Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4cc in a 10cc allergan band

I had my surgery 11/27/12...3 weeks ago had my first fill and scheduled for another fill next Thursday 1/24/13 I don't feel any restriction at all food wise! Is this normal? I have lost 20lbs total from the pre op liquid diet until now! Very frustrated!!! I feel as though I can eat more than I did prior to my first fill! The only restriction I have had through this process is right after surgery I felt restriction after just eating jello...is this normal?? Someone please help!!!

Yes, it's totally normally. For one thing the swelling from surgery is now gone so the band is fitting looser. Plus, it takes most people multiple fills before they have adequate Fluid in their bands.

Please understand that adequate Fluid in your band or not, the band isn't supposed to physically stop you from eating anything. This is why it's so important as a bandster we stick to a cup or less of food per meal. The band is supposed to keep satiated on less for longer periods of time, not stop you from eating. Here's a link that explains it very well: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Best wishes!

I was banded a little over a year ago(11/28/11). I lost 12 lbs the first two weeks and then nothing for the next 3.5 months. Then I got my 3rd fill and met with my nutritionist. The weight began to fall off after that. Relax, what you are experiencing is very normal and has happened to many of us. Seems like I was hungrier after the surgery than ever before. But, I was a good boy and ate healthy foods, but maybe not the 1/2 cup I was told to eat. Still, I didn't gain weight during the 4 months post op.

tmf

Yes that is definitely my case, I am just not sure if i can tell the difference between restriction and feeling full, because I definitely am not feeling full, and I don't wanna eat to much for fear of stretching out my pouch! I guess what I don't understand is when I went back for my pre op appointment my dr told me I could eat solid foods, I have saw on here a lot of people continued on a liquid or Mushie diet, I did not...I was able to eat chicken, steak, salad just about any food...and I have remained the same weight not losing or gaining weight...very aggravating!!! Started Zumba classes and the couch to 5k program...down in the dumps!!!

Restriction for me and I believe most of us is when you eat food and the food may stick or get stuck between your pouch and stoma(band). You will feel this like it's a lump in your chest. For me, it's like a golfball is behind my sternum placing pressure against my chest. It's mostly uncomfortable and touches on mild pain. You'll slime until the food passes through the stoma into the lower stomach. You really can't eat anymore at this point as there is no place for the next bite to go.

Food only remains in your pouch about 1 minute so if you overeat, you'll just feel full. If you eat too fast or too much over a long period of time you can stretch out your pouch but it's nothing to be concerned about at this time. Right now you should be eating healthy food from your nutritionists list of allowable foods for the phase you're currently in?

So, restriction is just a signal that the band is working and that you need to eat slower and chew more. No reason to be down since this is normal for most bandsters.

tmf

Restriction for me and I believe most of us is when you eat food and the food may stick or get stuck between your pouch and stoma(band). You will feel this like it's a lump in your chest. For me' date=' it's like a golfball is behind my sternum placing pressure against my chest. It's mostly uncomfortable and touches on mild pain. You'll slime until the food passes through the stoma into the lower stomach. You really can't eat anymore at this point as there is no place for the next bite to go.

Food only remains in your pouch about 1 minute so if you overeat, you'll just feel full. If you eat too fast or too much over a long period of time you can stretch out your pouch but it's nothing to be concerned about at this time. Right now you should be eating healthy food from your nutritionists list of allowable foods for the phase you're currently in?

So, restriction is just a signal that the band is working and that you need to eat slower and chew more. No reason to be down since this is normal for most bandsters.

tmf[/quote']

I'm sorry this is not correct. Restriction is not painful. And getting stuck is not really a sign of restriction. If your food is getting stuck on a regular basis or you're sliming you are too tight. Restriction means feeling satisfied on 3 ounces of Protein and some vegetables and then not feeling hungry for 4 or 5 hours.

That's the case I can eat larger portions and not feel full but I do try to watch my portions sizes due to fear of the pouch stretching...don't have any signs of this happening though...

I posted this in response to another bandsters question, but it may be applicable here too. It really is about restriction for me. I don't do well managing 1 cup of food per meal unless I have restriction. THATS why I needed the band.

Oh how I wish every office that gave fills had a fluoroscope machine to give them with. My doctor ( whom I REALLY, REALLY like )never had a problem finding the port, but there are advantages to using one. Heres my story about fills. My Doctor's office got the machine about a year after I had been banded. Only after the first fill using flouro, did he confirm what I had been saying for about 5 months... I had NO restriction. Because my band had come undone. Yes, the band had come unsnapped. I knew when it happened. My Dr's first to have this happen with hundreds of bands placed. Dr fixed it asap! Now all his fills are done using the machine....and now, standing up. Never any trouble finding the port. Never ANY pain. He/You can see the restriction as the adjustment happens. Your Doctor can get you so much closer to restriction by looking at it instead of guessing. My insurance, Aetna, pays for my fills. If your self pay, it is more expensive. BUT SO WORTH IT