Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad news

I just got back from my first fill appointment and am absolutely devastated. My port has fliped to about 90 degree angle and even though my dr. spent about 90 minutes trying to get to it, it wasn't going to happen. I'm black and blue and sore beyond belief. I started crying right there and cried all the way back to the office. I'm a self pay and this means another few thousand dollars to correct the port. He is looking into doing it in the surgical center to save his patiens some money but that will not happen for several weeks. I have absolutely no restriction, spent so much money and feel so cheated right now. I'm sitting in my office with tears rolling down my face and everyone wonders what has happened. I just want to scream.

Anyone else with similar experience. How did you guys deal with it? My dr. told me that in a few months we'll look back and it will jus be a minor set back. He said he will give me a good fill, between 1.5 and 2 cc and it will go great after that. I guess I just need to hear that it will be fine.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Renata

2/6/04

205/188/135

Hi Renee

I have never experience that but I am sure someone else may have. I just wanted to tell you to keep your head up. I am sure that everything will be okay.

Birdee!

Hi Renata,

Like Birdee, I have not experienced this... but I don't think your doctor was very sensitive by saying you will look back in a few months and see this as a minor set-back... that seems especially uncaring given the fact that you are a self-pay. I don't blame you for being upset.

Do you have any idea why this happened? I just saw a post the other day from Ashanti and someone asked if she felt her port flip when it happened. I believe she said she felt a sharp pain... Did you have a similar experience? It sounds like you had no clue that there was a problem.

I have another question... sorry :think Everytime I go for my check-ups with my surgeon... they check the position of my port. Did your doctor do this at your check-ups before this first fill?

I am sorry that you have to go through this... I hope things look up for you real soon.

Take Care,

Renee

I just had my surgery on 3/2/04. Sorry this happened to you. My thoughts are with you. Try not to let it keep you down.

Good luck

Christine

I've been reading up alot on Mexican lapband doctors and hear that several of them are sewing the port into place. They have more experience because Inamed, the maker of one lapband, used several of them in the trials. They know to sew the lapband around the stoma to help keep it from slipping and are sewing the port also. If my insurance doesn't cover this surgery I'm going to Mexico for it. So far I've read that people that go to Mexico have had great surgeries and the entire thing, including hospital costs run from $6000 to $10,000. That also includes airfare, motel room, surgery, tests, some of the fills, hospital costs. Of course what the fee covers varies by doctors but they are more experienced and cheaper. Might be able to get your port repaired down there for $1000 or less.

Mexicanbandsters on yahoo groups is the place to find out about this.

I had my surgery done by Dr Lopez in Tijuana. He stitches the port down, but only uses 2 of the four holes to stitch.

My surgery was done 1/23/03, and in late June/early July I was reaching as hard as I could for something in the back seat of the car, and tore one of the port sutures out. OOOOWWWW is an understatement.

After a couple weeks of heavy-duty liquid Tylenol dosing, this discomfort was bearable. It was obvious that the port had flipped, as it stuck out more than before. When I went for my last fill in October it was confirmed that the port was flipped, but Dr. Carmen was able to manually manipulate it back upside right and gave me a fill. Unfortunately it did not stay in the correct position, and flipped again. The discomfort became too unbearable, so I had Dr Lopez repair it in early November.

I was put under full anesthesia (although I had been told it would be done with a local), and he did it at an outpatient plastic surgery office to cut down on cost.

The procedure cost me $1821 (I am self-pay). Yes, it was expensive, but I can't put a price on the relief from pain!! I'd rather have the pain in my wallet than in my body.

As far as equipment problems go, port problems are the most common. Flipping is common, and can often be managed by manual manipulation. However, if the port won't stay upright, and it causes pain, it needs to be surgically corrected.

I personally know of several people who have had to have the port surgically corrected. I do not consider port problems to be "rare", but the vast majority of people do not have to go through this.

Good luck -

Dear Renata,

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. Just know that you are not alone and we are all here to support you and help you.

I too am self pay. My surgery was done on August 8, 2003 in Mexico. My doctor also used a few stitches to keep the port in place. When I questioned him about it, he mentioned that once they stitch it then the chances of flipping are very rare (unless you rip it like Donali).

It might be a good idea for you to mention this to your doctor. Since you have to go through the process anyways, may be he can stitch it this time to prevent this from happening again.

Good Luck & Keep us posted,

Mary

Guest jakkieuk

Hi,

I'm from the UK and was banded 6 months ago.

I have had lots of problems with my band, including a leaking port which had to be changed.

I was re-ported last week and now have a fill of 2cc.

I don't really have alot of restriction at the moment and was worried that because I have been unfilled for 6 months I have stretched my pouch and therefore don't get full etc.

Although, to begin with I was filled twice and it took some time to discover there was nothing in my band!!!

Has anyone else had this at all? I have tried UK band sites but no one has had this.

I am thinking that this isn't going to work for me. Help!!!

Also I have not lost any weight yet with all this hassle.

Jakkie