Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fell off the wagon

The first 5 months of wls went very well. I dropped a lot of weight. Then I started getting lazy about cooking. I've been going out everyday which has put a dent in my wallet and lifestyle change. Has anybody else had this experience? Feeling like you have lost control and back to old habits? If so, how did you get back to eating healthy again?

Your story sounds like every diet I have ever been on over the past 30 years....start out good, loose weight, then after 3-5 months, old habits begin to creep in, then I rationalize....before I know it the diet is over and I begin to gain it all back, if not more than I started with......

But, speaking for myself now, the lapband is not a diet....I have this thing placed around my stomach, and adjusted tight enough, that even if I wanted to, and I have tried many times....it is impossible for me to "Fall off the wagon" If I tried to overeat it would only create problems....pain, sliming, and spitting it all up in the toilet! Even so called "slider foods"...I cannot over eat with Soup without the same results....

And that's just the Portion Control aspect of my band....there is also hunger / craving issues that were resolved........

So, speaking from my experience, it has always been about the band....... and whether or not the band is doing what it was designed to do, and what I expect it to do.....

And I always made that clear with my Dr....fortunate for me he is aggressive also....

That's why I had this surgery in the first place....

I'm not trying to preach....just sharing the way things have been with me and maybe others can relate...if not, then that's OK too.....

The first 5 months of wls went very well. I dropped a lot of weight. Then I started getting lazy about cooking. I've been going out everyday which has put a dent in my wallet and lifestyle change. Has anybody else had this experience? Feeling like you have lost control and back to old habits? If so, how did you get back to eating healthy again?

well, you get back to what you were doing before by just doing it.

that means eating your allotted amount for the band (1 cup)....eating lean Proteins, veggies and fruit and drinking alot (and adding exercise will just put you over the moon)....sure we all go through the easier to eat out than prepare a meal stage, but what is important is you making healthier choices. this is about YOU. you are worth it. now you need to believe it...so start over today. right now....there is no cant.......there is only can.

i wish you all the success in the world

My advice is to not be too hard on yourself and just get back on that horse! Its just a bump in the road and there will be others you will do awesome! You know what you need to do. I also find cooking my own healthy foods makes me feel more satisfied and keeps me structured. I eat 3 half cup meals a day. I do measure and track everything. Good luck you will do great!!

Ok you fell off the wagan, not good, but pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go forward.

Many of us lead busy hectic lives and we all must find a balance. You must find a balance to your life.

As far as meals go I choose to cook each night and one night a week the hubs and I eat out or order out, but I choose healthy opitons when we do.

Some people find it easy to crockpot meals- put everything in let it cook while you are at work and when you get home - vola dinner is done. (great recipes online)

Some opt to cook meals on the weekend and place them in indiviual containers and take them out each night and heat.

Some great times savers I have found are steam fresh veggies in the freezer section- yummy and quick - add a little canned chicken or tuna you have a meal. Tuna is a great time saver- great Protein source and they even have the little packs that you can take with you and mix your own tuna salad.

In a pinch WW Smart One Meals - just watch sodium levels and calories.

Greek yogurt- add a little flax seed or granola for bulk and a few frozen berries and you have a yummy Breakfast or lunch.

There are ways to lead a busy life and eat clean, just think about ways you can fit it in and make a plan a head of time. Having plan makes it easier than flying by the seat of your pants.

My experience is similar to B52's so far. My appetite has diminished greatly as has my desire to eat junk. I eat when I am hungry and I generally eat what I want. My weight loss maybe slow at times but that is because I am not "dieting". I am just being me but only now with more Portion Control.< /p>

think about getting a fill and be sure you track every bit. along with all the above advise. gl you can do it/

Thanks everyone. I'm taking all the advice given on this thread. I forgot about my crockpot. You are right about the slider food. I can't go on a full on binge like I used to before the band. I haven't gained any weight. I've just been eating unhealthy and I feel gross inside. In fact I lost weight.

In my opinion a fill should be what you at after you take a look at what you are eating and how much your drinking etc. it should not always be the first go to.

It's a hard balance. I was banded April 2 and my weight loss isn't as quick as I would like but I'm finding I'm a much healthier me and my kids are benefiting too! I'm cooking smaller healthier meals for my family. Crockpot cooking is great especially when working. I can come home in the morning throw dinner in the crock pot and when I get up dinner is almost done! The band is a reminder that I didn't gain the weight overnight and it's gonna take time to get it off. It also reminds me I can't go back to my old eating habits or oh boy the pain is not pleasant! Hang in there and good luck!

Even though I didn't make this post... I'm in the same situation but I'm using my portion plate

By the way, once you are back on board... fasten your seatbelt. It is a lifelong ride!