Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing and Style

I know this may sound very vain to some and I'm sorry, but how did many of you deal with the clothing issue doing weight loss? I have always tried to dress nice no matter what size I am. I have gained weight and got approved for the band. I can't wear some of my nice shoes and clothes and have remained steadfast (although its HARD) to not buy any new shoes or clothes for awhile. Can someone help me with suggestions or encouragement?

Current pre-op wt 344

I bought a couple of outfits from discount stores to keep something that fit. A lot of folks use Goodwill and I have found they have great deals... sometime on name brands with label still attached. Belts help! Good luck on your journey.

Honestly, I've kinda given up looking "nice" while I'm losing weight. I've lost 174 pounds over the last 11 months and I seem to drop at least a size a month, sometimes even more. What's weird is, the smaller I get, the faster sizes seem to drop too. I think I lost a good 60 pounds before I bought my first smaller sized clothes. Now, after only 15 pounds I can tell a major difference in my clothes.

I replace my pants every 2 sizes I drop. Same with underwear. Bras I replace when I realize they're no longer holding the girls up (laughs!). Shirts I wear longer, currently I am wearing older shirts from the summer that are 4x (and really big on me) and a few newer 1x shirts I've bought this fall.

If there is a Fashion Bug near you, I'd go and stock up on some smaller sizes to shrink into. They're going out of business after the first of the year and you can get some GREAT sale prices right now.

Oh btw, I also shrank a size and half in shoes. I went from a 10W to an 8 1/2M. So, wait on shoes as long as you can, too.

Well I'm bullhead :) and went Christmas shopping with my droopy butt pants all day long yesterday, lol. I kind of like the feeling of having to pull up my pants, but when I hit 100lbs down, I plan to go shopping. Although, I have quite a bit of smaller clothes since I have always kept them since I always thought I would be back to that size one day. I have gone to Goodwill and have had a little success and don't forget about consignments like Snooty Fox (or whatever is around you). I totally forgot about them until I saw one while out shopping yesterday. And I didn't even think about shoe sizes dropping, guess I'll wait on that too. :)

Honestly' date=' I've kinda given up looking "nice" while I'm losing weight. I've lost 174 pounds over the last 11 months and I seem to drop at least a size a month, sometimes even more. What's weird is, the smaller I get, the faster sizes seem to drop too. I think I lost a good 60 pounds before I bought my first smaller sized clothes. Now, after only 15 pounds I can tell a major difference in my clothes.

I replace my pants every 2 sizes I drop. Same with underwear. Bras I replace when I realize they're no longer holding the girls up (laughs!). Shirts I wear longer, currently I am wearing older shirts from the summer that are 4x (and really big on me) and a few newer 1x shirts I've bought this fall.

If there is a Fashion Bug near you, I'd go and stock up on some smaller sizes to shrink into. They're going out of business after the first of the year and you can get some GREAT sale prices right now.

Oh btw, I also shrank a size and half in shoes. I went from a 10W to an 8 1/2M. So, wait on shoes as long as you can, too.[/quote']

Lol!! I live the bra comment!! My mother was heavy when she was younger and even with her being bedridden she still wants to look nice and I admire that. With that said, you should NEVER give up on your looks. I can understand what your saying because I feel the same now and my husband looked at me sideways because he's like that's not me. Shoes, I have held off because in the past I went down 1 shoe size so even though I only wear heels, I have 4 pair if athlete shoes I rotate when I can.

Current pre-op wt 344

Well I'm bullhead :) and went Christmas shopping with my droopy butt pants all day long yesterday' date=' lol. I kind of like the feeling of having to pull up my pants, but when I hit 100lbs down, I plan to go shopping. Although, I have quite a bit of smaller clothes since I have always kept them since I always thought I would be back to that size one day. I have gone to Goodwill and have had a little success and don't forget about consignments like Snooty Fox (or whatever is around you). I totally forgot about them until I saw one while out shopping yesterday. And I didn't even think about shoe sizes dropping, guess I'll wait on that too. :)[/quote']

Thank you! How much are you down and when did you get banded?

Current pre-op wt 344

Hi VJ, I'm down 69 as of today (weigh weekly on Sunday morning) and was banded 09Jul2012. I'll admit I struggled yesterday while shopping for others in not buying clothes (usually end up getting myself presents too, lol) but I stayed away. I really don't know what size I am now, maybe I should shop my closet and see what I have in there. :) The droopy pants are significant to me because a few months ago I could not get them to fit, and I threw them on the floor of the closet (not a slob, just was not happy that day) and now they are huge on me.

Hi VJ' date=' I'm down 69 as of today (weigh weekly on Sunday morning) and was banded 09Jul2012. I'll admit I struggled yesterday while shopping for others in not buying clothes (usually end up getting myself presents too, lol) but I stayed away. I really don't know what size I am now, maybe I should shop my closet and see what I have in there. :) The droopy pants are significant to me because a few months ago I could not get them to fit, and I threw them on the floor of the closet (not a slob, just was not happy that day) and now they are huge on me.[/quote']

I can understand the significance in the pants. It's a feat if accomplishment. In the past if they did not fit you would go up in size, but now they don't fit because you have gone down so much!!! I am just nervously waiting for my surgery.

Current pre-op wt 344

I bought a couple of outfits from discount stores to keep something that fit. A lot of folks use Goodwill and I have found they have great deals... sometime on name brands with label still attached. Belts help! Good luck on your journey.

I have not thought about discount stores to be honest. Being obese in the past I was always disappointed because the clothes did not fit well I was sadden by the fact either I was bigger than I thought or the maker of the clothes has a unrealistic view of sizes. Thanks CHEZNOEL for the suggestion!!

Current pre-op wt 344

I go to the good will or other thrift store to keep close that fit because it makes me feel so good that I have lost the 40 lbs and I donate the one that don't fit any more so someone else can do the same. I think it keeps me on my plan when I have close that fit... I just bought 2 pairs of jeans ( for line dancing) for $7.00 very affordable and name brands.

I go to the good will or other thrift store to keep close that fit because it makes me feel so good that I have lost the 40 lbs and I donate the one that don't fit any more so someone else can do the same. I think it keeps me on my plan when I have close that fit... I just bought 2 pairs of jeans ( for line dancing) for 7.00 very affordable and name brands.

At the goodwill?? I'm very thrifty. I live in Louisville and we don't have many Goodwills and the main location stays packed! I may try it while I'm off.

Current pre-op wt 344

I had a lot of weight to lose .... So I was ok with my clothes for about the first 60/80 lbs because they were amply cut and had elastic and drawstrings... A fatty's Friend.

I too always want to look nice and work in an office so had to be presentable...I basically only bought clothes on the way down when I needed too. I hated the idea of spending a lot of money on disposable clothing so I bought at places like old navy target, Marshall's etc....

Now that I am in smalls... A whole new world has opened up. I raid sales, consignment shops and goodwill and find the best deals on new and barely worn goods... I actually wish I would have tried the thrift shops as I was

Losing but never thought about it....

I had a lot of weight to lose .... So I was ok with my clothes for about the first 60/80 lbs because they were amply cut and had elastic and drawstrings... A fatty's Friend.

I too always want to look nice and work in an office so had to be presentable...I basically only bought clothes on the way down when I needed too. I hated the idea of spending a lot of money on disposable clothing so I bought at places like old navy target' date=' Marshall's etc....

Now that I am in smalls... A whole new world has opened up. I raid sales, consignment shops and goodwill and find the best deals on new and barely worn goods... I actually wish I would have tried the thrift shops as I was

Losing but never thought about it....[/quote']

You look wonderful!! I too have an issue of buying disposable clothing. Everyone has given me great suggestions. I work in an office too and we have to dress a certain way. It's business casual, but you can and cannot wear certain things.

Current pre-op wt 344

I must confess, I am a cloths *****. I refused to wear baggy cloths after the first 40-50 lbs. I am short so as I lost everything got so big and my boss would tell me, "You need to retire that outfit it is too big" I shopped the bargin's after Christmas each year and I would buy some things that fit and some that I knew I could get into in a few months. Shoes, I used insoles in some to keep them fitting until they just got too big. Good luck!

You look wonderful!! I too have an issue of buying disposable clothing. Everyone has given me great suggestions. I work in an office too and we have to dress a certain way. It's business casual, but you can and cannot wear certain things.

Current pre-op wt 344

Thanks for the kind words.... The outfit in my AFTER pic is goodwill. The Talbots Capris were brand new with tags... I paid $4. The cardigan is Ann Taylor ... Again new with tags... $3 at goodwill. The tank is Old Navy online sale $5. In my gallery there is a pic of me in a green jacket... I got that at a consignment store ..... It's Evan Picone... Tags on it... $6. It's so much fun shopping now!!!!