Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still Here!

Hi

Just thought I would let everyone know that I am still around - I have been very quiet lately.

The past 2.5 months have been huge and as a result I haven't had a lot of time to checks the forums although I have popped in occasionally.

My son turned 18 at the end of Oct so my parents ( who live in South Africa) came to visit. As it is a long way to travel and expensive they stayed until 2 Jan so that they could also Celebrate my 50th and Christmas and New Year with us. My sister and her 3 children (who also live in SA) came for 2 weeks to celebrate my Birthday. My house is a reasonable size but it was full to bursting with 10 people instead of the usual 4!

I wanted everyone to have a fabulous time and see lots of new places and make lots of memories so the majority of the 2 months was spent out and about. We visited nature reserves, lakes, historic towns and villages, the beach, kid friendly activities, coffee shops, restaurants etc etc. We even went on a short trip to Darwin which is at the other end of Australia.

My party was great. The theme was a night at the musicals and I dressed as a saloon girl in a hot pink sequinned dress. I have posted pics in my gallery.

The downside is that I now have extra weight to shift. Although my scales tell me that I haven't really gained since my last Dr's visit in Oct my clothes tell me otherwise. Anything with a waist is too tight and so are my bra's! My lowest weight was between 50 -51 kg and I am currently sitting at approx 54.5kg.(It took me approx 6 months to lose most of my weight and I then lost a little more over the next 6 months and then easily maintained that until early this year).

Now that everything is back to normal I have no more excuses. Step 1 is to cut out alcohol as I have drunk more than my fair share of calories over the holiday, step 2 is to stop eating chocolate, biscuits and cake and step 3 is to try to eat fresh , healthy unprocessed foods. If that doesn't help I may try a few days on shakes whilst contemplating my next step. Oh and of course I also need to move more.

The scary thing for me is how easy it is at this point to eat the things I shouldn't be. I know that the band doesn't stop you eating things you shouldn't and that a lot of the control is in your head but for the first 3 years I didn't have the desire to eat the way I have been. I have been through a number of Christmases, overseas holidays etc and not gained weight. Yes I would have the occasional treat but most of the time the desire wasn't there and I found it easy to say no. Well now the honeymoon is well and truly over. The last year has been so much harder and I am beginning to understand why people say that the band only works for "X" years and then you regain. Of course when I was initially banded I refused to believe this and many of you probably will too. I have discussed this with my Dr who says that it does not stop working but generally you lose what you are going to lose within the first 18 months and then the loss stops, there are of course exceptions.

I don't know if my age and being menopausal have anything to do with it but I am not going to let that be an excuse. I have way too many clothes that I need to be able to get back into. I refuse to go out and buy bigger sizes. I do know that it is going to be far harder to lose now than previously but I am determined that i won't be beaten.

I was wondering where you had been. Glad it was b/c of celebrating and not something tragic.

Welcome back, we missed you. Happy Belated 50th Birthday too! Did you know 50 is the new 40? Menopause sucks, I went through 5yrs of it and then it was gone for a year and just recently the hot flashes started again.

I have no doubt that you will get back into your clothes. When I was just hanging here waiting to be banded, you gave excellent advice and I thank you for that.

Been banded 3mths now and yes, believing the band will always be working.lol

I know you will get back down and yes what your doctor is what is published in most journels. Most people lose the majority of their weight within the first 18 months and most never reach their ideal body weight. But i am one who believes in betting on the long shot and believe if you can change your behavior enough you can have long term success. Now I am ony a little over 2 years post op and have only been at or below goal since Sept of last year. So check back with me this time next year and we will see if I am still singing the same tune. I am also glad the holidays are over, I did not have a gain but I too had too many alcohol drinks and sweets and all it did was make my body crave that sort of food I had spent 2 years avoiding. Old habits sure do die hard. Good luck to you and we all know you can do this and shed those few pounds.

So nice to hear from You and all the fun things you have been up too. No doubt in my mind you will shed the few pounds you put on.... You have motive and determination!! Best of luck to you!