Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Other Options other than Shakes

I need HELP!!! I'm just starting my 3 week pre-op diet. I'm supposed to drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast & lunch, a sensible dinner & snack (I have a list of foods on that). My BIG problem is I cannot get down the shakes. I actually gag!! I've tried the big canister from Walmart, I've tried the one thru my physician, & I've tried Isopure. HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! I asked my dietician if I could substitute high Protein food and/or snack in place of shakes and she said no. I routinely do NOT eat breakfast or lunch. I drink C2 ALL day long and then eat way too much for dinner. I'm doing ok on the C2 by drinking alot of Water or drinking iced tea. My dinners & Snacks are going fine with ALOT less food than I'm used to. Its those damn shakes!!!! Any suggestions of alternate foods? I CANNOT drink the shakes!!!!!

Help me plz!!!!!! :help: :) :help:

Tina

It took me a long time to find a shake I could tolerate and the one that finally worked were the ready to drink (RTD) medifast shakes. They are 8 oz. each, 90 cals, and come in chocolate and vanilla. Delivery is next day or 2 day. Thankfully, they do allow you to buy individual shakes so you can do a taste test and determine if you want to purchase more.

The reason the dieticians don't let you substitute something else for the shakes has to do with Vitamin and mineral counts. I'm sure others will have suggestions for you as well.

If you are on solids for dinner, why are you drinking shakes for breakfast and lunch?? The band doesn't work on liquids...

ANYWAY... the shakes I like best are the Atkins premade ones. I like the chocolate one best. Premade shakes to me are alot better than anything I've found in a powder. People also like the unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury in crystal lite, but I haven't tried it. I've added it to carnation instant breakfast, without any bad taste added though.

Tricia - I have'nt tried any cereal bars, but that does sound good! I'll try that! :)

Elizabeth - Do you buy Medifast online? Does it have an aftertaste? :)

Tammy - I did go to the GNC today and bought Isopure in the fruit flavors. I'm gonna try it tomorrow. The girl @ the store said it is NOT thick, so maybe I can get it down!! Keep you fingers crossed for me! :)

Sarah - I'm still in the PRE-op phase. My surgery is scheduled for May 1st. The Crystal Lite you're talking about, is it the 5 calorie stuff you add to a bottle of Water or does it have Protein in it? The 5 calorie Crystal Lite is actually good, but I need the "protein"! YUK!! :nervous

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!!!! :clap2: This has been really tough for me!!!

Tina

unjury is pretty good but you have to order it. They do sale samples if you just want to try them.

The South Beach bars are delicious. If you like girlscout mint chocolate chip cookes, try zone perfect chocolate mint bars. I bought a box and they are great. They taste like chocolate min rice crispy bars. Go to target or Walmart or CVS and just buy diffrent bars on sale and just try them.

We have a support group where everybody brought diffrent kinds of bars and shakes and we had a tasting party. We found out we really liked some and hated others. LOL Everyones taste is diffrent.

Tricia - I have'nt tried any cereal bars, but that does sound good! I'll try that! :D

Elizabeth - Do you buy Medifast online? Does it have an aftertaste? :D

Tammy - I did go to the GNC today and bought Isopure in the fruit flavors. I'm gonna try it tomorrow. The girl @ the store said it is NOT thick, so maybe I can get it down!! Keep you fingers crossed for me! :D

Sarah - I'm still in the PRE-op phase. My surgery is scheduled for May 1st. The Crystal Lite you're talking about, is it the 5 calorie stuff you add to a bottle of Water or does it have Protein in it? The 5 calorie Crystal Lite is actually good, but I need the "protein"! YUK!! :nervous

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!!!! :clap2: This has been really tough for me!!!

Tina

Yes, you buy Medifast online. I keep it in the fridge and shake it up and drink it over ice with no after taste. You can also add skim milk to tone down the flavor.

IME most of the shakes out there can be good depending on how you make them. Isopure made me gag when I was just mixing it with Water (Double Ducth flavor Ispoure). Now I blend it with non-fat milk and a dollup of Peanut Butter... actually quite good.

There's a brand you can get somewhere called "Six Star". The vanilla of that brand, blended with some ice and sugar free Kahlua Syrup is a reasonably copy of a virgin mudslide. Or you can add some strawberries, a bit of Splenda, and make a Julius. Or blend with light OJ and it tastes like an orange creamsicle.

When I'm in a hurry I use "EAS Advant Edge Carb Control" shakes in the strawberry flavor. Not as good as a homemade one, but definitely tolerable, esp. when cold.

What is C2?

You really should eat Breakfast, at least. It will get your metabolism going for the whole day.

You want alternate foods to shakes, but your surgeon has told you that you have to drink shakes? Is there a nutritionist or dietician involved in your pre-ops that you could talk to for ideas?