Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here and need some advice!!

Hi,

I had my band fitted on Friday last week (28th) and I'm worrying about it!

I went on to the solid (but puréed) diet yesterday (as per instructions) and I'm eating until I feel full, but it just seems to be too much?? I'm eating about every 2-3 hrs, and about 200g each meal??? Is this right??? The surgeon said about 100g or until I feel full but that is just not enough for me, I'm hungry within about half an hour after if I do that.

I'm so worried that I'm going to (or already have) messed everything up.

Please give me some advice!!!

Thanks

Kelly

I was not able to eat that much so soon and had been advised not to eat until full. Did your doc give you printed instructions for this stage? Are you on mushy food stage?

Stick to the portion sizes your doctor instructed, even if that means you're still hungry. Right now your body needs time to heal and it's imperative you follow your surgeon's guidelines so it can heal properly.

Also keep in mind that with the band, if you're eating until you're full, you're eating too much. With the band we should be eating until we're satiated, or no longer physically hungry, not full. Here's a great link to better explain it: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Best wishes.

Read your own instructions and follow but here were mine. Thicker liquid (week 2) foods were Protein Shakes, low sodium cream of chicken, cream of mushroom Soups, light yogurt, Tomato soups, plus foods from week 1 such as broth. SF Jello, koolaid, crystal light, juices diluted and SF, 2 quarts of Water daily.

Hi. Don't hesitate to make a call to ypur doc. Everyone on here means well, but unless their profile name has MD next to it, I'd be leery. Remember it's your health. Good luck.

Yes, I'm now on mushy food stage, and the booklet I was given has a pre-approved food list to choose from which I have been doing. I haven't actually had 200g of food, looking back at my food diary it's been more like 110-120g. I'm just so worried that I'm messing everything up. I've decided that from now on I'm going to stick to the 100g / 150ml if it kills me! I didn't pay all this money and go through all this pain for nothing!!!

Could I have already damaged the band??

"Could I have damaged my band"??

Not hardly. You already made a Detour into bandster hell. This is the phase where you're back on a diet, but it's a diet from hell. Most all of us experienced what you're going through although I think most of us were allowed to eat 1/2-1 cup of food at a time. Enjoy the ride but the first 45 days will be very bumpy and uncomfortable.

tmf

You may be fine but I'd clarify my information asap to make sure you are doing everything correctly.

Thank you!!! Thanks everyone for all your help!!

I'm sure I'd know if something major had gone wrong!!?? :)

Yes you would know. The term is " slip" but a stitched-in band actually rips out of place and can cause a lot of pain and internal bleeding.

Your mind set seems right though. What helped me during this terrible phase was to eat half of my mini meal at a time...I would eat half, go to the bathroom, log my food in to my fitness pal and then return to eat the rest later. This way I was always eating a little bit.