Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for mentor / buddies near Tampa FL

Hi, my name is Suzanne and I had my surgery 12/28/2012. I am looking for a mentor and buddies who are near to the Tampa, Florida area. I live in Winter Haven, Florida. I am new to lap band and new to "forums" so I hope I am doing this correctly.

My doctor has me on Clear Liquids for a week. i was wondering if it is ok to put some crackers in a cup of broth and drink them down when the crackers become really soft? Also, is it normal to have some gas after drinking liquid or having some Jello? Does this go away?

Looking forward to making some new and lasting friendships. :rolleyes:

I'm from Englewood, south of you. I have a friend in Winter Haven, a cashier at Publix.

Crackers were not on my allowable list in liquid stage. They might get mushy in Soup and turn to Gummy flour balls in pouch. If it wasn't on your list, I wouldn't do it without asking surgeon.

Gas is very normal after banding, matter of fact, I don't think it ever really goes away.lol

You will find a lot of helpful advice, support and inspiration on this forum. A lot of great people.

BTW, congratulations for being on the banded side.

Best Wishes for success!

Post often and Happy New Year!

Hi

I am In Plant City and work in Tampa. Congrats on being banded! Nice to meet you.

Crackers aren't a liquid so I would say no they aren't acceptable. As for the gas... Gas the first several weeks is very normal... Remember your cavity was pumped up with air during surgery.... So it has to escape somehow...why it takes so long I haven't a clue,,,, but it does...I promise.

Thank you! Great to meet both of you.

I will stay away from the crackers. I had not thought about them turning into dough balls.

Thank you for the support. I am finding my way around the website better each time. I am so happy with my decision.

It's still early for me (3mths), but really pleased too, and one look at Floridays stats gives me a lot of hope.

Hi my name is Vanessa and I live in Tampa I'm getting my babd on the 17th I start my Water diet on Thursday I would love to have someone to confidont with.Im all so new to the forum .

Hi my name is Vanessa and I live in Tampa I'm getting my babd on the 17th I start my Water diet on Thursday I would love to have someone to confidont with.Im all so new to the forum .

Welcome to the forum Vanessa, It really doesn't matter where anyone lives, there is a lot of support, knowledge & inspiration here 24/7.

Jump in any time.

Hi Vanessa and Happy New Year! Everything will go well with the shakes. I was a little worried at first but I counted down to my surgery by the shake. My doctor uses the Chike brand of shakes. What kind of shakes are you going to use?

Happy New Year to u as well greatchef... I'm going Optifast and I pray that I can do this for 2 weeks im just a wee bit nervous my doctor is Dr Aguila at the Memorial hospital.

My doctor is Dr. Grossbard and I had my surgery at Tampa Memorial as well.

One of my co-workers used Opti Fast prior to her surgery and she told me she made her shakes really thick. I did the same with mine using about 1/2 cup to 1 cup ice.

You will be able to do it. Just think of the end result :)

Suzanne

Hi all! Im in Tampa, FL as well and am being banded next Friday, 1/11! Im a little nervous, but A LOT excited! My doctor is Rehnke and my surgery is being performed at Palms of Pasadena Hospital in St. Petersburg. Could anyone who has already been banded give me an idea of what to expect upon arrival at the hospital? And more importantly what to expecr upon waking up from surgery?

I am an excellent motivator and would LOVE to buddy up with someone who is the same.

Hi all! Im in Tampa, FL as well and am being banded next Friday, 1/11! Im a little nervous, but A LOT excited! My doctor is Rehnke and my surgery is being performed at Palms of Pasadena Hospital in St. Petersburg. Could anyone who has already been banded give me an idea of what to expect upon arrival at the hospital? And more importantly what to expecr upon waking up from surgery?

I am an excellent motivator and would LOVE to buddy up with someone who is the same.

At Sarasota Memorial they check you in , put you in your own room where you put on gown and climb in bed, nurse comes in and ask a lot of questions and hooks you up to IV. Before you go back for surgery Surgeon & anesthigiologist(?) comes in and talks with you and then I was given something to relax me. Roll you back to surgery suite and lots of ppl are getting you hooked up to EKG, B/P cuff and all that good stuff. Anesthigiologist will say nite, nite and next thing you know they're saying wake up in recovery. You will have some pain , but they were real good about keeping it under control.

I had to stay the night b/c my surgery was late in the afternoon , so after recovery went to my room.

Best thing you can do for yourself is get up and walk as much and as often as you can.

Good luck!

The second best thing for you all is to listen to Maddysgram. She is doing great!