Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I am a newbie to the forum, and have been lurking for a couple of weeks. The lapband was introduced to me years ago, however at that time I wasn't ready to persue the idea. About a month ago, I started really thinking about it. I went to a seminar, and had a consultation with a doctor.

The doctor I met, wasn't really personable. He kept telling me that I needed to ponder and think about this longer than just a few weeks. Plus, he was rushing us through the consultation. He continued to look at his watch, and seemed irritated that my dad and I had so many questions.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to the fellow banders out there.

I'm a 33 year old living in the suburbs of Chicago. I am currently a 7th grade special education teacher. I am looking forward to beginning this new journey into my new life.

Hi!

I'm new also. So hopefully we can share our process as we go along. Being rushed for a consult is not a good start to me. I would be looking into other surgeons.

What area are you in? I am in the suburbs too and my doctor was amazing. He NEVER rushes me and is happy to answer all my questions. If he has that attitude now, his bedside manner going forward when you need support the most may not be the best. I would seriously recommend seeking another bariatric center. Mine is through Central DuPage and has been amazing.

Lurk more at what we all write. We have all gone throught the process. Be ready and be prepared. Work at getting all your tests ASAP and the results sent to your doctor. If you need to attend seminars on weight control or see a dietitian, make the appointment ASAP. I found by waiting there are many people ahead of you and you will not make surgery day. The doctor will just reschedule you to a later date. Please don't blame the doctor for this, he is in a business to make money to pay his bills. He will do surgery on those who have fullfilled all his requirements first.

Best wishes and Keep the Faith. Congratulations to you all!

Also, my doctor has 2 nutritionists on staff that I meet with for every follow up appt. They really want to ensure success and knowledge.

Hi everyone! I am a newbie to the forum' date=' and have been lurking for a couple of weeks. The lapband was introduced to me years ago, however at that time I wasn't ready to persue the idea. About a month ago, I started really thinking about it. I went to a seminar, and had a consultation with a doctor.

The doctor I met, wasn't really personable. He kept telling me that I needed to ponder and think about this longer than just a few weeks. Plus, he was rushing us through the consultation. He continued to look at his watch, and seemed irritated that my dad and I had so many questions.

Anyways, I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to the fellow banders out there.

I'm a 33 year old living in the suburbs of Chicago. I am currently a 7th grade special education teacher. I am looking forward to beginning this new journey into my new life.[/quote']

If you didn't get satisfactory info from the seminar/Doctor then look at the questions & answers on this site. Also there's lots of info online. The best info comes from the professionals maybe you should try going to a different Bariatric Office. We here on the LB Site are Patients just like you & we all will have different advice, because we've experienced Differently. Good luck with your journey. #Banded12/22/10. Lost 100lbs

Thanks everyone!

Melynie we will definately have to keep each other posted on our progress. (I just got a call from the office today to set up the psych eval and meeting with the dietitian).

Dawn, thanks for telling me about CDH, I didn't know they have a Bariatric program. Granted it's a bit far for me. I live pretty close to the Wisco border. St. Alexis is far for me too, but my primary doctor said that she wouldn't send me anywhere but Kane Center for this.

I did call the office today and schedule another meeting with a different doctor, so I have that appointment scheduled for next week. I explained that I think that the doc I first met, our personalities didn't really mesh well. I want someone that will take the time to listen to me, and understand me and not rush me through our first meeting.

Again, thanks all for the info and welcoming me to the forum. Cheers!

Mind if I ask you which doctor? My mom went through Kane Center. She had Dr. Rantis (albeit, she had the bypass, not lapband). It would be hard for you with fills to go to CDH.

Mind if I ask you which doctor? My mom went through Kane Center. She had Dr. Rantis (albeit, she had the bypass, not lapband). It would be hard for you with fills to go to CDH.

Hi Dawn,

The first consultation was with Dr. Rantis. My next meeting is with Dr. Kane. What were your mom's thoughts on Dr. Rantis? Did I just meet with him on a bad day (perhaps for both of us?)

Honestly, I think you met him on an off day. My mom had many complications from her surgery and was hospitalized several times (not any fault of dr. rantis as it was her own health issues) and I spoke with him personally on several ocassions. He was very compassionate and concerned, etc. However, I do think medically Dr. Kane (the owner) is more experienced. They had difficulty during one of my mom's surgeries and he called him in as the expert. Lapband is far less invasive but I just remember that he was the "top dog" so to speak. Good choice! :) I never met him but my mom liked him as well.