Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Catch Myself Wanting To Share with Every Overweight Woman I see

It's been a rough, and I mean a rough 6 months post op, I've been sick for the most part off and on due to a diseased gallbladder and didn't know it and then a week and half ago I had to have my gallbladder removed so to say the least I've had my share of surgeries in the last 6 months! But with that said, I'm proud to say I'm down 48 lbs and lovin my band. Today I was parked at a restaurant getting ready to go in and place a to go order to share with my mom and take it home and I spotted an overweight sad looking woman walking out and I thought to myself "that used to be me". Yes I'm still obese and not skinny by no means and have a long ways to go and skinny isn't even why I did the surgery, I did because I wanted to get my health back but I just felt sad for her and wanted to share my story with her and tell her that there was help for her. I just felt like shouting to the world. I find myself looking at other heavy people, men and women when I'm out, whether it be in a grocery, shopping, or eating out and want to just share share share because the band has saved me. I thank God every day for giving me another chance at life. I have high hopes for my future. Now if I could just figure out how to live with this absent gallbladder and running to the bathroom everytime I eat, sheesh, and I thought Constipation was bad! Just had to share my story.

i have found myself doing the same thing! i still have a long way to go as well and am still in the obese catagory but i have found myself looking at someone and wanting to say how much lap band has changed how i feel about myself. nice to know im not the only one who wants to tell everyone i see that it could help! how would you go about doing something like that though? if it was me im not sure if i would be offended or not!

well, i feel that way also (wanting to help)

but when i was over 300 pounds, i knew it and did not want anyone telling me what to do or offer advice. as if i would have listened.

i would not have been offended but embarrassed and would have literally died more on the inside.

bee well

I would never in a million years actually say anything to anyone (in large part because I'd likely get punched lol), but I too find myself doing the same thing. I see people who are giant, usually using motor scooters or canes, and I am just screaming in my head "I used to be just like you! You don't have to live like this!" It honestly makes me so sad, because I still remember the pain and shame of being over 400 pounds, and I don't want to see anyone have to live like that.

I feel like its my mission in life to share my story now... of course like Mis said ... you cannot exactly go up to anyone and offer advise.. but I sure want too. I NEVER noticed fat like I do now... Even on the young girls... who seem thin but then they have a muffin top... I just want to go up to them and say... do you know how this looks? Do you oyu know what this is going to look like in 20 years? LOL

And for seriously overweight people its all I can do not to want to go up to them and say...do you realize there is a way out?

But just like I dont preach religion or discuss politics.... Unless someone asks... and then... its Katy bar the door. .. I will blab for an hour :)

I have to laugh because nothing is more funnier or embarassing than having someone who had lapband surgery and approach you when you are already banded, lolololool

Yup, happened to me while shopping for clothing. some woman slithered her way near me, she kept getting closer and closer while rummaging through shirts on the rack. I was thinking to myself, "damn woman give me some space here", all the while she was trying to speak to me.

She was if I had to guess about a size 18, and she managed to get close enough to me to say. You have such a beautiful face, don't take this wrong but I use to be heavier than you are, "i let her carry on"... "because I knew this was going to be good"...

She then said I am much older than you are and I wished i would of did this many years ago, she said look at me now I am 51 and finally feel great, etc... I did let her finish right to the very end.....

I leaned into her and said, first off I want to thank you for the compliment, I am actually 49. then I looked around to make sure NOOO one was near me for what I did next. I said to this woman I want to show you something..

I lifted up my top and exposed my belly..........

Ahhh, just the look on her face was priceless, but the highlight of my day was buying a pair of jeans for $8 it doesn't get any better than that!

I think we all notice overweight people more now that we are banded. I know that I do. That said, I would never approach anyone. I have not even tried approaching my friends. They are adults who can read and they know there are options. It is up to them to seek the help we did. If it is not time in their heads, nothing we say will make it better, and would embarrass them even more about themselves. Yes, they know they are overweight without our help. When they come to the forum, I will be there for them, until then it just makes me sad.

Oh, I would never go up to anyone and say anything, it just crosses my mind nowadays more than it ever did now that I've had surgery. I'm not sure how I would have reacted if someone had come up to me when I weighed 294 and shared with me about WLS, I mean I knew about it, yes, had a friend that had gastric a few yrs back and I had even gone to lap band seminar in '08 but wasn't ready back then but prior to June I was just eating my way to a slow death and getting bigger and bigger and loved ones noticed but didn't say anything. Then one day I woke up and said that was it, enough, went to a seminar and next thing I knew I was having surgery. Like I said, it's been rough, still learning my band and ways of eating but I love my band. It saved my life.

I am so glad to hear that others so it. I am a Homs Care RN and I go to several patients in a day. I was just banded in September and have a long way to go but I want to share with EVERYONE!

I also see a lot bariatric patients at home post op and feel like we have a sisterhood. It also upsets me when people who have weight loss surgery take it for granted. It is such a privilege to have done it and I feel so great. No diabetic meds, on one BP med. I am the happiest I have been in years!

One of my patients who has seen my loss is now going for her surgical consultation in January and she has a new lease on life. She went to the information session and is sold on the surgery.