Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sorry this maybe tmi but I am 4 days post op and today I started having very loose stool. Sorry for the detail but I wondering if this is normal? I just introduced Protein Shakes and yogurt etc.. yesterday I'm following instructions exactly.

Yes, it is normal.Most ppl are constipated but a few of us got diarrhea.

I had to take a chewable Imodium only twice to stop it. Be sure to call your surgeon and find out what they would like you to do. They might want to make sure you don't have a bacterial infection, or maybe put you on pro-biotic.

Good Luck !

Ally - I also had the runs for the first few days post op and then I got constipated the following week when I started on mushies. Now I'm 5 weeks post op on solid food taking two Fiber gummies a day and I'm right as rain. Talk to your doc. I cleared the fiber gummies with mine too before I took them. Congrats on making it through the pre op and surgery!

Ally - So far I have to say everything has been great for me. I made darn well sure I was mentally prepared for all of this so I didn't stress any of the pre or post op diets because the food I love is always going to be there (McD's won't go bankrupt just because I'm not eating there every day!). I am on solid food now, but during the mushies week I ate pureed cottage cheese, soft scrambled eggs (made with skim milk), mashed potatoes and even some Gerber baby food (beef w/gravy, turkey w/gravy) that was just like gravy and I put it on top of the mashed potatoes. My doc only required 7 days of each stage so I didn't invest in too many different foods. I even ended up having baby food left over and gave it to my brother who has a 4 month old. The main thing is I take it day by day and basically don't worry about food. I eat what I'm allowed to eat and know that I would be back on solids soon. But I'll tell you what, when I started mushies I woke up extra early to make myself a scrambled egg before I went to work and it was the best darned thing I ever had! Even now on solids I have a whole new appreciation for food. Brussel sprouts for cripes sakes! Now who likes those? But I'm loving them! Whatever happens, know that you only have a few days/weeks to spend in each phase and soon you will be eating foods that are good for you and can be quite enjoyable. Don't let any of it get you down! :-) Whatever happens you can do it!!!

Many people have this, liquids in liquids out. Find out what to take for it so you do not get dehydrated.

its normal but be prepared for Constipation in the future...I have alway had a problem so pay attention to your fiber intake in the future. I just took a laxative yesterday and lost 3 lbs by morning , goes to show you how much you body can hold onto...

I just had my first bm today and it was liquid. I thought something was wrong until I read what you all wrote. Thanks a bunch for the helpful posts.

You guys were talking about mushies today...I made this today and I thought it was pretty tasty: a little bit of fat free re-fried Beans microwaved with a bit of low fat cheddar cheese to taste, stirred well and topped off with some mild taco sauce (nothing spicy).

Btw good topic and advise...nice to know I am not alone in this.

Thank you allywally for starting this topic. I had my first Protein shake today (4 days post op) and had very loose stool within 30 minutes. I was so afraid I was doing something wrong until I read this forum. You all are great sharing your experiences. I especially love liquids in liquids out. Makes sense. I called my doc anyway...waiting for call back..but at least I'm not freaking out here all by myself!

This topic is still under poop and not likely to get a lot of traffic. If you want to discuss recipes, I would recommend a new post.