Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being prepared after surgery

Hi everyone. My surgery is in 10 days and I'm getting very excited! I was wondering if you all could give some ideals on what could make the first week at home more comfortable. Maybe examples of liquids and comfortable things to help ease the pain from surgery. Thank you in advance!

Some ideas-----

A lovely water bottle for sipping all day.

A journal, or on-line diary to record/track your intake and your feelings.

Pre-op photos and measurements for later comparison.

Whatever foods your surgeon/ nutritionist recommend for post-op.Usually liquids, maybe puddings? Depends on your MD.

Gas-X strips and a heating pad for potential post-op gas issues.

Prescription for post-op pain medication. You can usually get this filled pre-op.

Comfy, soft clothes to make you feel happy!

Good luck!

Let's see, I'm getting banded tomorrow and here's what I have on hand so far: GasX, heating pad, No sugar added/light fruit juices, no sugar added fruit and juice bars, sugar free Jello, Crystal Light, Water, homemade beef broth, homemade chicken broth (making that now), Protein powders, soft pajamas and comfortable stretchy pants.

there you go all of the above and welcome to the banded world.

My post-op instructions say to start Protein shakes (1-2 per day) the day after surgery but do not add fruit to them. I wonder if that means I can switch from Light Soy Milk to skim milk in my drink? I'm not crazy about the milk substitutes. I've been using the unjury Protein Mixes. I don't care for canned broths or powders plus I figure if I make my own it will not only taste good and be good for me, but be lower in sodium and fat than the canned stuff or bouillon cubes.

My instructions for the first week are: At least 2 quarts of water/day. And I can also have cranberry juice, apple juice, white grape juice (diluted), No Sugar Added Diet Ocean Spray, Aqua Cal, coffee, Tea, Water, Crystal Light, sugar free Kool-Aid, sugar free Jello, Sugar Free Popsicles chicken, Beef, Vegetable broth, Propel Water plus the 1-2 Protein Shakes per day.

BTW, the other day I tried some V8 juice. I used to really like the stuff, but it tasted weird, like it had an aftertaste or something. It was also a lot less salty which is a good thing. Did they change their formula or is it me?

Hi everyone. My surgery is in 10 days and I'm getting very excited! I was wondering if you all could give some ideals on what could make the first week at home more comfortable. Maybe examples of liquids and comfortable things to help ease the pain from surgery. Thank you in advance!

Also I've heard to take chapstick

Thanks, you guys are great! I went out and bought some comfy stretch pants and slippy socks, and a baggy shirt for the hospital.(to wear in and out) I received nice Pj's for Christmas(I'm saving them for after the surgery) I'm going to make a list as far as GasX and such goes. I just want to have everything ready for my first few days at home.

To in style. My diet will b like yours I just wasn't sure about the Protein cause paperwork says clear liquid. I need an appointment with my nutritionist cause now it's getting closer n I seem to have more questions than I had before. sugar free anything seems to b fine but without the protein we would definitely feel the hunger.

My docotr said I could drink Protein shakes 24 hours after the surgery, but I didn't until the 4th day. I wanted some of the swelling and healing inside to take place. I relied mostly on the Soup broths, SF Jello, SF posicles, Crystal lights to keep me for the first week. Then I drank 2 shakes a day. Check with your doctor, each has different rules.

Best wishes

I really enjoyed the sugar free Popsicles! The coolness felt good going down. I know every doctor is different but I can take a picture of my nutrition list and send it to you if you want it.

Thanks Naturallyjai! I have a binder with that stuff in it. I forgot! (Duh) I guess I'm just getting excited and wondered if anyone had any other tips I haven't heard of yet :P