Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here - BMI 31

Hi everyone, I was researching more about lap bands and found this forum. I am 32 years old and my BMI is 31. People look at me and don't think I'm fat, but I see fat when I look in the mirror. I am considering lap band as an option and I'm looking more at it from a preventative standpoint because I've been steadily gaining weight over the years. My dad has diabetes and heart disease (first heart attack when he was 42) and my BP runs a little high, so I know I need to do something now and not later.

I exercise 3-5 times a week. I work out hard. I do a combination of weights and cardio and by the time I leave the gym, I am exhausted. I have always worked out as long as I can remember and I will for the rest of my life. I enjoy it. I like to run but my weight makes it more difficult to do that now.

I am continually improving my diet, I cut back on sweets, drink more Water, eat more vegetables, eat more Protein and have cut way back on breads and pastas. My diet is better now than it probably ever has been, but I still struggle with losing weight. My diet is not perfect by any means, but I feel like there isn't much else I can improve on my own. I need help.

I have 2 degrees in exercise science and health promotion and it's embarrassing that I can't lose weight. I lose some, then it comes back, then I gain some, then I lose some. It's a never ending battle.

I am attending a seminar at the location where I am looking to have lap band. I would be a self pay because my insurance won't cover it unless my BMI is 35. I don't feel like trying to gain weight to get up there and there are other hoops to jump through. The price will be $9,500 plus extra for fills.

Any thoughts, recommendations? I know everyone here has way more experience and expertise than I do.

I have. I have a minor case of hypothyroidism and I take a small dose of levothryoxine.

I think the new bmi is 20 or 25 and dot 35 anymore, I beleive check with your Dr., If your going to have the lapband have you considered the plication with it you may lose more not sure, just research it more.

Good luck with your decision, it sounds like the band might work well for you.

Hi welcome!

I probably could of written 3/4 of that letter. I had a lower BMI and gained some weight to get approved! The nurse said to me do not lose any weight so I felt very stressed until I was approved! Two doctors offices said I would not be approved! When I went to the nutrition class they called me and another woman aside and asked what our BMI was and lolled worried that we don't belong there . This journey is personal and even though I have a lower BMI instill have the same struggles. I have ALWYS exercise pretty much it's the Portion Control that does me in! I mean I have watched what my friends eat and they are stuffed with 1/4 sandwich or dinner, where I want to start on my husbands dinner I got banded in dec 14 and I feel very in control as of right now! I am following the rules! I am eating with smalll spoons and forks, taking my time to eat and not drinking with my meals! I am praying that this is it! Good luck to you!!!!!

My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday, March 27! I am excited but also a little scared. The pre op diet (10 days, 16 oz Protein shakes, 16 oz milk or Gatorade, unlimited broth, sf Popsicles, sf Jello, and no calorie liquids) has been hell. I have never been so hungry in my life. I have cheated a few times but have not had soda or caffeine since I started the pre op. I have lost about 5 lbs in 10 days.

I don't anticipate having soda again, I don't miss it. I would like to add some caffeine back someday.

I have been active all my life and have exercised regularly until my pre op diet. In 10 days I've only exercised 2 times but I have barely had any energy to do so and I am STARVING after exercise because broth and Protein Shakes do nothing.

I am a little scared of the surgery and recovery. My BMI was 33 but its probably closer to 32 now with my pre op weight loss.

I will update after surgery! Or check my blog for updates http://melissaswtlossjourney.blogspot.com

Your background sounded very familiar, I'm 32 tomorrow and started seeing the surgeon for a lap band at a BMI of 32. Fortunately in Australia, they will look at patients with BMIs at 30, particularly if you've shown efforts to lose weight and if there is another medical condition to be concerned with.

My surgeon mentioned my lower BMI start point and healthy lifestyle (in terms if food choices and exercise) would help me to achieve my goal. The issue I had was Portion Control, I was always hungry and rarely satisfied with what I was eating. Fortunately the band has finally helped me feel satisfied with a small normal portion of good.

I wish you all the best in your decision and good luck in what ever you choose :)

Everything went well with surgery, thank you all for your positive notes.

I was in and out in about 6 hours. I had about an hour and a half ride home but I kinda napped a little and even let my mom run a quick errand in the way home while I stayed in the car. I walked around while we waited for my meds. I wasn't hungry yesterday but tried to rehydrate myself and ate 2 Popsicles for my throat (sore from the tube).

The worst pain has been my sternum and upper back, I think from the gas and moving my diaphragm around. It's not unbearable. My stomach doesn't hurt much, only when I get up or lie down. I slept ok, but only about 2-3 hrs at a time.

I am going to try to eat some yogurt or pudding around noon, as instructed by my dietician.

Thanks for your positive thoughts. I am glad I am on this journey and excited for the future.

So glad you are doing ok. My Bmi is only 33 an I can still get the band Texas require atleast a 30 but having a hernia repair as well. Welcome to your new life an best of luck to you