Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Salad Dressing ?

Does anyone know where I can buy (or what brand) some sesame Salad Dressing (asian style)?

I like the sesame taste w/the sweet/tart flavor. I tried Paul Newmans light sesame ginger and gagged, blech that stuff is nasty.

OR does anyone have a recipe.

Thanks ;)

Hi Eileen,

I don't know about sesame dressings but you might want to check out the Walden salad Dressings that are in the refrigerator section at the grocery store (not the unrefrigerated kind). I have had the thousand island, russian, ranch, raspberry vinegrette and honey mustard and they ALL taste wonderful... creamy and flavorful... reminded me of Marie's salad dressings but the Walden brand are fat free, calorie free, and carb free. I hope that helps. Maybe you could add ginger and sesame to a vinegrette base?

I've never had sesame dressing but came across the following recipe from a Panera (one of my favorite restaurants) cookbook.

Panera bread Asian Sesame Dressing

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar

1/4 cup toasted sesame oil

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil

Combine all ingredients except canola oil in a medium mixing bowl with a wire whisk. Once ingredients are combined, slowly pour in the oil while whisking to form an emulsion.

Makes 1 1/4 cups

Source: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/140008041X/ref=nosim/thekitchenlink]The Panera Bread Cookbook by Peter Reinhart[/ame]

NOTE: From what I've read, most people who have tried this recipe are disappointed and say that it tastes nothing like the restaurant's dressing.

However, someone did recommend another pre-made dressing - Trader Joe's Lemon Ginger Sesame Dressing - that is supposed to taste very similar to Panera's. Below is the link to their locations.

http://www.traderjoes.com/locations/index.asp

Here's another recipe I came across.

Sesame salad Dressing

This Salad Dressing has some unusual ingredients for an outstanding flavor. The small amount of steamed zucchini gives the dressing some of its texture, and the combination of garlic, lemon juice and soy gives the dressing its zip. It is great on a salad of Asian or baby greens, or try it over steamed asparagus or broccoli.

1/4 cup sesame seeds (buy raw hulled seeds and toast them in a dry pan over medium heat, stirring constantly)

1/4 cup sliced, steamed zucchini

4 tablespoons Water

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley

1 clove garlic, chopped

1. Toast the sesame seeds in a dry nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until browned.

2. Combine the sesame seeds and remaining ingredients in a blender container. Blend until smooth.

Serves 8

Nutrients Per Serving

Calories: 29.

Protein: 0.9 grams

Fat: 2.3 grams

Saturated Fat: 0.3 grams

Monounsat Fat: 0.9 grams

Polyunsat Fat: 1.0 grams

Carbohydrate: 2.0 grams

Fiber: 0.9 grams

Cholesterol: 0.0 mg

Vitamin A: 68.6 IU

Vitamin E: 0.1 mg/IU

Vitamin C: 3.4 mg

Calcium: 10.0 mg

Magnesium: 18.6 mg

Thanks Elisa, I will look for it :)

Trish, thanks so much. I needed some sort of base line to start from. I got this recipe from a friend, sounds really good and easy peasy.

This one is like the one you posted cept for the sugar mmmm :)

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

3 tablespoons rice vinegar

Toasted sesame seeds

Thanks again ladies :)

I use a basic vinaigrette dressing for my salads:

olive oil, lemon juice, little salt - just mix everything in a small bowl (or put it in a glass jar and shake it well).

If you wish you can add some other stuff: mustard sauce (little spoon), garlic (sliced or thinly chopped), cilantro leaves (thinly chopped) or any other fresh herbs (we use this all the time on the mediterranean diet).

I try to avoid ready made salad dressings because they all end up having sugar, too much salt or other non-natural products.

Hope this will give you some nice ideas!

niki

Ya know what guys, I tried SevenSea's premade Asian salad dressing...its new and EXACTLY what I was looking for... what perfect timing.

Thank you all again :) LOVE YAH !!!! SMOOOCH

My all-time favorite Salad Dressing is the Asian carrot-ginger dressing, which tastes exactly like that served in Japanese restaurants. I don't know the brand name and unfortunately, I can no longer find it at Trader Joe's where I used to buy it. Anyone know of a good one?

Some folks sware this one taste like the one served in Japanese restaurants... Annie's Ginger Dressing (I've never tried it).