Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been seriously thinking about the lap-band surgery for about a month, however the procedure was brought to my attention about 4 years ago. Within those 4 years I've tried everything under the sun (besides medication) to help me lose weight. Weight watchers, medically supervised wellness program, reading diet books, talking with social workers and nothing has worked. I feel like this might be my last option to change my life around.

I know what I should and shouldn't be putting into my body, but for some reason the drive-thru is much more convenient! I am spending more money on food than I ever have in my life and it shouldn't be this way. How has everyone changed their mentality of eating for pleasure to eating for fuel? What process have you gone though in order to get there? I guess the only thing I'm afraid of, is going through with this procedure and finding out I can't "kick the habit". I hear how hard the first two weeks prior (all liquid) and two weeks after (all liquid) diets are hell! How do you get through it?

I started to give it a trial run yesterday and today, and I failed miserably! I did have a Protein Shake in the morning that kept me satisfied for about 4 and a half hours, and then the tummy wanted something (I actually had the feeling of being hungry), and I was out shopping with friends yesterday and we went to Potbelly's. I figured if I can start with two Protein Shakes a day, that would be a good start. Well that night, I was craving carbs and I was bored so I made a mini pizza.< /p>

I'm not alone in this am I?

Sunshine,

If you haven't done so yet, go talk with an expert (preferably someone who does this procedure). Have your questions ready and be able to ask more.

I had no intention of doing lapband when I joined my buddy during a consult he had. When I left I was convinced it was for me. You may find that or it may be that you decide it's not for you. That meeting was a life-changing event for me. As for you, just give it a chance.

I had my surgery in 2010. I was at the point where I thought is was my last option. I'm glad I did it. You do still have to do the work. But, when you weigh less than the lie that is on your drivers license or try on the too small clothes that are in the back of your closet, and they are too big. It's worth it. It took me 2 years to lose 80 lbs. but during that 2 years my husband was deployed, my mother passed away, my father-in-law passed away, I had gall bladder surgery, a stressful job, 4 kids and 3 grandchildren to take care of. I figure without the surgery I would have been up 80 lbs. I am now working on getting serious to get down 100 lbs by April.

As for the 2 weeks of the pre op diet. It wasn't that bad. Somehow I got it in my head that if I was going as far as to do surgery, I was going to do it right. I lost more than 20 lbs doing that. You can do what ever you set your mind to.

Sunshine, your story sounds somewhat like my own. I know plenty of people who have done gastric bypass & that was fine for them, I had NEVER considered Lapband for myself & my Dr. & I tried everything you can think of to help me on my "pre lap band journey". It was only through a program with a research facility & my insurance company that I even began to consider it. I got all the book I could find & educated myself about Lap Band. I knew for a fact after all that reading that Bypass was not anything I was considering. After reading up on it I had a change of heart. It sounded like just the TOOL i needed. After doing the ZONE DIET a while back I already had a good take on using food as fuel instead of for pleasure. I even operated in my GO ZONE (green zone) for a while & it was great! I just had trouble staying there. It would be easier on me if my taste buds didnt rule my brain so much (thats a struggle I'm working on). That is why this lap band and my determination will work well together. When i finally sat down to talk to my Dr. about the lap band, I expected him to fuss at me. We have a GREAT partnership concerning my health and were currently trying a different approach to weight loss. He said he thought it was a great idea, that I was educated well enough to make an informed decision & knew I had already read up on it before mentioning it to him. He gave me his blessing,support, and an open door for aftercare. That was my final confirmation & here I am 8 days later. No Regrets. Looking forward to my future. Currently lowering my BMI and adding days/months/years to my life. I can tell you no matter what happens, this was without a doubt the right decision for me.

Sunshine, you my dear will have to find your path as well. Talk with a professional, get educated about the procedure, what it is supposed to do, how it does it. What the surgery entails, what will be required of you before & after. Honestly access if you think this is what is right for you, if you can or want to commit to they lifestyle change it will require. Or even if you want to put it on the back burner & try other things. Each person is different, this may not be for you, just like gastric bypass & marrying my exhusband were not good choices for me. :)

At any rate, you have the entire forum to browse & a world of experts (i mean Dr.s etc) to consult with.

Well, I love sugar and carbs, that is where my weight gain came from. This is horrible, but I'm going to put it out there, but it was nothing for me to eat an entire cherry/chocolate/you name it pie by myself in a day. I was getting tired of buying bigger clothes and continuing on this downward spiral. I'm not even that old yet, but felt like I was 80. Years of in dabbling in raw foods, Optifast, weight watchers, so on and so on, I finally decided it's time to do this and I did. My insurance did not pay for it, so I did and really want this to come up with this big chunk of change. The first few days of liquids are rough and personally I went through withdrawal, I was not a happy person without my sugar and carbs, but I powered through and here I am almost 6 months out and 69lbs down and could not feel better. I'm smiling a lot more and am happy for a change in a long time. I too got in the bad habit of drive thrus, I'm too tired to cook, it's too late, blah, blah, blah. But now, I want to cook and find it hard to eat at drive thrus. I'm not saying lap band is a super miracle, but it sure as hel* did something to me to get away from those sugars and carbs and the cravings have calmed down big time. Just giving you another perspective on things. I would make a goal for yourself to do the liquids for a week, instead of just a day and make yourself do it. Read success stories on here, whatever works for you to keep you motivated, or just shoot me an email, I'm on here every day and I can check on you and then you have some accountability. Then see how you feel after that week.

It is quite a drastic decision and I am sure everyone here would agree it was a last resort for all of us. I look back then and now I hate junk/fast food. I hate every kind of food that I used to love that is filled with fat and sugar and was killing me. You have to want this and want it badly. It's not always easy nor is it quick. I love my band and what it has made me. I am healthy and very happy. I would do it again in a heart beat.

I, just like you, am a drive thru junkie. What I have been doing to prepare for my band is strategizing what i will NEED to do after I have my band. Here are some of my ideas I can share with you if you are interested.

1. Buy a "magic bullet" smoothie maker so that I can throw ingredients in in the morning and it already becomes a travel mug for my lunch.< /p>

2. keep an insulated bag in my car filled with band friendly foods. (be prepared AHEAD of time so I won't need the drive thru!)

3. Keep packets of instant Soup in my glove compartment to mix with hot Water at work.

4. keep a list in the car of things I can have from each place and making them my staples (like wendy's chili, McD's parfait, etc.)

5. Keep protien powder in the car, my purse, etc. to mix with ice coffee or other sugar free drinks in a pinch. (check out unjury.com)

Good Luck!!

Well you need to become lunch bag junkiies.l Reach into your own staff of healthy foods insead!

I wish you luck, Happy New Year!

Thanks for all the advice!

I was unsuccessful with weekly Protein Shakes in the past. You do it before surgery for medical reasons, nothing more. Having that mind set makes it really important to stick to.

After surgery you are healing so you aren't really hungry. Bandster he ll comes after healing and before the green zone. That can be challenging.

I'm not in the green zone yet. I'm almost three months post op and I've lost 47 lbs so far. Once your body is used to eating only a little bit then it's easier to control the hunger.

I do not allow myself to even taste foods that I'm not supposed to taste. Pies, Cookies, chips, ice cream, candy, fast food etc. Being that I have little restriction I could really do damage with these things!

The emotions behind why I turned to food in the first place is the biggest "job" I'm working on. The food part is easy!

Update: 49.2 lbs lost so far..I just did my weekly weigh in!

To be honest I felt the same way. I wasn't sure I would get thru not eating the food I love and only being able to have liquids. I won't say that it was easy but it is doable. I just tried not to think about all that food and kept only things I could have at home. My husband would not eat around me which helped a lot. All you can do is just jump into it and take 1 day at a time :) I was just banded yesterday so I still have the 2 week liquid post op and that's scary but just breath and take it a day at a time. If I can so it so can you believe in yourself you are strong!!!!