Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating plain wrong

So my dr. Education before band was crap. Been learning more from here than I did there. I am 3 months post op. lost 28 pounds. But I KNOW I am eating the wrong stuff. Pretty sure nachos are not on the approved list. But they go down fine. I have had 1 fill and am at 4.5 cc.

So what should my meals look like?

I drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast because I am so tight until around 9am. lunch some days chicken salad on crackers, or a lunchable. dinner, out some days chili or nachos, at home chicken in the crockpot. Snacks just in the evenings. Anything chocolate I can get my hands on. Lots of Water and coffee during the day.

What am I supposed to be eating? What does a menu at this point look like?

Help

Most surgeons require meeting with a nutritionist but it doesn't sound like yours does. I would strongly suggest finding one near you, preferably one that deals with bariatric patients. They will help you not only learn how to eat healthy but establish food and calorie guidelines specifically for you and your lifestyle.

Best wishes.

Earlier this week I had several questions also. I was feeling confused and didn't quite understand what all the talk was about "restriction" as my Dr. never mentions the word restriction, and now after reading this article that I found on here http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html I understand why she doesn't use the word. Also, there are several tabs at the top of the article under menu, that have tons of valuable information. And Nachos are definitely not on the list of foods to eat. It seems crazy how easily the bad foods go down, but that is where self discipline is needed and learned. I'm learning and working on self discipline myself. I'm new to all this too. I hope this article helps you as it did me.

Most surgeons require meeting with a nutritionist but it doesn't sound like yours does. I would strongly suggest finding one near you, preferably one that deals with bariatric patients. They will help you not only learn how to eat healthy but establish food and calorie guidelines specifically for you and your lifestyle.

Best wishes.

A lapband support group is another optiong too. They are usually led by a Dietician. My insurance required me to meet with a dietician monthly for 6 months, this was part of the approval process. My Bariatric surgeon does not require this. But I do have plans to start attending a lapband suppport group this month.

My insurance required just the basics. My dr office is an hour away. They have meetings once a month but I can never leave work early enough to get there.

well, there is no wrong or right foods

only better choices.....by choosing to eat (bad, high fat, high calorie) you will not lose and could very well gain...you need to eat veggies and fruit and lean Proteins in small amounts (stop eating at 1 cup of food)....junk food is junk...that is what got us all to need wls in the first place..

you can read on the internet and on this forum what to eat, suggestions, guidelines, there is no excuse to not know...so start today by believing in yourself...leave the junk foods where they belong, on the shelf at the grocery store.

Why do you say your doctor education before band was crap? If they didn't give you a food plan to follow, did you ask for one? Or ask for a referral to a dietitian?

My insurance required just the basics. My dr office is an hour away. They have meetings once a month but I can never leave work early enough to get there.

i do not mean to rude, so forgive me, but you wrote 3 things about why you cant...you need to find a way you can....

do what you have to to make yourself well.

I understand, my Dr. is 1.25 hrs away. But there is a lapband support group that meets in a town about 25 mins. from me. BUT I have to say, my Dr. is by far my biggest supporter. If you have questions, call their office, talk to the Nurse, and you can also ask for the Dr. to call you back. I haven't had a chance to read on this sight what to eat and what not to eat, but I think a lot of it is just common sense, lol. Hang in there.

There are times that I eat chili but depending on the recipes sometimes it's kind of a slider for me. Nachos while I love them really are not part of my life anymore.

For Breakfast I have a fruited Chobani yogurt ( Greek yogurt has double the protein), mix in half a scoop of whey isolate Protein powder, unflavored Fiber powder and splendra to taste. I then add 2-3 broken up walnuts and about a quarter of a cup off Kashi go lean high Protein Cereal. I usually have this after cup of coffee at about 9 o'clock at work.

I buy a roasted chicken from costco on Sunday and use the breast meat for lunch all week. I weigh out 3 ounces of skinless chicken breast. In a mini plastic container I put low fat cheddar cheese about an eighth of a cup and then about half a cup of salsa. At lunchtime I cut up the chicken into small pieces pour the salsa and cheese on top and microwave. I also have the mini sweet peppers that you can find in a bag at the grocery store about 4 of them, and then some grapes or cherries for dessert.

I hate to cook and I'm exhausted after coming home from the gym. So I have chicken breast with spaghetti sauce for dinner. I buy the frozen vegetables that steam in the microwave and measure out about half a cup. And some berries or grapes for dessert. My doctor really does not believe in Snacks. If I have a "snack" it's a premade Protein shake on my drive to the gym from work. I try to wait until 1 to have lunch because by the time I exercise take a shower and drive home I don't eat dinner untill after 8 and even with the shake I'm hungry.

Agreed! If you want this bad enough, you make sacrifices.

If I didn't want it, I could give a zillion reasons why I can't.

But I do, and the main reason is for me, my kids and my husband! The three main reasons which drive me. Sure along with it are the benefits of being skinny, and looking better. But that's a bonus.

It's about being healthy. I'm not healthy if I'm on blood pressure meds, or cholesterol meds!!! And eating crap!

I'm changing my health style. While my family eats pizza, I make fish. While my family has Cookies, I suck a popsicle.

And it's paid off. I've lost, and have begun to feel energized!! I have a ways to go, but I'm on the right path getting there.

I try to plan what I will eat for the week. It helps so that I don't do the last minute stuff your face eating with the wrong thing. I've done breakfast: shakes add fat free pudding (gives good twist), eggs, turkey bacon or hot Cereal. Lunch: salad w/chicken or tuna. Dinner: Chick and vege. Portion and plan out and put in freezer for quick eating. And my office cabinet has canned tuna, Soups, drinks, Protein. I'm ready!!!!

I try to eat high Protein like tilapia, chicken, eggs, all cooked with veggies. I make big pot go chilli with lots of Beans and ground turkey. I cook most of my own food carefull with sodium and not much processed foods. I buy fresh chicken and freeze what I don't use right away. I freeze fish until I'm ready and I measure by volume 4oz for every meal. I also don't believe there is a breakfast food. You can eat what you want any time. Also don't forget to track.

I have been making an effort to ensure that the fridge and the freezer are packed with smart choices. My crockpots have been getting a work out. Check out emilybites.com or skinnytaste.com. Both sites have some great recipes.

Other items I have on hand

Hope this has helped!!