Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why people and studies are so negative about lapband

I have finally decided to have my lapband done :D. But I'm often annoyed but the amount of people that failed to loose weight or had loads of complications coming forward and kinda saying to no1 to do it because it doesn't work or you going to have too many complications and it is not worth it. Or as well the studies done which mostly ain't very feasible saying that mostly there is no success with banded patients. Do you think the same? Is it not annoying?

i think more neg results are posted or wrote about than the successful ones..i truly believe that...there is good and bad with any wls and the outcomes vary on different things..i pretty much base the lap bands success in accordance to my own situation. and so far it is a success.

read some posts by B52 or AJtexas or Floridas or Alex Brecher or Jean Mcillian or Love the New Me and others...these results are who i rely on as these are lots of success stories

make your own success story.

I don't pay attention to Debby downers or non verified statistics, when deciding on WLS I researched the options available, interview doctors and made my decision based on my health, personality, habits and goals. For me the band was the most viable options. So far it hasn't proven otherwise.

The problem with the so-called "studies" everyone is saying prove the Lap Band doesn't work is the fact they don't differentiate between people who've had the band fail by no fault of their own (the minority) and those that failed the band because of their own mistakes (the majority).

By the way, the last study I read that did differentiate between band failure and patient failure only stated the band failure as 8%. The other 92% of the time, it's the patient who's screwed up and caused the failure.

As far as "no success", but that's just plain untrue. You can be as successful with the band as you are willing to work for it. The band is an amazing tool when you use it correctly and if you're committed to health- you will lose. I've lost 175 pounds in less than a year so I'm living proof it does work when you work it.

Best wishes to you.

Carolina and Susan I do agree with both of you, you both made very good points. Bad news travels fast isn't it? Bad stories sell more! Thank you for all the support. And thank you for the remark. I will make sure I make my own success story!

The problem with the so-called "studies" everyone is saying prove the Lap Band doesn't work is the fact they don't differentiate between people who've had the band fail by no fault of their own (the minority) and those that failed the band because of their own mistakes (the majority).

By the way' date=' the last study I read that did differentiate between band failure and patient failure only stated the band failure as 8%. The other 92% of the time, it's the patient who's screwed up and caused the failure.

As far as "no success", but that's just plain untrue. You can be as successful with the band as you are willing to work for it. The band is an amazing tool when you use it correctly and if you're committed to health- you will lose. I've lost 175 pounds in less than a year so I'm living proof it does work when you work it.

Best wishes to you.[/quote']

Well said mis :D

By the way' date=' the last study I read that did differentiate between band failure and patient failure only stated the band failure as 8%. The other 92% of the time, it's the patient who's screwed up and caused the failure.

Best wishes to you.[/quote']

And as well many congrats on your achievement!!! You deserve it

Carolina and Susan I do agree with both of you, you both made very good points. Bad news travels fast isn't it? Bad stories sell more! Thank you for all the support. And thank you for the remark. I will make sure I make my own success story!

the ones who divert from the lap band rules are the ones who complain the loudest about it not working....granted some bad things happen, but hey just think of the good...it saved my life...thats enough for me..

I will tell you why people are so negative about the lapband. Its because the doctor's themselves spew bitterness about LB

50% or more of a lapband surgeons practice is the followup care/fills/nutritional guidance/having a real relationship with patients. These appointments don't make the big bucks, its the surgeries that are the cash cows, so many surgeons will push patients to do gastric bypass or VSG because they do the surgery, make the cash and then never have to see the patient again.

Doctor's don't all INTENTIONALLY mean to mislead patients, but when they know where they're bread is buttered they will surely steer you towards it. BTW, insurance pays 2.5 times the amount for VSG/GB than they pay for LB (not sure why)

Not all surgeons are like this, but I have seen way to many surgeons on youtube spewing forth negative propaganda and falsities about the Lapband while glorifying all other WLS's

I hope i'm wrong but I don't think I am

I feel like my doctor must make money on the price of fills and the amount of self pay they have along with just the regular monthly apps.

I believe, like many other posts above, that there is good and bad in everything. I feel that we live in a society that tends to focus more in negatives than positive... And I'm only saying that because take a look at the news. There are more instances of bad news than good.. We don't hear about all of the successful airplane flights everyday, only when a plane crashes.

When it comes to the lapband, I feel that you get what you out into it. I'm not banded yet but I have learned from here and my doctors that it is extremely person dependent. Of course there are times when the lapband doesn't work with someone's body by default. It can erode the stomach lining, cause an infection, someone may be allergic, or it can leak. However, there are times when people say the band doesn't work and that's because of poor food choices and the failure to change one's lifestyle. If you're eating ice cream all of the time, of course it won't get stuck, but you also won't lose weight.

I think my point is to understand the pros and cons from all angels. Accept that you will have good and bad days, just like everyone else, and even weight losses and gains, but as long as you do your part and change your lifestyle, this tool will work for you!

I don't even look at stats, I follow the rules as much as possible so there are no complications. Understanding the band is not for everybody...however I know some who did not have success with bypass. So there are going to non-successes. I also think that support in after care is very crucial to success.

Also I'm happy with my results...10 pounds to goal, two years banded and have developed a lifestyle not just a diet.

Also I'm happy with my results...10 pounds to goal' date=' two years banded and have developed a lifestyle not just a diet.[/quote']

Amazing well done :)

Well I'm almost 2 yrs post op, I've had a few complications have never reached my goal and am now gaining weight again, I started at 305lbs. Got down to 235 and am now back at 270... When I got to 235 I basically puked every time I eat, I now puke at least 1-2 times a week, the only food that digest decently are food we are not suppose to eat, you will hear people refer to them as slider food. And that is why I'm gaining, but sometimes I just want to eat without puking, My dr has told me straight out most people come back for gastric bypass because they are not satisfied with the band. Had I known all this ahead of time I would not have done lap band

Good luck