Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had My 1st Appointment

Had my first appointment with the surgeon this morning. Lots of information and I'm a little overwhelmed.

They explained all 3 options they provide - roux en y, sleeve and band. They explained the typical success rates of each and how much weight I could expect to loose with each based on the averages of their 3000 patients.

Now I'm even more confused than I was before.

He said he can't recommend 1 surgery over another, but that I'd see the greatest results with the bypass. However, he also said I'm the perfect candidate for the band because I'm young and have few health problems and no mobility issues.

The target he set for a healthy bmi is a loss of 132 pounds (I can't believe I'm carrying around an extra person, I've been in denial). He said based on the averages I'd loose 75% with the bypass, but only maybe 30-40% with the band. He stressed this is only an average....but there's no way to known if I'll be average or outstanding. He also said the band doesn't always work. I hate the thought of going thru the surgery and seeing no result. His PA said if it were here, she would go "all in" and get the bypass. She described the band as "you on your best diet."

They said I don't have to decide until we set the surgery date. I'm just feeling really overwhelmed and this is the first place I wanted to go.

I felt the same way at my first appointment...it's all very over-whelming.

I can tell you that I have decided on the band because I want a less invasive procedure and I believe that with this tool I can be successful. I am young as well and just can't see having my stomach cut apart. And I feel very confident that I can be one of the successful ones by following my doctors instructions and doing the work.

I know there are pros and cons to every surgery, but at this point in my life, the band seems like the best option for me.

Good luck on whatever path you decide.

It's good that you can have a selection available. Just remember, some insurances do NOT cover all the procedures even if the surgeon decides for you. Make sure your insurance provider will pay all bills on a procedure. Almost all, with some caveats (3-month diet prior) will cover the lapband. My carrier didn't cover the sleeve (too new at the time) unless the surgeon determined mutiple health issues that are life threatening.

Here is this forum, you will meet members who have had all the different types of surgeries. On youtube, a few surgeries are available if you're so interested. I saw my procedure, lapband, several times from different doctors, prior to my surgery. I figured it's my body that's being cut, why not know what I'm getting into. When I was banded, I had an easy time with post op gas and discomforts. I drove less than 24 hours after surgery and even drove to a weight reduction seminar by my dietitian who announced that I had the surgery less than 24 hours ago. Some will tolerate or have no issues with the procedure, others here will tell you other stories.

Best wishes and keep the faith.

Thank you all. Having somewhere to come and ask questions has been a great reassurance to me. Luckily my insurance will cover the band, bypass or sleeve. There's just some hoops to jump thru - 6 month supervised diet, note from my primary doctor, BMI over 40, etc.

I have been going through the same thing since my appointment. I had my surgical appointment on December 14th. I attended a seminar the prior month so I felt I went into that meeting with my mind made up that I was going to have lap band surgery. Then my surgeon starting talking about how much weight I have to loose and bypass and sleeve will offer greater results. He will absolutely move forward with lap band if that is what I decide. I have to complete a 3 month supervised weight loss so I have time to decide as well. I sway a little each day but I'm 95% sure I will have lap band.

Good luck on your journey!