Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So much for taking it easy. I am 5 days post op, my left shoulder and whole left side is killing me with a stabbing pain (according to the dr this can be normal part port pain/ part gas pain). Anything I drink seems to get stuck and I feel like I will throw up (dr says this too is swelling) i hope so as it's getting old and I am not drinking near enough as I hate the feeling. But the real reason is that I just a hot mess right now. My husband (oddly the skinny one) had a heart attack yesterday and is still in the hospital. Had a stent put in today and hopefully will be home tomorrow. We also have a 3 yr old that now neither one of can pick up. My mom usually helps but as of 5 hours ago my dad was also rushed to the ER and has been admitted. So long story short I am really losing it! No pain meds as too much driving back and forth to hospitals. I guess there are only two bright spots 1) I can't take my stress out on food or wine and 2) my husband will now have to follow a healthier diet in 2013 with me.

However I need to have some Protein Shakes this week as I am too busy running around and has literally had 300 calories in 4 days.

Sorry for the long post, needed to vent!

I'm sorry. Def seems like u have a lot going on! Hope everything slows down for u and hope everyone gets better! U def need to try and make sure u are giving yourself food. That's def not good for your body especially with only being banded a few days ago.

Oh boy! You are going through a lot right now, it's no wonder your stress level is through the roof. I'm sorry.

It is important to care for your family responsibilities, but you need to care for yourself too. Please slow down. You just had major surgery. Stress only makes the band tighter. please take your prescribed medications and find a ride to see family. Running around all day and not getting enough water/protein can make you dehydrated and seriously ill. This is a risk you don't want to take.

Thanks. I wish a had someone around to drive me to and from especially as my husband is 60 miles away as he had the heart attack at work.

Thanks for the wise words too as today I will make sure to at least pack some Protein shakes for me for the day. Hopefully my husband can come home so we can both start/continue to heal.

I had 2 stents......it's not the end of the world.....as a matter of fact it was part of my wake-up call...and now, I have never felt better, healthier and more fit in over 30 years......

However, I have a friend who has also undergone the same procedure, and he keeps telling me we "Have to take it easy", "we have had heart attacks"

Granted, everyone has to follow the advice of their cardiologists, but my attitude is 100% opposite.....just watch me!!!!

It is NOT a death sentence.....

As for you, hang in there.....this thing DOES WORK...if YOU LET IT!

The first 4-6 months were the toughest for me, but once I got everything adjusted properly, the band, and most importantly...ME....it has all been a very easy experience........(for me)...others find it hard work.....

My prayers goes out to you and your family in this time of need. So sorry you are going through this. You can vent anytime girl!

Wow- you are having a tough time right now. Hopefully things will get better soon for you and your family.

Stress can also make you band tighter and crying due to the movement of the diaphram and band. Just try, try, try to at least get Water down to preven dehydration that is something you do not need right now. Some people say room temp Water goes down best, but I was an odd ball cold water worked best for me with crystal light in it. Slim-fast Protein shakes are easy to carry with you and will provide a lot of nutrients as they are meant for Meal Replacement - the creamy chocolate taste so good makes you think it's bad for you.

I hope you all mend soon and can get some much needed rest over the holidays.

My prayers are with you. God never gives us more than you can bear. Ask him to take some of your burden - Things will get better!

Pain in the shoulder area is normal. It's gas. I found that putting Absorbine Jr (liniment) on it and ice really helps. I too could not keep anything down for the first week, except broth. But I wouldn't worry about not getting food right now. Your body is made to go days without. Water however is another issue. Take little sips often. Chew on ice. Carry a water bottle with you and keep track of how much you are drinking. Dehydration is serious, but swelling is usually caused by Water (that how the body works) so losing a little water will usually help with the swelling. AND don't forget your vitamins!!!!!

((((((((Hugs))))))) Hang in there, things will get better!

You have plateful alright. Just tackle it Bandster style, one little bit at a time and it will slower get better. Sorry for you trouble during the holidays. I hope things will soon settle down in your life.!

Please let us know how you are doing. I was sitting here feeling sorry for myself not getting to do last minute Christmas things (4 days out) and I read your post. Puts things in perspective. Wishing you all the very best in dealing with this critical time. Do you know neighbors or affiliate with a church? People really do want to help, especially this time of year.

Thanks everyone for all the words of encouragement. Thankfully my husband came home a short while ago with a fistful of meds and the desire to eat and be healthier. Once again dispelling the myth that skinny does not = healthy! And my dad is still in the hospital but they thankfully ruled out a heart attack so that parts good

Actually chewed food for the first time today so that's a big step! Had a whooping 3 carrot pieces from my husbands Soup, but thus far ok.

Thanks again as this board has been a tremendous help!

Separate question- in the mushy stage do you just eat the tuna salad or chilli or do you have to blend them too?

Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated!!

Separate question- in the mushy stage do you just eat the tuna salad or chilli or do you have to blend them too?

Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated!!

I didn't blend anything.... I just chewed it into oblivion before I swallowed. Of course I stayed away from anything like steak, pork chops ....pasta...

I ate lots of tuna, applesauce, cottage cheese, Soups....

And on a separate note... We don't get more than we can handle although I know it feels like it now.... Just rest when you can and keep eating right and it will all be fine....

Sorry to hear of your struggles and glad it seems things are coming back together.

As for drinking, if you cannot get liquids down definitely call your dr. back; however, if it is just difficulty or uncomfortable you may be taking too big of sips. At this point, make sure you are taking small, yet frequent, sips of liquids. You are swollen and if you try to take in too much it will be very uncomfortable.

As for mushies, for tuna, you should be ok with it as it is but make sure you take small bites and chew thoroughly. For chili, my NUT recommended I put that in the blender, the Beans could cause issues at this stage. Other people have done fine w/out using the blender and it's really whatever your dr. suggested. You should be able to have eggs and cottage cheese now too.

Things are looking up! :)