Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Days Post-op...help!

Hello Friends!

I am 6 days post-op and am not having any tremendous pain, but I am very exhausted. I am far from functioning at a quarter of my normal routine (had to call in sick to work.) I am a very active person and usually go to the gym 4x a week (elliptical for 50 minutes). Need to go back to work, but get exhausted standing after thirty minutes. I know everyone heals at different rates, but this is more of an energy issue. I force myself out of bed and out for walks and house chores. I'd rather sleep.

After the surgery, I was extremely dizzy from the anethesia and could not open my eyes without the whole room tumbling down on me.

I called the Dr. office and they moved up my eating plan to start on yogurt and Protein Shakes. Don't know if that will do the job.

Is this normal?? Are my expectations too high? Any ideas for some pep?

Thank you!!!

:notagree :notagree :notagree :notagree :notagree :notagree :notagree :notagree :notagree :notagree :notagree :notagree :notagree :notagree

The change in your diet should do the trick. I am surprised that you were not started on Protein Shakes one day post-op as most surgeons want a minimum of 60 grams of Protein a day for optimal healing. Also, make sure you're getting in enough fluids. After a day or two on the advanced diet I think you'll feel soooooooooooo much better.

Thank you, Elisabeth.

I hope so!

My doctor advises a clear liquid diet for the first week.

So you think it is a diet issue?

Hi There, I am actually 5 days post op and went to work today. I was banded 3/6/2006 and had pain for the first 2 days, nothing major but I have never had surgery and am a baby (lol). I do get tired more quickly but then I sit and take a rest. I am rather active as well, on a bowling league and am team mom/coach for daughters softball. I did have a low MBI, 30 do not know if that makes a difference. I am on liquids only, no shakes....I am sure you will be fine in a few days!

Hi Boo!

I'm just a couple of days ahead of you and today was my first day back to work as well. My Dr. let me start full liquids 48 hours after surgery and then yesterday I was moved to mushies.

I did alright this morning, but was a bit tired with my afternoon classes, so we took it a whole lot slower. The full liquids should help with the tiredness, at least it did with mine. Getting in my Protein helped as well.

I also had mini excursions just about everyday after surgery to build up my stamina. I was tired after each one, but I stayed out a little longer each day to see how I did.

Hang in there, it gets easier.

Audra

i dont think i actually really felt like doing anything requiring energy for about 10 days. i started my soft Proteins on the 4th day from surgery. i am about 3 weeks post op and pretty much feel normal. hang in there, it will get better!!!

boo

hows the Water intake? i am 10 days out and i was really feeling bad at the 6-7 day mark. in fact i was thinking why am i getting worse with the energy and nausea. then my hubby noticed how dry my lips were and busted my rear about it. well needless to say i got my water in that day and felt like a new person by that eve.

Thanks everybody! I'm doing better. Jen, I think I was dehydrated, even though I was drinking alot. The added Protein Shakes and yogurt made an amazing difference.

Glad you are feeling better now Boo. Thought I would let you (or anyone else it might help) know that if the shakes are still off limits, and you need Clear Liquids, I had one recommended to me. I bought it today...have yet to try it. It is zero carb Isopure. This is in a 20 oz. bottle and comes in several flavors, and has 40 g. of Protein per bottle. I was told about it on another thread. She did say it helped if you added a packet of sweetner to it, because it was very tart. But if dehydration is an issue, and getting your protein is as well, you may want to try it, it would help with both. I am pre-op dieting with the high protein, and am going to give it a try this evening. I bought mine at GNC. Good Luck, can't wait to join you in Band-ster land!!

kat