Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Intolerances Since Banding...

Hi Everyone,

just wondering if anyone else has noticed new intolerances to any foods since banding? I have an 11cc Inamed band which is filled to 6cc - I don't have a huge amount of restriction - and have spent the last year losing/gaining the same ten pounds - this is ok as I have had a few other issues going on and am actually pretty happy that I haven't gained a lot of weight during the past year...ANYWAY, even tho I don't have very much restriction I always seem to be having issues with food - I have had to cut way back on dairy foods as I was experiencing symptoms of lactose intorerance - eyes/nose streaming, diarrhoea, abdominal pain and bloating... I never had a problem before getting my band in - I had a coffee with whipped cream at the weekend and had to run to the bathroom (not pleasant!) :embarassed: - Even if I avoid dairy, I get a lot of stomach cramps and pain - constipation/diarrhoea - actually most of the symptoms of irritible bowel syndrome - again, something I did not experience before banding, which is weird because I ate all sorts of crap then - McDonalds, candy bars, chinese take-away, coffee, coke etc ALL DAY! I seem to spend most days trying to avoid coffee and dairy - we had a family party at the weekend and I drank wine, coffee (with the whipped cream!) ate Tiramisu etc and woke up Monday morning with a painful tender stomach - it felt like it was burning almost.... the pain is always in my lower stomach and I'm wondering if there is too much acid produced in our stomachs when we eat, and it has a delay before there is any food for it to break down? I haven't gone to a doc about any of this and have booked a second fill (ever!) for later this month to get me going again....I'd like to hear anyone else's comments on this before I get a tighter fill....

thanks a mil

Hi Bright,

Do you still have your gallbladder? Is the pain ever centered on the right side or right back? Many people with gallbladder problems are intolerant to fats and dairy. An abdominal sonogram might give you some answers.

Hi Bright, Missed you!

Even if I avoid dairy, I get a lot of stomach cramps and pain - constipation/diarrhoea - actually most of the symptoms of irritible bowel syndrome
I had colitus long before banding which have alot of the same symtoms, but have had my colon removed. I do have a reseviour, reconstrurted colon not the bag that's common with colon removals.

I offen feel the differences in foods, dairy and even orange juice.

I don't have the common digestion like most, but have noticed a big difference post banding.

reasearch also shows if you work out, food go's through you faster.

I'm not much help, I guess i'm comparing.

Hope you feel better soon.

Wow! Bright! It's so good to see you!! :wave:

This is odd, because I had a tummy ache today, and of course the paranoia of an eroded band starts to brew...but it felt like my bowels were just upset and I just needed to empty them! Well, over the course of the evening, that has happened. I'm very gassy, and have had 4? bowel movements in the last 8 hours (I know...TMI) but I'm feeling better! I never had bowel probs pre-band, but now they seem to hit on occasion. I drank some Aloe Vera juice and chewed a Tums, ate very little dinner and I seem to be on the mend...well, the tummy ache is gone. I'm thinking I just have lots of acid and need to start back on Prilosec for a few days. I haven't been able to relate it to any particular food group, like dairy. I also notice it feels like my lower stomach just needs some food in it? My stomach growls like mad.

I dunno, but your post sounds similar and just wanted to say...yes...I think our stomachs may produce more gas/acid at times and that causes some bowel "issues". I wouldn't worry about getting a small fill, though.

How's the family and school? I'd love to hear an update with all the scoop. LBT is so busy! But I miss you being here! ((hugs))

Bright I must say I too have problems with coffee that has whipped cream or anything with whipped cream for that matter... but if I order coffee with out the whipped cream I can drink it just fine .Its almost as if it sits in the pouch and comes back up after its sour like baby spit up...although I have no problems with milk, yogurt or cheese...so I'm puzzld as to why the whipped cream is such a pain. Cottage cheese gives me prblens but I think that is more because of the consistency of them....kinda like scrammed eggs big no no for me!!! Its good to se you posting I've missed seeing you here!!

thanks guys - I am thinking about going to a dietition/nutritionist about all this - it's starting to affect my day to day life - what with the flatulence and running to the loo (More TMI for you The Best Me!) - it does seem that the band messes a little with the digestive system. I have been almost stationary :embarassed: for the last six/seven months Vera, so p'raps I need to haul my ass away from the TV

Thanks for missing me by the way - I forget how warm and friendly this place is! I still have my college place to do psychology and will start in september (yikes) I feel much less depressed and anxious, and even held a family party at the weekend - I hadn't seen my sisters in SEVEN :omg: months, and it all went ok - I didn't freak out and hide in the wardrobe or anything! Now weigh 242 which is a lot more than my sig below indicates, but that was a low moment anyway! My lower stomach is KILLING me today, really burning and painful - am going to stay away from dairy and fats for a few days (read this on the internet) - maybe I have a bout of gastritis? But ultimately my digestive system is a lot more sensitive that pre-banding - am begining to think that the Big Mac sauce and 7 cans of diet coke a day was doing me some good back then!!! :rolleyes