Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sooo I'm finally seeking help with my weight issues

I thought I would be going through my insurance when I went in for my consultation, but because I had a hiatal hernia (which I'd had for a long time) they were able to do to both. I think I ended up paying $3500 myself for the lap band.

Our Dr.'s pre-op diet was not about proving you could do anything, but more about preparing your body for a safe surgery. We had to do a 2 week high Protein, low fat special diet. I've seen different versions by different Dr.s. The purpose was to allow the liver to be a little less fatty and rigid, allowing it to be more easily moved out of the way for the laproscopic procedure. It was not too bad and I figured I could do anything for 2 weeks to improve the safety of surgery. The by-product of a jumpstart on the weightloss was a great bonus.

Just another perspective on that pre-diet.....

I finally got myself out of the "I can do this naturally" bubble and decided to tell my PCP that I need help losing weight. He was Sooo helpful and I wasn't embarrassed at all. It took me about 3 months to build up strength to go to him about this. In my head, I thought he might think that I was lazy and seeking the easy way out even though I knew that I have tried every single thing and nothing really worked! I've been obese for 29 years and I'm only 29 years old! Anyway, I have HIP Medicaid and they would cover all weight loss surgeries pending its medically necessary. I was told by the customer service rep from the insurance company that requirements are a BMI of about 40, 6 months supervised diet with a licensed dietician or 3 months under a bariatric surgeon's supervision and something like high blood pressure or diabetes or sleep apnea etc. I really really want to shed this weight. I'm 5'8 and 340 pounds, I would like to get down to about 240. I'm waiting for a referral to a bariatric surgeon to take the next step. Will keep every1 updated and I really really appreciate everyone sharing their journey, it gives me hope and you guys are very educating so thank you. Keep sharing and keep moving in the right direction.

well good for you

just keep your eye on the prize and do what your dr;s advise..this will be your year :)

Congratulations on making the decision! I am 5'9 and I started my journey at 377 lbs. it took me 23 months to lose 220 lbs. I have a feeling when you drop the first 100 you will be motivated to go all the way! Best wishes for success!

I started a 6 month pre-op diet because was required by my insurance. I have a PPO. They taught us about Protein, carbs, simple sugars, etc. We had to keep a log of what we ate. After my 5th month my insurance changed its requirements and decided that the pre-op classes weren't necessary. But I finished that last month anyway. I paid for it and it certainly could hurt. But then after the classes i procrastinated for another 6 months. Finally one day I said "why am I waiting?" and thought "look where i would be if I had done this a year ago, or two years ago?" I am so glad I did it. It is a life style change but one I needed. Best of luck to you! I agree with Carolinagirl...keep you eye on the prize!

BTW...I think I ended up paying a total of $1000, including all the pre-surgery testing

Hello and welcome to this amazing journey. I was very much like you thinking I could do it myself and always failing. I finally broke down to my husband in November and it was the best melt down I have ever had lol! You will learn that everyone's journey is different but here is how mine is going so far. I am 5'7 with a starting weight of 354 which makes my BMI 55. I also have high blood pressure and I'm only 32 years old!! I attended a surgical seminar in November and determined lapband was the route I am comfortable with for my body. My insurance company will cover surgery with the following requirements: 3 month medically monitored diet, 2 years of documented weight, psych evaluation and I must have the surgery with a center of excellence. They will not wave the medically monitored weight loss because of my weight or health conditions. Now that I'm in the process I understand why it's set this way. I am learning the tools I need to be successful and getting my body as healthy as possible for surgery.

I located the Center of Excellence closest to my home and had my first appointment with a surgeon at the beginning of December. My surgeon also requires a letter of support from my PCP which my doctor was very supportive and sent immediately. They require that I loose 10% of my access body weight which for me is 19 pounds (I am 5'7 and starting weight was 354). I meet with their nurse practitioner monthly for the medically monitored weight loss and she set goals with me which were super easy to meet so far. 2 weeks in and I'm down 5 pounds!! I also had to have a sleep study completed which I actually just completed last night. My psych eval is Feb 1st. The 3 months are already flying by!

Good luck on your journey! I'm so thankful for this site. Read as much as you can everyone is so helpful here!

Hello and welcome to this amazing journey. I was very much like you thinking I could do it myself and always failing. I finally broke down to my husband in November and it was the best melt down I have ever had lol! You will learn that everyone's journey is different but here is how mine is going so far. I am 5'7 with a starting weight of 354 which makes my BMI 55. I also have high blood pressure and I'm only 32 years old!! I attended a surgical seminar in November and determined lapband was the route I am comfortable with for my body. My insurance company will cover surgery with the following requirements: 3 month medically monitored diet' date=' 2 years of documented weight, psych evaluation and I must have the surgery with a center of excellence. They will not wave the medically monitored weight loss because of my weight or health conditions. Now that I'm in the process I understand why it's set this way. I am learning the tools I need to be successful and getting my body as healthy as possible for surgery.

I located the Center of Excellence closest to my home and had my first appointment with a surgeon at the beginning of December. My surgeon also requires a letter of support from my PCP which my doctor was very supportive and sent immediately. They require that I loose 10% of my access body weight which for me is 19 pounds (I am 5'7 and starting weight was 354). I meet with their nurse practitioner monthly for the medically monitored weight loss and she set goals with me which were super easy to meet so far. 2 weeks in and I'm down 5 pounds!! I also had to have a sleep study completed which I actually just completed last night. My psych eval is Feb 1st. The 3 months are already flying by!

Good luck on your journey! I'm so thankful for this site. Read as much as you can everyone is so helpful here![/quote']

Hope everything goes well for you. How was the sleep study anyway? I have to do that too. In think I'm not going to be able to sleep knowing I'm being monitored lol.

PrettyGirlJey congrats on taking control of your life and health!! I've been down the band road before, it was the best decision I ever made. Due to rare complications (just constant leaks and a disconnect) I'm getting rebanded, but I will go through this again and again to keep my band. Did I already mention it was the best thing I did for myself? Haha. What a journey. You will succeed as long as you WANT to succeed. The band gave me that extra edge to make better choices. I can't see straight when I'm hungry, and just having that hunger controlled and the portions slowed down was the magic for me.

best of all, I love not always thinking about food, or being insecure. It really is amazing all the benefits you get from this surgery, and not JUST in the numbers on the scale! Keep us posted about your progress!

You can do it if you WANT it enough. Find a good surgeon. You did not mention high blood pressure' date=' diabetes or other problems. If you have any of these you may not need a pre-diet.

Best wishes to you and congratulations on taking the first step.[/quote']

Hello I'm new to the forum and have a few questions and I have seen u quite a bit I was wondering if u could be a help to me

Hope everything goes well for you. How was the sleep study anyway? I have to do that too. In think I'm not going to be able to sleep knowing I'm being monitored lol.

I don't think I slept long! I kept waking up and I'm typically a sound sleeper. It wasn't because I was being watched it was because of all the wires attached to me. I was afraid to move in case I disconnected something. I am still waiting for the final results.

I don't think I slept long! I kept waking up and I'm typically a sound sleeper. It wasn't because I was being watched it was because of all the wires attached to me. I was afraid to move in case I disconnected something. I am still waiting for the final results.

I had a sleep study as well, and I slept a little also because of all the wires and it also made me feel warm. lol.. I am one that has to sleep with a fan on me. The little sleep I did have was enough for them to tell me I had sleep apnea. ><

I met the surgeon today at the seminar and I don't think I want the lap band anymore. I have gastritis and I'm afraid my band will erode. I'm also worried about slippage and additional surgeries to remove the band. I wanted the band because I wanted something that was reversible or temporary even but the more that I think about it, my obesity has been permanent so why not a permanent tool. I realize that most people question their original plans but I think I'm going with the gastric bypass instead. Idk! I have an appointment with the surgeon on 3/5 maybe I'll make up my mind then.*sighs*