Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been looking into the Lap Band for a very long time. I was in pre op in 2011 when they had to stop everything because my test came back PREGNANT! At the time the cost of the surgery was $7500. Well I've saved the money and now the price has gone up to $8500. I've contacted a few other places and they all tell me to go for the Sleeve. I don't feel comfortable with that and told them I don't want a part of my body removed. They responded with " The band also alters your body, and it causes scar tissue, and the failure rate is 47%." They also stated that they don't do the band anymore because they end up taking them out of their prior patients. I know the places I've been looking use the 4cc band which I heard are no longer used in the US. I really had my heart set on the band, I feel like im starting off failing. Do you think they are just doing a sales pitch? Should I stick with my first plan?

Thanks!

Hey there!

I also did a lot of research before I "took the plunge" so to speak. The first thing I can tell you is that you need to trust your instincts. If something doesn't feel right -- don't do it. We have those instincts for a reason. I'd also do research on the success rates of the lap band. 47% failure rate seems a little high, but I also know that we, as lap band patients, are the ones mostly in control of the success of the band. It's a tool, not a cure-all, but I think you know that already.

I went for the band over anything else because of the minimal invasiveness of the procedure, the ability to have it reversed if there were problems, the flexibility of the band size, and the fact that band patients don't struggle with mal-absorption issues like bypass patients do. I, like you, wasn't comfortable having anything bypassed or cut out. It doesn't also help that my father almost died due to a botched gastric bypass surgery. That was also over 20 years ago. Please know I'm not against the sleeve or the gastric bypass. I believe there are certain instances where those procedures are the best choice, but they just weren't for me.

Now, I'm only 11 days post-op, so I don't have a lot of experience with my band yet, but I can tell you it was definitely the right choice for me. I would recommend getting alternative opinions. You should never feel forced or coerced into a procedure -- especially a selective surgery such as this. As far as the band size, that's something else I would be concerned about. Starting out with just a 4 cc band is a little too restrictive in my opinion -- there are a lot of people with a 10cc band who never even have a fill because it's just right for them. Again -- something to do research on.

I don't know if anything I've written has helped, but really, just trust your instincts and do research. You'll eventually find the best procedure for you! Good luck! :)

I've been looking into the Lap Band for a very long time. I was in pre op in 2011 when they had to stop everything because my test came back PREGNANT! At the time the cost of the surgery was $7500. Well I've saved the money and now the price has gone up to $8500. I've contacted a few other places and they all tell me to go for the Sleeve. I don't feel comfortable with that and told them I don't want a part of my body removed. They responded with " The band also alters your body, and it causes scar tissue, and the failure rate is 47%." They also stated that they don't do the band anymore because they end up taking them out of their prior patients. I know the places I've been looking use the 4cc band which I heard are no longer used in the US. I really had my heart set on the band, I feel like im starting off failing. Do you think they are just doing a sales pitch? Should I stick with my first plan?

Thanks!

Since I am not a dr and don't know your Individual medial history I cannot say if it's a sales pitch or not. But what I will say is that I wouldnt do anything I am not comfortable with. There are drs out there who will give you what you want...and I wouldnt let anyone tell me differently.

As for the 47% failure rate.... I would like to know where that statistic came from. It's very high and personally i think inflated. If thats their rate of success I would find another dr because ether aren't providing the necessary aftercare to educate their patients on being successful or they are banding a whole bunch of people without giving them the facts up front.... in my opinion...

Good luck as you consider your options.

I have not regrets at all about getting the band... it the best "tool" I've ever bought.

I only wish I had done in sooner.

I has changed my life. I started with a 54" waist...now 32".

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

They may be telling you the band has a 47% failure rate, and that may be the case with their patients, however I'd be willing to bet the majority of those people caused it themselves. You will hear a lot of doctors who prefer the Sleeve or Gastric Bypass (because they make the surgeons a lot more money, by the way) talk about the high failure rate of the band. What they don't tell you is, the majority of failures are because the patient caused it themselves. Walking around with a band too tight for months, vomiting, drinking carbonation, and chronically over eating can all cause slips. There is a small percentage of people who's band fails by no fault of their own (the last study I read said 8%) but most "band failures" are because the patient failed, not the band.

As far as the band size, you definitely don't want a 4cc band. They don't use them in the United States anymore because of the high slip/complication rate. If you read these forums, you will see a high amount of people banded years ago with the 4cc band who are now having to revise to the Sleeve or Gastric Bypass because of major band issues that are no fault of their own. You can also read FDA reports against the 4cc band.

At the end of the day, you have to do what you feel most comfortable with for you. It's your body and you have to do what you think is best for it. Whether it's Lap Band, Gastric Bypass, or the Sleeve be sure to thoroughly do your homework first so that you can make a good informed decision.

Best wishes to you.

I have been researching for the last 3 years and each time i really question everything I come back to the band being the right choice for me. My surgeon and I discussed failure rates and they were around 13 - 17 percent over a 5 year period, and were based on factors of carbonation consumption, over eating and repeatedly stretching the pouch above the band. Before you take the plunge, please go speak to a few other surgeons.

I am new to the band (aug 2012 lost 42 lbs) but I have never heard of a 4 cc band right there that's odd. If you want a band keep looking around for the right place..you have to trust your doctor and the procedu or you wont succesful