Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband-allergan

I'm a bit confused after visiting my WLS office today he advised me that I have 7cc in my band. He advised me at my previous appointment that there was nothing in my band when it was installed and he added 3cc at my last appointment. Today he tells me I have a total of 7cc in my band 4cc was in the band when it was placed and the 3cc at my last appointment. Today 1cc was added now I have 8cc. He says all Allergen bands comes pre-filled with 4cc. Has anyone else heard of this? This is my first time hearing of this.

Thanks

Jbright

Missy is right but it's all a moot point. How much is in your band is irrelevent as some bandsters need no fills and some need 14 CC. It may be interesting to know how much is in there but it's not of any importance.

tmf

I have an Allergan band and at my first fill she pulled out 1cc that was left there from surgery. She told me that once they fit the band, they fill it to make sure everything is working and looks good and then unfills it, usually there is 1-3cc's left from surgery. I have never heard of it being prefilled. Did your dr pull all the Fluid out of your band to measure it before adding the 1cc???

Haven't heard that one eighter.

I have a lapband brand band and its 10ccs. My dr said there is no fill in it until he puts it there post op through the port.

Just like breast implants... those come unfilled to which I didnt know.... The Dr actually has to insert the silicone or saline...

At my last appointment, he pulled out the 3 he placed in during that appointment. I'm completely confused because if he input 3cc at the last appointment and pulled out the 3cc to show me that was in the band. Today I didn't witness him pulling anything out. However, after he input the 1cc, I asked him if he checked my total fill amount and he said yes! I personally think he is being lazy and I also think I only have a total of 4cc (3cc from last appointment 1cc today) in my band. I'm a little upset because I take my band seriously and don't feel like my WLS and I are on the same page.

I asked at my 2nd appt if she was going to pull everything out and measure and my clinic (they are all different) she said they don't like to pull all the fill out and measure unless they feel they need to, they trust what they have recorded is in the band, unless there are other problems and they need to verify. She also said it isn't great for the band to keep emptying and filling - who knows. I think your dr was confused today, if he put in 3 and pulled out 3 at your last appt, then you should only have 3, plus the 1 he put in today. In all reality it is nice to know how much you have in there, but it really doesn't make a difference in your restriction. It is all about how you feel, no 2 people are alike. good luck.

I asked at my 2nd appt if she was going to pull everything out and measure and my clinic (they are all different) she said they don't like to pull all the fill out and measure unless they feel they need to' date=' they trust what they have recorded is in the band, unless there are other problems and they need to verify. She also said it isn't great for the band to keep emptying and filling - who knows. I think your dr was confused today, if he put in 3 and pulled out 3 at your last appt, then you should only have 3, plus the 1 he put in today. In all reality it is nice to know how much you have in there, but it really doesn't make a difference in your restriction. It is all about how you feel, no 2 people are alike. good luck.[/quote']

You are right! Thanks wildrose1966

I asked my doctor how much was in mine about 8 months ago. He said he didn't have any idea and doesn't keep track! That works for me.

tmf

I've never heard of any band coming pre-filled right out of the package.

I'd be irritated with your surgeon too. I have to wonder if he or someone else messed up your fill records somewhere along the way. For example: a local acquaintance (banded in 2007) thought she had a 4 cc band and was puzzled because seemingly aggressive fills made no difference to her restriction. Then suddenly some OR notes showed up in her file and the NP who did the fills admitted that she actually had a 10 cc band. I've also heard of fills that didn't get recorded in the patient file at all, fills whose amount was illegible in the handwritten file, fills that missed the port altogether...

It's hard to trust medical professionals when something like that happens. Apparently surgeons are human, just like the rest of us, whether they care to admit it or not.

I asked my doctor how much was in mine about 8 months ago. He said he didn't have any idea and doesn't keep track! That works for me.

tmf

I'm not at my sweet spot as of yet so I would like to know how many cc's it took to reach the spot once I arrive there.

I've never heard of any band coming pre-filled right out of the package.

I'd be irritated with your surgeon too. I have to wonder if he or someone else messed up your fill records somewhere along the way. For example: a local acquaintance (banded in 2007) thought she had a 4 cc band and was puzzled because seemingly aggressive fills made no difference to her restriction. Then suddenly some OR notes showed up in her file and the NP who did the fills admitted that she actually had a 10 cc band. I've also heard of fills that didn't get recorded in the patient file at all' date=' fills whose amount was illegible in the handwritten file, fills that missed the port altogether...

It's hard to trust medical professionals when something like that happens. Apparently surgeons are human, just like the rest of us, whether they care to admit it or not.[/quote']

Jean- In my opinion something didn't sit right with me at this appointment. Maybe he was having a bad day. I'm not certain what the issue was today but I know for a fact what was told to me at my last appointment(3cc in my band) nevertheless I will give him benefit of the doubt this time. After my next appointment if the same type of confusion exist, I will seek a new WLS to complete my checkups and administer my fills going forward.

Jean- In my opinion something didn't sit right with me at this appointment. Maybe he was having a bad day. I'm not certain what the issue was today but I know for a fact what was told to me at my last appointment(3cc in my band) nevertheless I will give him benefit of the doubt this time. After my next appointment if the same type of confusion exist, I will seek a new WLS to complete my checkups and administer my fills going forward.

Good for you, take control of the situation. This is too big of a life change to not be comfortable.

Allergan bands DO NOT come pre-filled from the factory. They are individually sealed in a rubber bag with the fittings, tubes and port and are all marked 10cc OR 14cc according to my sister who works at Allergan in Goleta, Ca. Now some docotrs will pre-fill and un-fill to see if the band works prior to install inside your stomach area. Sometimes, some doctors will not wait long enough for the band bag to completely unfill dropping back down the long tube to the port. So some bands may have saline Fluid (1cc or less) or ther dottor may elect to pre-fill and then do the procedure. My doctor during Aug 6 band day told me in my first post-op followup he pre-filled 1.5cc. I didn't know this after surgery until 10 days had passed.

Best wishes