Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help that's where I'm at I need help

Not always a good thing for us guys :rolleyes:

Fortunately, with the band, for guys, it works the other way :D

tmf

and I also don't think it's fair

Guys get bigger and ladies boobs drop to their knee's, what's with that?!?

Fortunately' date=' with the band, for guys, it works the other way :D

tmf[/quote']

Yeah no shrinking allowed!

and I also don't think it's fair

Guys get bigger and ladies boobs drop to their knee's' date=' what's with that?!?[/quote']

Speak for yourself! ;) that's why god made plastic surgeons!

i am sorry, i disagree.

this forum is a great support unit.

i joined in feb and have had nothing but support/friendship from just about everyone.

i dont forget anything about myself about being over 300+ pounds and not being mobile and other things like that. i know how hard it was and how hard it is every single day. i think of that every day and that makes me try harder. i dont accept anything less than that.

i eat better foods in smaller amounts and i move my ass as much as i can. i dont live by the daily scale weigh in drama, i go by how my clothes are getting looser and how much better i can move

i have want power. dont believe in will power ****i want this bad enough to do something about it besides whining.

any wls has good or bad. there are risks to all surgeries...every dr should have told patients it can or cant work. its not a guarantee. you cant just have the surgery and wake up at 100 pounds.

i also disagree that the band is useless.

it is useful to me as i listened to what my dr said in regards to how to use it and what to do (to help the band) by eating/exercising

etc and also not to expect overnight miracles.

but in some cases, it doesnt work....but give it a try before you knock it.

and to TMF WTF comment...that was a point alot of new banders saying how and what do i eat, just banded a day or a week or a month and the band is failing and its hard, alot of whining truthfully and he hit it on the head. WTF..

its frustrating when people do not seem to listen to their doctors or realize you must let your body heal and that you (yeah me too) has to work at losing weight by eating and not starving.

sorry it did not work for you.

i wish it would have as i know how hard being overweight is.

bee well everyone.

I agree. The Lap band does seem to be useless. I was able to lose weight easily without the band when I was waiting to be approved by my insurance company and once I got banded it has been incredibly hard to even lose 1 pound no matter what I eat' date=' no matter if I count calories, and no matter how much I exercise. I don't know what it is but it's like my body has rejected the band and it has been really frustrating.

To oladad:

There is so no real support here (And I have seen that on here in the last couple of weeks). All the successful lap band patients that are on this "support" forum forget the struggle of trying to lose weight just because they were successful at the lap band. They refuse to look at facts that the lap band is the least successful weight loss surgery compared to the more invasive weight loss surgeries. It's such a shame that when a person comes on here frustrated and heartbroken that the lap band didn't work for them they get slammed for it and are interrogated like some common criminal. And to 2muchfun your "WTF is going on?!?!" comment would be better addressed to the lack of support on here or lack of sympathy for people who are struggling.

Oladad. Please don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about your frustrations. Let him/her know what you are feeling and what is going on. You are NOT alone. There are other lap band patients who have not had success with the band but they have all been ganged up on here and they never post again. I really hope things get better for you. All I can say is don't let your frustrations interfere with your weight loss and your journey to more healthy life. Keep at it and don't give up. Congratulations on losing 50 pounds on your own, by the way.[/quote']

Thank you, 50 pounds is just a start hopefully I can lose a lot more with the ban.

I feel the same way sometimes, the support I get sometimes isn't exactly what I'm looking for but in there own way they are trying to help.

I really believe the ban will help overtime it's just going to take a while to get a restricted. But I think the comments sometimes could be used with kid gloves, kinda like a doctor's bedside manner and the words they use could be worded a little differently, so it wouldn't seem so harsh. I do plan on hanging in there and I hope you do the same don't give up on yourself or your ban. I believe there are some people on this site that are really trying to help us.

The band is only as useless as you allow it to be. It's up to you to utilize the band and do the work, not the other way around.

I've lost over 170 pounds in less than a year. I could've never done this without my band. It's far from useless.

Fortunately, with the band, for guys, it works the other way :D

tmf

My husband says his 12" ruler is 24" long. If you get his drift.

I agree. The Lap band does seem to be useless. I was able to lose weight easily without the band when I was waiting to be approved by my insurance company and once I got banded it has been incredibly hard to even lose 1 pound no matter what I eat, no matter if I count calories, and no matter how much I exercise. I don't know what it is but it's like my body has rejected the band and it has been really frustrating.

To oladad:

There is so no real support here (And I have seen that on here in the last couple of weeks). All the successful lap band patients that are on this "support" forum forget the struggle of trying to lose weight just because they were successful at the lap band. They refuse to look at facts that the lap band is the least successful weight loss surgery compared to the more invasive weight loss surgeries. It's such a shame that when a person comes on here frustrated and heartbroken that the lap band didn't work for them they get slammed for it and are interrogated like some common criminal. And to 2muchfun your "WTF is going on?!?!" comment would be better addressed to the lack of support on here or lack of sympathy for people who are struggling.

Oladad. Please don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about your frustrations. Let him/her know what you are feeling and what is going on. You are NOT alone. There are other lap band patients who have not had success with the band but they have all been ganged up on here and they never post again. I really hope things get better for you. All I can say is don't let your frustrations interfere with your weight loss and your journey to more healthy life. Keep at it and don't give up. Congratulations on losing 50 pounds on your own, by the way.

No that is not true the band does not fail people. People fail the band. If you stick to the plan your body has no choice but to lose the weight. How can people be supported who claim to stuff themselves, dont follow their doctors orders, eat Cookies at three weeks post op, eat doughnut holes three weeks post op and state I did not follow my doctors orders and for those of us who have we are supposed to coddle them for doing exactly what they werent supposed to do. No the band weight loss is not easy its not a magic fix to obesity but by God it does work if you work it right.

i am sorry, i disagree.

this forum is a great support unit.

i joined in feb and have had nothing but support/friendship from just about everyone.

i dont forget anything about myself about being over 300+ pounds and not being mobile and other things like that. i know how hard it was and how hard it is every single day. i think of that every day and that makes me try harder. i dont accept anything less than that.

i eat better foods in smaller amounts and i move my ass as much as i can. i dont live by the daily scale weigh in drama, i go by how my clothes are getting looser and how much better i can move

i have want power. dont believe in will power ****i want this bad enough to do something about it besides whining.

any wls has good or bad. there are risks to all surgeries...every dr should have told patients it can or cant work. its not a guarantee. you cant just have the surgery and wake up at 100 pounds.

i also disagree that the band is useless.

it is useful to me as i listened to what my dr said in regards to how to use it and what to do (to help the band) by eating/exercising

etc and also not to expect overnight miracles.

but in some cases, it doesnt work....but give it a try before you knock it.

and to TMF WTF comment...that was a point alot of new banders saying how and what do i eat, just banded a day or a week or a month and the band is failing and its hard, alot of whining truthfully and he hit it on the head. WTF..

its frustrating when people do not seem to listen to their doctors or realize you must let your body heal and that you (yeah me too) has to work at losing weight by eating and not starving.

sorry it did not work for you.

i wish it would have as i know how hard being overweight is.

bee well everyone.

Fact is, the ones who have success do know how it is at the beginning. They have been where we are now. So why would we not take their advise? If they see what is working for them is very different that what is NOT working for us then why cant they say so?

I feel like we should be following in the footsteps of the trailblazers and we should not be criticizing them because we are not being told what we want to hear. They spend their time on here typing away, pleading, begging, even kicking butt, of those of us who do not want to listen or follow doctors orders. It is our choice to listen or not. However, if we do happen to put away our pride, then maybe, just maybe, we will be successful too.

Just a thought!!

Bee Merry!

Minimi that's good advice which I understand, and I am in it for the long haul.

The beginning of my thread was a simple question, not you but some people on here want to act like us new bandys are week and have no self control and are uneducated about the ban but that's not it, it's just real time and we are finding out it's a little harder then we expected.

4 years ago I went from 250 pounds to 155 pounds and kept it off for two years without the ban. I use to run all the time then I had to have surgery on my ankle and I had to have a bone marrow transplant and thats when I started to gain weight up to 300 pounds.

I know thats no excuse but life happens. So I looked into lapband for over a year, went to classes got educated as much as I could about it, even read blogs tweets just like here on this site about how great it was, and how many people lost weight.

So I know what to do, I just thought it would be easier thats all.

Some really good advice my Dr gave me pre banding was that the band will only do 70% of the work. I had to do the other 30%. I specifically asked what that entailed and he said... measure food portions, count calories (1000 each day) and drink Water Water water. Stay away from ALL carbonation, keep every monthly Dr appointment and take 20-30 minutes to eat.

I have lost 220 lbs in 2 years so I am a firm believer that his advise works.

I appreciate everyone's input here, but I do understand why some of the newbys may feel put off. I have posted a few times for advice or just out of curiousity, and you do get bombarded with "eat portions, measure, Protein first, drink water" etc etc. Honestly, I know all those rules, i got the same reading material you all did when I signed up for this. And I read it, talked it over with my doctor, I meet with my nutitionist....

Still, when I post that I am curious as to how many fills it took to hit the "green zone" instead of getting answers like oh for me it took 3 fills, I get "eat more protein!, eat Protein first!, drink lots of water!," and so on. Alot of nutrition advice that - while well meaning - it didn't answer my question at all. And realistically I have to defer to my nutritionist on what I eat. I was just feeling a bit down that day, and wanted to hear "oh it gets better...."

We aren't all here to be educated by the old timers. I did my own research, as I am sure most everyone did prior to being banded. I think sometimes people (like in this thread) simply need to be reassured that they aren't the only person going through this, not the only person to be wondering what the heck they put out $15 grand for when it's "not working", not the only person wandering around the house hungry enough to eat the family pet :)

Instead, there are multiple posts that read something like this. "The band is only a tool. You have to count calories, measure portions, drink Water, exercise, and stay away from junk food. For the rest of your life! " Then it continues, "Yes, you will be hungry! But you need to WANT to be thin......"

Ummmm, to me that sounds like the diet from hell. The one I simply could not stick to, the one that finally convinced me to make that call. It sounds like not only do you have to have enough willpower to stick to 1000 non fat calories a day, you have to do it while knowing that you have spent 16k on a tool that you are now hearing won't do a thing for you unless you are that dedicated dieter who can survive on two peanuts and a breadstick for lunch :P

I am in constant contact with my nurses, and I meet with a nutritionist. They tell me that it will indeed get easier, that while it's hard at first it will eventually NOT all boil down to willpower. That at some point I will hit that sweet spot and I won't be hungry between meals. And yes, sometimes this part is "glossed over" by the WL clinics, so it can come as a bit of a shock to the newbys to find that they aren't that one lucky patient who can lose 20 pounds a month without ever getting a fill (face it, we all thought we would be that person).

My two cents. As a newby and someone who really likes the forum here.

I agree. The Lap band does seem to be useless. I was able to lose weight easily without the band when I was waiting to be approved by my insurance company and once I got banded it has been incredibly hard to even lose 1 pound no matter what I eat, no matter if I count calories, and no matter how much I exercise. I don't know what it is but it's like my body has rejected the band and it has been really frustrating.

To oladad:

Oladad. Please don't be afraid to talk to your doctor about your frustrations. Let him/her know what you are feeling and what is going on. You are NOT alone. There are other lap band patients who have not had success with the band but they have all been ganged up on here and they never post again. I really hope things get better for you. All I can say is don't let your frustrations interfere with your weight loss and your journey to more healthy life. Keep at it and don't give up. Congratulations on losing 50 pounds on your own, by the way.

You and I can agree on one thing? WTF was uncalled for. No excuses.

But the band is useless? I would hope you meant that it was useless for you? The evidence otherwise is overwhelming. And I believe most all of us were made aware that other WLS techniques provided quicker and more lasting weight loss. But I know I made an informed decision to go with the lap band as did most other bandsters. Sounds like you either made an uninformed decision or was it just bad luck?

No, it doesn't always work, and for many of those that it did not work, they have themselves to blame. I'm not saying the band or the doctor aren't culpable. But, the fact is, 98% of dieters fail. What would the % be for bandsters? 25% fail? Maybe? I'll take my chances and think my odds are good.

tmf

"educated by the old timers"

these old timers post often and i read them and have learned alot. they are successful and so am i (because of them)

I did not mean that in a derogatory way at all. What I was trying to say is that sometimes people are here for support, encouragement, sympathy, understanding....not necessarily to be educated or told what to do.