Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't think I'm at proper restriction but nervous to get another fill

Hey everyone!

I was banded on August 17th and have lost about 40 lbs (I couldn't be happier!!)

My first fill was a while ago and went smoothly, although no restriction was achieved

My second fill was about 3 weeks ago and I don't think I have restriction yet, but I do rarely get stuck (Usually because I ate too fast. It's a learning process and I'm just trying to be patient with myself). My 2nd fill was extremely painful, although I have no idea why. I'm not the type of person who freaks out from needles or anything but this was insane!

So now i'm a bit apprehensive of another fill

1) because i'm afraid of the pain

2) what if my stuck episodes are much worse/frequent?

Fills do not necessarily mean pain and stuck episodes. Do you fill satisfied after a 1 cup meal? If not a fill will likely help.

I have a 10 cc band with 6.5cc in it and from day one it was the green zone for me. I did and do get stuck sometimes (most often )I ate to fast or to big of a bit like you said its a learning process. I have had a cold lately and it seems to happen more often I figured it was just irritated by the cough and sinus draining, The important thing is are u satisfied with a cup of food and are u ok for 4-5 hours inbetween is so then your fine if not you need a fill, after all that's what makes the band work with us. Sorry it was painful but that was then and this is now hopefull its better.

Stuck episodes will continue until you re-learn how to eat with the band. As you know, eating fast, eating while distracted, big bites and not chewing enough means the bolus of food that enters your stoma may be too much for it to handle. As you consume more food(and don't follow rules) this begins to stretch your stoma. i.e. stuck episode begins until the food is massaged through the band.

I still have a stuck episode at least once a week. But, when I look at how fast others eat and how large they eat, I know I've slowed down and I know my bites are smaller. Still, sometimes it's just not slow enough or small enough.

Bands are tempermental. Mine seems to have a mind of her own. I can eat chicken, rice most anything most of the time. But, some days, she just decides she isn't going to cooperate. Not today and maybe not tomorrow either.

tmf

Thanks everyone,

I will measure exactly 8 ounces of food next meal and see how full I feel and for how long

My dr said when about a cup of food doesn't hold me for 4-5 hrs it may be time for a fill....