honest feelings.

Good luck!!!

Its normal to be nervous and of course most people always look at the people who have had complications. Most band failures occur because the patient was non compliant with their diet. Not because the band caused the failure. If you read the statistics you would see that only about 4% of bands actually fail out of how many thousands are done. If the failure rate was extremely high then the FDA would not let this surgery continue to be done. Pouch dilation occurs from over eating. Band slippage occurs from excessive vomiting from getting things stuck too frequently, band erosion comes from eating too much and forcing the band into the stomach wall. There is nothing to worry about if you follow your doctors instructions.

I have confidence in my surgeon and hve been in for support group where 20+ people talked about their positive experiences and I hope it's the case of the loudest posters being the unhappinest and those who are happy in many cases are out enjoying a healthier life not posting horror stories online.

WHY are you both focusing on the few that had problems? in life there is always a small group that don't do well. focus on your positive life and know that this is just a nothing positive choice you are making to keep you life and health possitie. Any change is exciting and causes unfomilar fellings. You will be fine.