Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

And so the hunger returns....

Day 6 post op and until yesterday I was struggling to eat 800 calories a day, yesterday I hit 1200 and an act of will to keep from going over that. I have so enjoyed this week of not caring about food, but the forums have fully prepared me for the for the return of the hunger demon. I am in the "full liquid" portion of the post op diet, so it is time to phase out things like Gatorade, replace it with Crystal Light and focus on getting the most nutrition for the calories. BTW, this post is not a complaint, just an observation. The hunger is still different, not centered around an empty stomach, but more a whole body hunger.

i found that as you heal, the appetite comes back it did with me..here is the mind over matter (want power)...cant stress enough to stay hydrated and use that Protein as fuel....terry, keep up the good work..been reading your posts since you started, great attitude

You can overcome. You have made great progress so far. Make sure you keep your Protein up front and drink plenty of liquids. It is a very common occurrence at this point. Be strong! The best way to get all your protein in is to set a schedule. 2-3 ounces of protein every hour, on the top of the hour, then sip other liquids for the rest of the hour and repeat. In waking hours that will net you more than enough protein. Good luck!

Day 6 post op and until yesterday I was struggling to eat 800 calories a day' date=' yesterday I hit 1200 and an act of will to keep from going over that. I have so enjoyed this week of not caring about food, but the forums have fully prepared me for the for the return of the hunger demon. I am in the "full liquid" portion of the post op diet, so it is time to phase out things like Gatorade, replace it with Crystal Light and focus on getting the most nutrition for the calories. BTW, this post is not a complaint, just an observation. The hunger is still different, not centered around an empty stomach, but more a whole body hunger.[/quote']

Good insight, Terry. In my experience, there are three different kinds of hunger: stomach-growling hunger, nutrition-needed body hunger, and (the dreaded!) head hunger. Each one feels different and each one is telling you something is needed. The trick is figuring out what is actually needed. Head hunger is the worst, because what's needed isn't food, but something emotion-related. Also, often thirst is mistaken for hunger. I'm excited for you and all the possibilities that await you! :)

Day 6 post op and until yesterday I was struggling to eat 800 calories a day, yesterday I hit 1200 and an act of will to keep from going over that. I have so enjoyed this week of not caring about food, but the forums have fully prepared me for the for the return of the hunger demon. I am in the "full liquid" portion of the post op diet, so it is time to phase out things like Gatorade, replace it with Crystal Light and focus on getting the most nutrition for the calories. BTW, this post is not a complaint, just an observation. The hunger is still different, not centered around an empty stomach, but more a whole body hunger.

Yes, the hunger does come back, and from what my Dr. has explained to me this is what I understand. The first couple of weeks post op I wasn't that hungry, why? Because I was still very swollen internally from the surgery and this can also put some pressure around the band area surpressing the appetite, and also anesthesia can for whatever reason cause you to not want to eat for a while. As a couple of weeks went by my hunger began to return and I was finding I was able to eat more than what I "thought" I should be eating. Soooo, at my first fill my dr. told me I very well may not feel any different at ALL. And sure enough I didn't, I just kept doing the best I could, and working through my hunger as long as I could, drinking lots of ice Water. Then I had my second fill.....same thing I didn't see a difference. I called my Dr.'s office about a week later and she said "You need more Fluid in your band" At that point I had 3 cc's in my band. I went to see her, she put 2 more cc's of Fluid in my band. I once again told her I was frustrated because I was hungry withing an hour or so after I would eat my very small meal. She said "It takes time. The purpose of the fills is to get you to where that hunger is supressed and it only comes a few times a day, when I should eat a meal (small meal). So if you have to come in every week for a fill that is fine. We will gradually fill your band till we are where the hunger has subsided. ." My Dr. and I feel that I'm getting close to that point. I am still getting hungry between meals, BUT it's getting easier to work through the hunger. I now make sure I'm not eating more than once every 4 hours. Every once in a while my blood sugar feels as though it's dropping (I get shaky, and just don't feel right), this is when I will have a couple bites of crab meat (chew, chew, chew) or something high in Protein. Soooo, with all this being said, lol. I'm sure I will see my Dr. this week, probably for just a 1/2 or a 1cc fill. I hope all this babble helps you.

Thanks for the responses, I am trying to learn from other people's experiences, taking it one day at a time, and not getting impatient and becoming aware of my relationship with food and the conditioned responses that I have concerning it. The other day I was fixing dinner for my family, and I accidentally spilled some, the next thing I know it was in my hand and half way to my mouth. Scared me to death! I walked away and told my wife I couldn't be in the kitchen right then, and she took over. BUT WOW! How many calories have I shoveled into my mouth without even knowing it.

Thanks for the responses, I am trying to learn from other people's experiences, taking it one day at a time, and not getting impatient and becoming aware of my relationship with food and the conditioned responses that I have concerning it. The other day I was fixing dinner for my family, and I accidentally spilled some, the next thing I know it was in my hand and half way to my mouth. Scared me to death! I walked away and told my wife I couldn't be in the kitchen right then, and she took over. BUT WOW! How many calories have I shoveled into my mouth without even knowing it.

I can so relate to ya here! I'm still struggling with not taking bites here and there while fixing meals for the family. It's hard, but definately gets easier.