Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going To Monterrey, Mexico For 5/16/06 Surgery

Hello Everyone! I'm so glad I found this community! I am very excited and very frightened for surgery in May.

One of the main things I am concerned about is what to take with me to Mexico as far as liquids to eat on the way home. I live in Washington State and so it will take nearly one full day of traveling to get home. Is there a certain type of instant broth I should have with me? Are we suppose to drink Protein Shakes with our liquid diet at first?? Anything you can tell me regarding the liquid phase would be a great help!

I'll be waiting to hear from everyone!;)

Hi and WELCOME to LBT!

Here is a great link to the different food stage ideas.

http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=3995

I would imagine packing a small ice chest with a couple of protien shakes will be good enough. You can always stop for Water at the convience store - when your in need of stretching your legs!

Wow - youre gonna have a loooong journey home. Good luck!

That May 16 date will be here before you know it!

Don't worry too much about it. You're not going to feel like eating much anyway. Be sure you have bottled Water and maybe a Protein Drink, like Isopure, so you don't feel weak. I had surgery in Monterrey too and a lady I met while at the hotel - she was having WLS the same day as me - came from Oregon and had to endure the long day of travelling post op. She even had to have a hernia repair that was undiagnosed at the same time as her band surgery. I talked to her a few days after she got home and she said the travel was not the problem she had worried it was going to be.

Do you have any lay-overs on the way home? Most airports have places where you can get food and you can usually find some Soup that is in broth. Eat the broth, leave the rest.

Good luck on your weight loss journey - particularly the trip home!

Welcome and Good Day!

While in Monterrey, I stayed at the Hampton which is where Dr.Rumbaut's office made arrangements for my stay post surgery. The day prior to my departure from hotel, I picked up a "gift pack" of goodies at the front desk. You will have to ask for it since the hotel staff does not mention it to you. Included are Water, gatorade, tea bags, buillion cubes, etc. All are part of your post op liquid diet. I simply asked for hot Water on the plane or at the airport. You could email the person who made your arrangments and ask if this is still being provided at the hotel. Oh, while at the Hampton, they certainly have a variety of things for you to enjoy while on your preop and postop diet!!! Hope this helps. Keep us posted and Congrats!

Thanks so much to everyone who responded. By the way, this is probably a gross question, but I keep seeing people referring to PB - I think this means vomiting? I feel like the only one out here in the dark so thought I better make sure I know!

I sure hope the Hampton Inn still offers a "goodie bag" I'll be sure to check! Thanks again.;)

Gettinghealthy,

PB and vomit are different.

A PB means Productive Burp. When your pouch gets too full OR youve eaten something that cant sqeeze itself past the little stoma (for me this is tortillia's) these things must come back up. Its not nearly as gross as vomit. Vomit contains stomach acid.

A PB is just chewed food (hasnt gone to the stomach yet).