Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Checking in one day post op

Got banded yesterday. Recovery was a little rough. Chest was tight and had a hard time breathing. They wouldn't let me leave until my oxygen levels were up. Today I'm in a lot of pain. If I take my liquid Lortab and use an ice pack and lay very still, I'm okay. I've had a little nausea. My stomach is hungry but my brain and body have no desire to eat. I'm really paranoid about throwing up. When I had Popsicles and Soup yesterday it hurt my stomach. I'm confused about what the pain means because it hurts in so many different places within my stomach. Thankfully haven't had shoulder pain from the gas, but it still hurts to take deep breaths. Anyone have a similar experience?

Yes! I had pain when breathing in deep....it will get better I promise...I think for me, around day 4 or 5 post op when the fullness went away the painful breathing did too. Just please try to keep hydrated...small sips as often as you can. The liquid Lortab makes me nauseous so I was given the dissolving anti nausea meds...if you have them, they will help with the nausea....You're swollen and full of gas and it just feels uncomfortable I know. Walk as much as you can and within a week you will feel like a different person. If you have any concerns your doctors office is only a phone call away. Congrats on your banding and Best Wishes! :)

I had the same problem with my O2 levels. I had to lay in the bed until I was good and awake and tell myself breath in, breath out. In through mouth out through nose. It was rough waking up for me that was almost the worst part.

Hopefully, they gave you some antinausea meds, if not call the doctor you may need them. If you are having pain mid line area, nauseated especially if you sit or stand go to the doctor. Those are two signs of dehydrations, which is not something you want to play with.

Try and at least drink as much Water with flavor, Protein shake, even juice right now. Ginger tea may help, as the ginger is a natural anti nausea aid. Also, peppermint tends to help ease nause so get some mints or SF peppermint.

Hope you feel better soon!

The first 48 hrs is the worse. A lot of swelling and aggrevation. The best thing you can do for yourself is get up and walk around as much as possible. My Dr said every 2hrs walk. Did they give you a Spirometer (?) the thing you breath into? If they did use it, if not do deep breathing exercises.

Hang in there, every day will be better and better.

Congratulations fellow bandster!

It will get better! Unfortunately you have to move. Do you have some no sugar added or light juices? Sip on those. I think the evening of Day 3 was the worst for me. All of that gas must have started moving plus with my post-op discomfort I was miserable and wondering why I did this to myself! By the next morning I felt a little better and it was all uphill from there. Depending on your body and how much gas they used, it can take a while to get rid of it all. I thought it was all gone by now, but today I'm having discomfort and I'm thinking it's just soreness from the manipulation they had to do to get the band in and perhaps some gas that was still lurking. The nurse from my insurance company just called to check up on me and she agreed. It's hard but you have to balance getting enough rest to heal and moving around to get things going again. Congratulations and hang in there!

The first couple of days are the worst. Try to move around and walk as much as possible to help with the gas pains, and be sure to get your liquids in!