Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I weigh enough to do this?

I am new to this list and after reading some of the posts and the things many of you have gone through, I hope and pray that I don't sound insincere with my questions. I am 50-60 lbs overweight. I have been overweight since before my 3rd child was born almost 6 years ago. I've tried every diet, program, liquid, herbal remedy out there to lose and the most I've ever lost was 24 lbs and then gained it all back plus some every time. Each year my weight creeps up more and although I exercise, I still can't lose the weight permanently. I have no medical problems (YET) that I'm aware of, but I really don't want to wait until I do have problems to do something about it. I want to not only stop gaining weight, but I want to lose this weight I'm carrying and avoid serious health problems. Heart disease runs rampant in my family so it's just a matter of time. So my question is this: is there anyone here who had the lap-band surgery done who was *only* 50-60 lbs overweight and didn't have health problems? Believe me, when I say "only", I don't mean to sound smug in any way at all because I am absolutely not. I am very unhappy with myself for not being able to lose the weight the "normal" way. To ask in a different way: Do I really need to gain more or acquire a major health problem or go on a 6 month hospital diet in order to have a doctor do this surgery? I know my insurance will not cover it, so I'll be paying cash, which I do have right now. Thank you all for any input/experience.

AngieHH

Hey there, my case was just like yours. I had an unwanted 35lbs that i had been unsuccessful at losing for well over a year despite excercising and folowing a strict diet plan, I also didnt want to wait until my wieght became a big health risk in order to get some help. Doctors here in the states offered me no help, all they told me was to keep at it and that i was expecting too much to happen to quickly(i didnt think a year was too soon to expect some type of result).Anyway I was banded on March 25th and have lost 12lbs so far. There are doctors that will band people who are like us, those that only have a moderate amount of weight to lose but you wont find them in the states you would have to go out of the country like to Mexico for example like i did. I went to Dr. Arturo Rodriguez in Monterrey Mexico. He's a great doc and i would highly recommend him to anyone, his staff's great as well. I was a self-pay and the price isnt too bad either I payed 7,900 plus airfare everything else is covered.(not that price should influence your decision)I got there on a friday night and left on monday AM it was a mini vacation:) . There are a few websites you can go to to find out more info on him.

http://www.bandstersforum.com/

http://www.lapbandinformation.com/

if you call Patti Lissberger she can give you alot of helpful information, she's who I spoke to when i was looking into the band surgery.

940-465-1255 is her cell number.

hope this helps

wannab

For my insurance to pay I needed to have a BMI of > 40 and tons of pre-surgery evaluations such as cardiac consult, cardiac stress test, cardiac echocardiogram, pulmonary consult, pulmonary function tests, sleep apnea evaluation (mine was negative), GI consult and an EGD, nutrition consult, psych consult, surgical consult, medical clearance consult, thyroid function tests, computer based patient education program, and a general WLS meeting. The insurance company also wanted a 10 year diet history with evidence of a 6 month medically supervised diet plan.

My advice it to call your insurance company and see what they will and will not cover.

Angie HH

My situation is similar to yours. Because of my height my BMI is only 31. I have been unable to loose the weight and just gain more as each year passes. I completely sympathize with you!! Some people here wont...I thought I was stupid for even considering it after some responses I got from people, but its your body, your health, and your money!! So do the research, think about it, talk about it and make your decision!! I have made mine to go with Dr. Rodriguez in Mexico. His staff is really helpful and easy to talk with. I hope to be banded by the end of June...Im in the process of getting funds together! Good luck to you!!

ttbseffy

Angie, I was just banded on 4/6/06. I am 39 years old; was 192 lbs at band date; and am 5'7". I also have 2 children, quiting smoking; and do not have the will power to remain on a diet. I considered lap band for over a year. Cardiovascular as well as diabetes run in my family. I finally decided this is the "tool" I want to use. Most (well all) of my friends and family thought I was crazy as they only said you are not that big, you do not need that, etc...(in a nice way, but sometimes you just don't want an opinion unless it is to support your opinion...lol). Well, a size 14-16 when my closet is full of 5's and I weighed 125lbs 16 years ago is too much for me no matter what anyone else thinks. Had I weighed about 10-20 pounds less, I would have chosen liposuction but this was the best decision for me. I am healing fine, just a few pains under the ribcage and 5 days out of surgery. I have already lost 6 pounds and 2 of my friends in the States have had this surgery done. There insurance paid for it as would have mine had I gained another 40 pounds. However, that was not an option. So, off to Mexico I went. I also know of the unhappiness about your weight. No matter how many times others tell me I am not that big, to me I am huge and this brings about a lack of confidence. I am a very happy and comical person but the weight is one thing I am VERY unhappy about. This was my decision and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck to you and keep me posted on whether you do decide to do this. But please remember it is YOUR decision that matters not anyone elses unless it is God's of course....God Bless

I truly appreciate your response and also the responses of others. We're about the same proportion-wise because my BMI is 30.8. Are you married? If so, was your husband supportive of this? How did you approach it? I've mentioned it once to my husband and he sort of laughed it off (as though I wasn't serious) and then we got sidetracked with our 3 kids. And do you have a doctor near you now who you can see to fill/unfill? I'm not sure my husband would be thrilled if I had to travel to Mexico from our home in VA. So I'm wondering if doctors do it here in the states. Sorry for all the questions.

--Angie

No problem Angie :-) However, new myself, I do not have a lot of answers...lol However, My husband knew I was looking into this last year at this time and had made the decision Not to have it done as feeling it was trivial to have this procedure done when all I need to lose is 40-50 pounds. Well, 1 year later and not a pound lighter, I jumped and chose this as the tool to use for the rest of my life. I LOVE the fact that I do not have to diet again (at least this is what I am hoping). My friend had this done 2 years ago and could not help but to lose, no hunger, no intake of food. As far as doing procedure in the States, no Dr would touch me due to BMI of 30 with good health. Dr Zapata did my surgery in Mexico and I honestly do not think I could have found a better surgeon in the States.....Hope all this helps and you have to make sure that this is Your decision....God bless