Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

long distance running lapbanders ..a question...

Hey there! So last summer I trained for and ran/ walked a 1/2 marathon... so for me "long distance " is more than 6 miles...

I run intervals 3min run at a ~13 min / mile pace, walk 1 at a 15 min/ mile pace. But still working hard, heart rate up, sweating... the whole deal. I'm still in the 190 lb range, so a bit more to go before I'm trim enough to run faster and longer intervals.

So with that in mind, here's my question... do any of you who run long distances (for.me it's after about 90 min of running) have any trouble with abdominal pain? Like major, severe cramping - it usually hits me at the end and continues the rest of the day. I'm fine by the next day. There's usually a couple trips to the potty too.

Today I ran 13.8 miles, took over 3 hrs ( the last couple miles were in the dark,.trying to find the trail!). And I had the.worst pain I've ever had after running, even some awful dry heaving.

I've talked to my surgeon about it, as the was an issue last summer, he didn't seem concerned, said it was probably some temporary bowel ischemia, and some inflammation from the reperfusion when I finish.

I just wonder if having the Lapband in there is an additional factor...

I've tried everything, too. Different pre rum food sources, and timing of meals before and after. I eat energy gummies during, drink Water, but not tons. Coconut water for the electrolytes after... etc.

Anyone have this issue too and what has helped ?!

I am so glad you posted this question. I am getting ready for my second 1/2 marathon. My first was pre surgery. I have 4 weeks to train before the next. I have noticed I also get stomach soreness and extreme thirst. I am worried after the fill next week if it will be harder to drink or eat the power gummies while running. Do you alternate miles? Walk 1 run 1?

Have you tried drinking muscle milk or another type of Protein Shake after your run? I read an article in Running magazine that says your body needs calorie and Protein replacement within 45 minutes of completing the run. Maybe this will help with the stomach discomfort.

Bowel movements are pretty normal, personally I feel like I have to pee the minute I start running.

I hope this information helps.

I like to run first thing in the morning....as a matter of fact it is 5am here now and I'm getting ready to leave....

I like to run an empty stomach....I will take some liquid Protein (15gm) before a run just for energy...along with my Vitamins, Omega 3's, etc.,.....but no food because I want to burn fat...not the food I just ate.

Soon I will need to eat before I run, because I don't have much, if any, fat left to burn....but the Protein seems to help tremendously and I do not like feeling like I just ate when I work out....

I drink 32oz of Water before during and after running.

I will have a high protein smoothie after my workout....but this is also my Breakfast, not just a recovery.

As far as abdominal pain....it has nothing to do with being banded.....but everything to do with your body getting extremely "toned" like no other exercise can possibly do....

I have not lost any significant weight in about a year now.....BUT I have dropped 2 clothing sizes just the same, and ready to go to a third drop....that will tell you something about running!

I had someone ask me, right out of the blue, if I was a runner.....I said how can you tell?

They said I have the legs of a runner and walk (stride) like I run a lot...

That was the best NSV I have received in a long time....and never saw that one coming....

(did I mention I'm 61 years old?)

I am so glad you posted this question. I am getting ready for my second 1/2 marathon. My first was pre surgery. I have 4 weeks to train before the next. I have noticed I also get stomach soreness and extreme thirst. I am worried after the fill next week if it will be harder to drink or eat the power gummies while running. Do you alternate miles? Walk 1 run 1?

Have you tried drinking muscle milk or another type of Protein shake after your run? I read an article in Running magazine that says your body needs calorie and Protein replacement within 45 minutes of completing the run. Maybe this will help with the stomach discomfort.

Bowel movements are pretty normal' date=' personally I feel like I have to pee the minute I start running.

I hope this information helps.[/quote']

I'm surprised your doc will give you a fill before a race. I went to my surgeon for my two year follow up a few weeks before mine, and he told me to not even think about a fill until after the race, "once everything settles down" . He felt I needed to focus on my training and not limit my calories.

I find putting anything in my digestive system after a run makes it even worse. :/

I alternate in time.. 3 min jog, 1 min walk. I also can't do Water at the Water stations, instead I carry my own and take tiny sips to keep my mouth moist. I try to not over hydrate before or during as that just makes me have to pee ... and on some runs, there's no place to do that!

The abdominal pain literally feels like my guts are twisting and cramping. It's horrible. Ugh. But I'm all better today and snowshoed 5 miles. :)

I like to run first thing in the morning....as a matter of fact it is 5am here now and I'm getting ready to leave....

I like to run an empty stomach....I will take some liquid Protein (15gm) before a run just for energy...along with my vitamins' date=' Omega 3's, etc.,.....but no food because I want to burn fat...not the food I just ate.

Soon I will need to eat before I run, because I don't have much, if any, fat left to burn....but the Protein seems to help tremendously and I do not like feeling like I just ate when I work out....

I will have a high protein smoothie after my workout....but this is also my Breakfast, not just a recovery.

As far as abdominal pain....it has nothing to do with being banded.....but everything to do with your body getting extremely "toned" like no other exercise can possibly do....

I have not lost any significant weight in about a year now.....BUT I have dropped 2 clothing sizes just the same, and ready to go to a third drop....that will tell you something about running!

I had someone ask me, right out of the blue, if I was a runner.....I said how can you tell?

That was the best NSV I have received in a long time....and never saw that one coming....

(did I mention I'm 61 years old?)[/quote']

Awesome!!!

First, I tend to peak later in the day, and my weekday runs are usually in the evening after work. My long (>6 mile) runs are on Satur, usually early afternoon .

Doing anything on an empty stomach would make me dizzy and nauseous. But this last time I had a Protein Drink about an hour before my run and that was it,.so not a.full stomach at all.

I've had the same thing happen.. I've not lost much in the last year, but since I was running so much, everyone was saying how much weight I must be losing because my body kept changing and getting fit :)

I pretty sure the abdominal pain is from the ischemia, as my doctor suggested. I just get a really bad version of it.

I like to run an empty stomach....I will take some liquid Protein (15gm) before a run just for energy...along with my vitamins' date=' Omega 3's, etc.,.....but no food because I want to burn fat...not the food I just ate.

I will have a high protein smoothie after my workout....but this is also my breakfast, not just a recovery.

(did I mention I'm 61 years old?)[/quote']

Awesome!!!

I tend to peak later in the day, and my weekday runs are usually in the evening after work. My long (>6 mile) runs are on Satur, usually early afternoon .

Doing anything on an empty stomach would make me dizzy and nauseous. But this last time I had a Protein Drink about an hour before my run and that was it,.so not a.full stomach at all.

I've had the same thing happen.. I've not lost much in the last year, but since I was running so much, everyone was saying how much weight I must be losing because my body kept changing and getting fit :)

I pretty sure the abdominal pain is from the ischemia, as my doctor suggested. I just get a really bad version of it.

My doctor knew about the 1/2 marathon before my surgery and prior to that I have always been active. I do yoga 3 times a week and also cross train. I don't think he was concerned because my fill is 4 weeks from the day of the marathon.

I am thinking about trading my CamelBack for a Water belt since I am worried about the amount of water I can have comfortably.

I think it is awesome you are running in the snow. Your much braver than I am. I need to change my run time from evening to morning. This is all new to me. This is my second 1/2 marathon, my first was for sure a learning experience. How long have you been running for and what go you started? What do you do to keep yourself motivated?

My doctor knew about the 1/2 marathon before my surgery and prior to that I have always been active. I do yoga 3 times a week and also cross train. I don't think he was concerned because my fill is 4 weeks from the day of the marathon.

I am thinking about trading my CamelBack for a Water belt since I am worried about the amount of Water I can have comfortably.

I think it is awesome you are running in the snow. Your much braver than I am. I need to change my run time from evening to morning. This is all new to me. This is my second 1/2 marathon' date=' my first was for sure a learning experience. How long have you been running for and what go you started? What do you do to keep yourself motivated?[/quote']

Yeah, 4 weeks is a bit longer, now that I think about it, I think my appt was like a week or two before the marathon.

I carry a 3liter camelbak and a 20 lbs pack for hikes and snow shoes but a belt with 2-4 little bottles when I run. I tend to run "dry", hydrating to my thirst but not as much as I do on long hikes. I also usually have some coconut water after my run.

I never was a runner, in high school I.always had to walk the lap every one else ran. I started almost 2 years ago with good old couch to 5k and after many tears I worked my way to a half marathon, using Jeff Galloways training program.

I'm slow, I have to take walk breaks with distance runs, but I'm doing it!

Yesterday I decided to try for 13.1 again ( last time was in October ). Just to see.... and it was ok. The first six were great, next three - four started getting hard, and last three.... well they felt like that lap in high school. And I realized that's totally amazing... that my last 3 miles out of 13 reminded me of trying to run 5 minutes in high school. I am constantly amazed at how far I've come :)

I still have 40-50 lbs to go, and.I can't imagine how much better when I'm living the skinny life, like out friend B-52 here!!! :)

I have to say that kind of progress being able to stop and see it keeps.me motivated when I feel discouraged or frustrated. I also have an amazing husband who started this running before me... he did C25K and eventually started to train for a full. He's not weight challenged, but he was running challenged. He's happy to trot alongside me, at my pace (1/2 as fast as him, actually!) And I think his enthusiasm , encouragement and support has helped a lot!

(Sorry about the double post, dumb phone app!!)

Wow, that is amazing and you should be proud of the things you have accomplished. I thought I was going to cry when I finished my first 1/2.

I am in my fifth week so I am slowly getting back into exercise. I really missed yoga. It helps with my back. I just hope to keep going strong and to finish the 1/2 in 3 hours 30 minutes. Just as long as I'm not last.

Oh almost forgot.B-52 you are a rockstar! :-)

Keep it up, you are such an inspiration.

Wow' date=' that is amazing and you should be proud of the things you have accomplished. I thought I was going to cry when I finished my first 1/2.

I am in my fifth week so I am slowly getting back into exercise. I really missed yoga. It helps with my back. I just hope to keep going strong and to finish the 1/2 in 3 hours 30 minutes. Just as long as I'm not last.[/quote']

Nice work!!! Getting back into the swing of things is tough, but you sound motivated and that's the key!!!

I did cry on my last mile of my 1/2. Not tears of sadness or frustration, but instead of joy and amazement of where I was and what I was doing!

Yay!! US!!! Keep up the good work!

Before my Surgery I had never ran more than 100 Yards without someone yelling at Me. I haven't experienced what You mentioned, but it may have been your version of a "Stitch" in Your Side. One thing about running that I have noticed. I run late at night and if I don't allow my entire dinner to move well past my band, I regret it. Especially Tacos. Ouch. I am starting the training for my 3rd Half Marathon. Being able to do it makes the surgery worth it in every way.

Before my Surgery I had never ran more than 100 Yards without someone yelling at Me. I haven't experienced what You mentioned, but it may have been your version of a "Stitch" in Your Side. One thing about running that I have noticed. I run late at night and if I don't allow my entire dinner to move well past my band, I regret it. Especially Tacos. Ouch. I am starting the training for my 3rd Half Marathon. Being able to do it makes the surgery worth it in every way.

This is nothing like a stitch, I've had those. It probably doesn't help that I am an experienced nurse, so I am aware of way too much and all the things that can go wrong with WLS patients (I've cared for many). So of course, when something hurts - significantly, I get a little concerned!