Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To fill or not to fill??

Let me start by saying I'm almost 6 months post surgery and I'm down 50 lbs total. I'm really happy with the amount of weight I've lost, but I seem to be at a stand still. It's been that way for about a month now. I haven't lost anything. The last fill I had was in early November and I struggled just a bit with that. About 2 weeks after getting it I threw up from eating something I shouldn't have (Doritos..I know!) and then the next day I threw up again. I called my doctors office to get an unfill, but they suggested I go on liquids for a couple of days because I probably just irritated the band. I did so and have not thrown up since. Thank goodness! When I eat for the most part everything is normal, but occasionally I have to stop eating and literally wait for the food to pass. It's not like I'm stuck...it just feels like if I take another bite I will be. I can eat pretty much whatever I want. I struggle with taking smaller bites and chewing fully, but besides that I eat pretty good. A little too good! With all the holiday gatherings and such, i know i've been able to eat way more than i should be able to. This is where I get confused.... I'm not losing any weight, but I'm not sure if another fill would be the right answer. I don't want to be too tight and get stuck over every little thing, but I feel like I'm not in the green zone at all. Should I bite the bullet and have one more fill....or just wait a bit longer and see what happens? Make better choices and exercise more? I have honestly been eating way too much and I know I have, but I can't seem to control it at all. Is it just me? Or..do i get a fill and learn to control my bite sizes and chewing a lot better than I have been? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

What size is your band? And there's no history saying you even had a fill so far, only what you told us.How many cc have been put in the band? If you don't know, please ask your doctor. They will give this info to you. It's good information to have.

Best wishes

You're kindof in no man's land right now. It does sound like you could use a small fill. Some bandsters don't want to change their eating habits. You know, eating slow, small and chewing big? And sometimes we believe we're already doing this, but maybe not?

You should look for those satiated signs that you don't need to eat any longer? It's not how full we get, or how restricted we are. Look for being satiated for up to 3-5 hours between meals. If you're not there, maybe a small fill and a re-evaluation of how you're eating is in order?

And plateaus are quite common. Even month long plateaus. Especially this time of year.

tmf

If you are eating more then you should is it because you just want to? You can't just eat as much as you want and still lose weight. If a cup or less of food keeps you satisfied for 3 to 4 hours then you don't need a fill. If you are waiting for things to pass through your band to continue to eat, you are over eating. I would suggest to measure exactly a cup of food and only eat that and no more. You need to see if you really need a fill or if you are pushing your band. Over eating will make your pouch stretch because you are putting too much food in it. It is only supposed to hold 2 to 4 ounces of food. When I eat and need to let things pass through my band then I am full and quit eating. I think you are eating too much and yes plateus happen to all of us sometimes up to three months or more.

I don't think you need a fill. It sounds like you may actually be a little tight. The band will never stop you from eating unhealthy foods: crackers, candy, etc.

I would ask yourself as you eat "am I hungry enough to keep eating". If not stop eating.

give it a couple of weeks b4 a fill get all the goodies out of the house and that doesn't mean you eat them. Track every bit and exercise on track and see how it goes only then will you know if its you or the band needs a little more.

What size is your band? And there's no history saying you even had a fill so far, only what you told us.How many cc have been put in the band? If you don't know, please ask your doctor. They will give this info to you. It's good information to have.

Best wishes

Hi Rojasanoll! Thanks for replying. I have a 14 cc band with a total of 7 cc's in it. I couldn't find a place to update the fills, so I added them to my signature under my ticker. I keep track of it all. lol.

You're kindof in no man's land right now. It does sound like you could use a small fill. Some bandsters don't want to change their eating habits. You know, eating slow, small and chewing big? And sometimes we believe we're already doing this, but maybe not?

You should look for those satiated signs that you don't need to eat any longer? It's not how full we get, or how restricted we are. Look for being satiated for up to 3-5 hours between meals. If you're not there, maybe a small fill and a re-evaluation of how you're eating is in order?

And plateaus are quite common. Even month long plateaus. Especially this time of year.

tmf

I think your right on with the changing the eating habits. I struggle with that alot. I find myself trying to hold onto old habits even when I know I need to change them. I think that's half of why I am worried about getting another fill. It will definitely force me to continue to make the changes that I need to. I have never been one to like any kind of change...lol. I want to change....it just scares me to at the same time. Weird...huh?!

I will definitely be paying closer attention to how I feel inbetween meals and evaluating how I eat also. Thanks for responding! :)

If you are eating more then you should is it because you just want to? You can't just eat as much as you want and still lose weight. If a cup or less of food keeps you satisfied for 3 to 4 hours then you don't need a fill. If you are waiting for things to pass through your band to continue to eat, you are over eating. I would suggest to measure exactly a cup of food and only eat that and no more. You need to see if you really need a fill or if you are pushing your band. Over eating will make your pouch stretch because you are putting too much food in it. It is only supposed to hold 2 to 4 ounces of food. When I eat and need to let things pass through my band then I am full and quit eating. I think you are eating too much and yes plateus happen to all of us sometimes up to three months or more.

I think I'm eating more for many reasons, but all of which seems to sound like excuses. I do log my food intake on Myfitnesspal, but have been going over my calories more and more. Is it because of the holidays, the stress that comes with it, the feeling of it getting old???? i just can't decide...maybe a little of everything. I want this to work, but find myself wondering why I can't stay motivated in doing it. :/

As far as the waiting for things to pass and continuing to eat, it happens before I've had a cup of food. I believe I'm just eating too fast and taking too big of bites. I will watch the amount I eat though and continue to make better choices.

That being said I want to get back up and start this year out right!!! I am going back to the basics and doing all the things I know I need to do. I had this surgery for a reason and whatever is distracting me from reaching my goal is going to stop! This new year I am going to focus on me!!! Getting healthy and finishing this journey!!!

Thank you so much! :)

I don't think you need a fill. It sounds like you may actually be a little tight. The band will never stop you from eating unhealthy foods: crackers, candy, etc.

I would ask yourself as you eat "am I hungry enough to keep eating". If not stop eating.

May I ask what makes you think I'm a little too tight?

I am going to be asking myself alot before, during and after I eat from now on. I need to pay attention to my body better. Thanks!

Thank you Line-dancer! My next appointment is suppose to be January 12th, but I may just canel and give myself some time to listen to my body.

Thanks! :)

Thanks for the post Tricia. I have my fill appointment tomorrow and am feeling the same as you. I was banded July 23 and down 52 pounds but have been the same for three weeks. I'm going to just start listening to my body and forget the fill for now. I sure don't want a slip! We can do this!

Thanks for the post Tricia. I have my fill appointment tomorrow and am feeling the same as you. I was banded July 23 and down 52 pounds but have been the same for three weeks. I'm going to just start listening to my body and forget the fill for now. I sure don't want a slip! We can do this!

No...thank you for replying! It helps so much knowing that someone else is experiencing the same things. Lets do this! :)

Fill or no fill, is this visit part of your follow up visits or was it specifically a "fill" appt? If it was a regular followup, I would recommend going to discuss this with your medical team for their input. It does sound like tweaking your eating habits is what's in store but a frank discussion with your dr. and/or nut may help guide you as well. As Cheryl mentioned too, it may help you to try for a few meals of following the guidelines of 1 cup of food (starting w/ 3-4 ounces of solid protein) and see if you are really feeling hunger or if it is just head hunger that you need to reel in.

Best wishes to you. And people think we are taking the easy route w/ wls - ha! This isn't easy but sure is worthwhile!!

Fill or no fill' date=' is this visit part of your follow up visits or was it specifically a "fill" appt? If it was a regular followup, I would recommend going to discuss this with your medical team for their input. It does sound like tweaking your eating habits is what's in store but a frank discussion with your dr. and/or nut may help guide you as well. As Cheryl mentioned too, it may help you to try for a few meals of following the guidelines of 1 cup of food (starting w/ 3-4 ounces of solid protein) and see if you are really feeling hunger or if it is just head hunger that you need to reel in.

Best wishes to you. And people think we are taking the easy route w/ wls - ha! This isn't easy but sure is worthwhile!![/quote']

Thanks for responding. The appt is just a fill appt. I'm gonna hold off and regroup. Thanks for your advice. :)