Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advancing diet to fast

I have a question. I was banded on 3/30/06. I was so hungry and so weak on the liquid diet that my doctor advance me to full liquids 5 days post op. I can advance again on day 12 to mushies. My question is, what happens if you advance the diet to fast? Will it cause damage to the band or the stomach? I asked at the doctors offce but I didn't really get a straight answer. I realize that I am following the doctors orders but I just wondered what happens.

If you eat foods/drinks that are too thick too soon, your stomach has to churn and work hard at digesting it, and this is harmful to a healing tummy with a new band around it. The easier it is on your tummy, the better. You can increase your risk for slippage if you advance too quickly. So don't, please! I understand being hungry...get those calories in with protien shakes, yummy blended Soups, anything you would be able to sip through a straw. Also, check out the food Stages thread in the Food Forum (it's a Sticky) for some food ideas at this stage. Take good care of that band! Good luck!

Thank you! I have followed the doctors recommendations but I was curious as to why he could advance my diet so easily. I have seen so many different opinions to move it forward it is just amazing.

Yeah, there are lots of opinions, diets and techniques. This fast track diet is the speediest I have seen.

This is what I did, when I got the urge to push forward I just pictured my new stitches - stretching and unhealed. Gross huh? It works. It will get easier in a month or so when you get a fill.

My doc has me on full liquids for 4 weeks. I asked him (just to ask) if that was a hard rule and he said no that I could advance if I like to mushies but that it would slow my weight loss. Not once did he mention healing. I knew when I decided to get the band done here (Saudi Arabia) that I would just be using their excellent surgeons to install the device, but I knew that I would pretty much have to educate myself on how to work this band. I asked him if he was going to send me to a nutritionist (just asking cuz I knew that they probably to not have a WLS nutritionist here and especially a band friendly one). He said, "I am your nutritionist, your pyschologist, and your surgeon" and then gave me his mobile number to contact him whenever I need him...lol! I love my surgeon, but I do not believe everything he says.

If it's any encouargement to you I plan on sticking out the four weeks of liquids.