Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op... Having some trouble

I am 5 days post op, had my surgery the morning of Monday the 14th, 6 incisions, Dr. Ikram Kareshi, a colleague of my mother's at Texoma Medical Center. I stayed one night and went home the next day. Everything is pretty smooth so far. Some pain controlled with medication. But I am having trouble POOPING! I know it's disgusting but I cannot poop no matter how hard I try. Pushing hurts my incision where my port is, that's where I've had the most pain. I've been drinking a pro biotic cultured milk smoothie called Lifeway Keifer... I hoped it would keep me some regular despite hardly eating and taking hydrocodone. Does it help do have your abdominal pillow to clutch while on the toilet? I've found that pooting helped with the gas pain but I haven't had a lot of pain doing that. Just any tips? Sorry it's a gross issue.

It's not gross, it's part of the process. I had the opposite problem and had to take Imodium.lol

Most Dr advice a stool softener, not a laxative. Some ppl even have luck with prune juice. You don't want to strain really hard or you'll end up with hemorrhoids.

I do advice you to call your surgeon and see what they recommend.

Good luck

Don't be sorry, it's an issue a lot of us have gone through. It's awful.

I would suggest a stool softener like Colace daily until you go. Make sure it's a softner, not a laxative, because a laxative will cramp you up and cause more pain.

A pillow may help but you should really try not to strain that hard. I'm sure this won't thrill you, but you may even want to consider a suppository or an enema. If it's "right there", and you're straining, either one would likely move it out finally for you. Plus, you'll have immediate relief and feel so much better.

Good luck and hang in there!

you are only 5 days out also... depending on the diet they have you on. You might not have a lot of poo in there. Dont push! Definitely follow the fine ladies above advice and call your doctor. Above all do not strain or push hard. There is a nerve in your rectum that can cause you to get whoozy and all sorts of things if you push too hard. If your dr oks it the stool softener would be the way to go.

Good luck! lol BTW I love this forum because people here are honest. Its a function of the human body! I joke with my husband that I feel like my grandad now. I am just waiting for my next big toot! LOL