Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on 12/19/2012. Since then I've only been able to keep down ice chips. I was in the hospital dec23-24 due to dehydration and swelling in my stomach. I have constant pain in my belly. I cant take any medicine at all because it feels like its getting stuck in my throat and drinking sips of Water makes me vomit. My doctor is on vacation until next week and his partner wont help me. He says that I'll be okay. I just took a shower and handfuls of my hair came out. I cant do this anymore. Advice please?

You are still newly banded and probably have excessive swelling which will go down eventually. Try some gator aide frozen like a popsicle. You probably will get that down much easier then Water because its cold and soothing. Also try hot tea too but not too hot. Sometimes the swelling just takes a while. Hang in there.

I also feel light headed all the time and my hands are shaking like my sugar is low but when I take it its always normal. I would just like to get this thing out of me :( I feel like I'm neglecting my kids by being so sick.

From the shaking and lightheadesness, it sounds like you might be in ketosis, which is a good thing. Nobody really talks about that but it Happened to me. I was banded 12/6 and I felt shaky, light headed, feverish and body aches for 4 days after surgery. Didn't have fever but had chills the sweating. Doc said it was ketosis. If that's the case, you'll feel like crap but be fine. But the fact that the partner in the practice won't help you sounds crazy.

I agree, his partner should be seeing his patients, that's why dr have partners. Try the frozen ice pops like was suggested. You need to stay hydrated, somehow! Best wishes!

I was also banded on 12/19. I feel so bad you had to go back into the hospital for 2 days. What did your discharge instructions say? Usually it says come back to emergency room if...

If you are experiencing any of the things on that list go back in.

If you are nervous or unsure go back in for peace of mind. Ask lots of questions before you leave like, when do I have to worry if I can only eat ice chips, or if my stomach pain stays at this level what should I do? If it gets worse what should I do?

I hope you feel better soon.

hot broth works wonders and use a heating pad. you hair will come back this is time to rest and heal keep siping on everything I know this is hard but it gets easier and in a short time you will be losing the weight you have always wanted to do, this time you will. hang in there. thin down some yogart that also feels good. remember you body is in with drawal also getting rid of all the crap what is in there..it does get better. The partner should be at least calling you and talking you thought this be sure to complain,

Don't feel guilty because you are suffering. Do go to the ER and find out what is going on, get treated for your dehydration and see if they can do anything either fluoroscopically or with CT to see why you have so much swelling. And, when you feel better and your doctor is back, go after his partner hammer and tongs. Your surgeon should have left someone to cover his patients while he is away, and if that someone is not his partner, who is it?

I would go back to the hospital. You're very newly banded but still more than a week post op. You should've had some improvement by now and should at least be able to sip water/liquids. The fact you're vomiting on Water is very dangerous, especially so soon after surgery, and the fact your surgeon's partner doesn't take this seriously is scary at best and opening their practice up for a malpractice suit at best.

Right now your first and foremost concern should be hydration and you sound as though you're likely dehydrated again. Go back to the ER and get hydrated. Then, call your surgeon's partner and be a b*tch if you have to but demand that he does his job or you won't hesitate to legal action for any problems his neglect has caused.

I am so very sorry you're going through this. What you're going through is horrible. Hang in there and don't give up on getting the care you deserve.

I've had a ct scan and x-ray done. I've also had antiswelling drugs by IV to help with the swelling in my belly but it comes right back. I'm miserable and I feel like I can get any help :( The doctors office just called and said to continue ice chips and take it slow they can admit me for a few days in the hospital but I have 3 kids under the age of 5 YO.

I had a very similar exp. I suffered 3 days before cll dr, was allergic to the pain Meds as soon ad I stopped the Meds swelling went down and actually helped with the pain. They gave me anti nausea Meds after sleeping off the Meds. Was better immediately . Could be the pain Meds . Make someone listen. This will be worth it.

I agree with those you said you need to get some help. Try the doctor again, explain the situation as best you can and emphasize you feel this is serious and you need to be seen. I am sorry your regular doctor isn't available- figures. If you don't get anywhere with the partner, go to the er. vomiting and dehydration are not good to say the least. Good luck and feel better soon!