Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am about 1.5 months into my pre op diet monitoring and I just found out yesterday that I have sleep apnea :( I was super upset that I have this even though I was almost 99% sure I did to have it to hear that I have "severe off the charts" obstructive sleep apnea crushed me. The only good thing about this diagnosis is that my MD said it has now basically guaranteed my insurance will cover the surgery because until this diagnosis I had no other co-morbidities. I was worried about this because my BMI is on the "low" end for my insurance (although I don't know how 41 is considered a low number but oh well). I am now more then ever determined to lose the weight. My question is has anyone ever heard of anyone with sleep apnea get denied by insurance if their BMI was under 40? I am still worried about it even with everyone at the doctors office telling me that I will get approved.

I think you should be fine. And good luck!

I've read that sleep Apnea goes away with weight loss. I hope so. I can't wait to sleep without a Bi-Pap machine!

In the interim, be very glad you were diagnosed and are being treated. Having severe apnea can cause many serious health issues, adds strain to the heart, and your energy level is way down from not getting proper sleep. It is a Godsend that you have been diagnosed and hopefully, it will go away.

I am down about 70 lbs and not sure if I will ever be rid of the apnea (runs in family members of all sizes); however, I know I need to get my machine adjusted w/ the weight I have lost as it is waking me up w/ the air pressure too high now. That's a good sign for me! :)

Hang in there, good things are coming... :)

I had a sleep apnea but it wasn't severe. They wanted me to use a CPAP machine to sleep but I never bothered getting one because there was no way I could sleep with that thing on my face. (I never said that was a wise decision lol)

But, a year later after losing 175 pounds, I don't have a sleep apnea anymore. In fact, I don't even snore at all anymore. It's pretty awesome.

So I am about 1.5 months into my pre op diet monitoring and I just found out yesterday that I have sleep apnea :( I was super upset that I have this even though I was almost 99% sure I did to have it to hear that I have "severe off the charts" obstructive sleep apnea crushed me. The only good thing about this diagnosis is that my MD said it has now basically guaranteed my insurance will cover the surgery because until this diagnosis I had no other co-morbidities. I was worried about this because my BMI is on the "low" end for my insurance (although I don't know how 41 is considered a low number but oh well). I am now more then ever determined to lose the weight. My question is has anyone ever heard of anyone with sleep apnea get denied by insurance if their BMI was under 40? I am still worried about it even with everyone at the doctors office telling me that I will get approved.

had to do a sleep test (before surgery). ended up after 2 overnight stays with a cute litle cpac (and i even got me pink hosing/tubes)....flash forwards to 7 months out. cpac no longer needed...so losing weight does help. and yes, it may help (get the surgery) knowing you have apnea but will be up to your ins/dr to decide.....keeping my fingers crossed for you :)