Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill Today - 8 Weeks Post Op (interesting experience)

Very interesting day today. Traveled 4 hours (one way) with my wife and I because it was the closest person who can do my aftercare. Was banded in Mexico.

Here were the details:

1) Very surprised that .4 of a cc was actually in the band. The Nurse Practitioner said that is not surprising because they do test and put saline in the band to make sure its working and sometimes they don't get it all out. Dr. Kuri told us he was going to put no fill in the band at the time of surgery so needless to say this was a surprise for me personally.

2) She put a total of 1.4 cc's in the band total (including putting back the original .4 cc that was there at the time of surgery). My band has 4cc capacity as a whole. So as of now, my band is 35% full (yaaaah)

3) Very strange as she was putting the saline in, she told me to sit up and drink some Water as she was putting the saline in. She was testing if I can handle the increased pressure of the band once she started putting the saline in. Some people can handle it and some can't. I asked her why she asked me if I can handle it and she said: some people start sweating and get dizzy because of the increased pressure the band puts on the Vagus Nerve. I told her no...and I was fine. A strange question she asked me was: Do you feel less hungry as I'm pushing the saline in your band? I'm thinking....I wasn't hungry when I came in...so how can I feel less hungry as the she is putting in the saline. Just a strange question but maybe the band has this effect on some.

4) There were 5 total girls in the room with my belly and scars exposed to them all (while the she was injecting the saline in the port). Apparently, she was doing some training with the local girls at the Junior College who were in the Nursing Program. Although uncomfortable intially, I had fun with it and said: I didn't think today that I would drive 4 hours one way to eventually be in a room with 5 pretty girls looking at my belly (lol....they all laughed hard :) )

5) Lastly, on the 4 hour drive home, I started to get dizzy and lightheaded. My wife being a nurse said the following: "I think your brain is finally feeling the effects of the band being tightened which has put a little more pressure on the Vagus Nerve. Without going through the Nursing Lingo...apparently, your blood pressure changes as well as your breathing which causes you to get a little dizzy or light headed when the Vagus Nerve has pressure on it.

In closing, I'm so happy I got my first fill. Looking forward to working with this tool and making some adjustments to my lifestyle. One thing I have to do is discipline myself with Protein in the morning and not to exorcize late at night (8pm-10pm) because then I get hungry late and stay up late.

Cheers to everyone on this Journey !! Thank you for everyone on this board (including my help mate, best friend and the love of my life) for helping me make this journey all possible :)

Hi there. When i had my first band in 4 years ago when i had my first fill i felt faint as well. I had it taken out 2 years later and of course in 18 months i put the 20kg back on, no idea in pounds, im in Australia. So i got a new bright shinny one on 30/12/12. And its a smaller band this time cos we only eat 1/2 a cup meals 3 maximum and they put Fluid in at the time and 2 weeks out and im already in the green zone. Do they treat you differently cos you had your surgery in Mexico? Its great that you get after care though!! How are you feeling after your adjustment or fill?

Hi

Sometimes people notice a change in the fill a few days later... it may take a few days for the fill to "kick in".

Were you told to go on Clear liquids for 24 hours after a fill. I had 4 fills in total and I was always told to do clear fluids for 24 hrs. following a fill.

Good luck on your band journey... this is a great place for information... I have made many wonderful friends here and have learned so much.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 156 lbs

tomander@bell.net

My office puts my fill in, keeps the needle in me and makes me situp and gulp a little glass of Water, if I can 'gulp' it down she takes the needle out, if I couldn't, the needle is already inposition for an unfill.

My doctor does what wildrose1966 wrote exactly. Since I'm 1 hour away from him, he is careful and I'm also told to drink some Water. The he also directs me to a lobyy for additional 30-45 minutes before being released. During surgery, then band was pre-filled with 1.5cc. My doctor wants be on liquids the first 24 hours after the fill. I add another day or so as a precaution. I just completed my 3rd fill on Dec 11 with 1.5cc added.

Best wishes

What kind of band do you have? 4 CCs doesn't sound like much?

I get fills with floro, so I have to drink the thick white stuff. At my first fill I passed out due to the vagas nerve. She pushed the Fluid back in to fast and I got dizzy, hot, light headed, nausous and passed out in a chair. It only lasted a second or to and then I was fine. She said it was common and from now on they would need to push the fluid slower.

I am long time banded but just started getting fills again. I had a fill last Monday and I did get a bit faint feeling and had to sit down before I could leave. It was 10 30 and I also had not eating so not sure if that had anything to do with it. They also told me the bill amount and maybe it was that too lol. I noticed my fill right away and everything I thought I knew about my band has changed and I am learning all over again.

My doctor does what wildrose1966 wrote exactly. Since I'm 1 hour away from him, he is careful and I'm also told to drink some Water. The he also directs me to a lobyy for additional 30-45 minutes before being released. During surgery, then band was pre-filled with 1.5cc. My doctor wants be on liquids the first 24 hours after the fill. I add another day or so as a precaution. I just completed my 3rd fill on Dec 11 with 1.5cc added.

Best wishes

I am 6hrs away so these 1cc fills are driving me nuts with no restriction. I have a fill on Friday and would love to push it to 2cc, however I have to drive home 6hrs on Sunday and then heading to FL on Wed. I don't want to risk being out of the country, or 6hrs away if anything goes south, so I guess it is another 1cc fill. ugh.

I have doctors that work out of teaching hospitals. They do ask me if the training doctors can attend my appointment. In the future when you make the appointment ask that no student nurses be present. The do however need to learn somewhere.

So far I had 2 12 oz Protein Shakes and some raman noodle Soup. So far I'm not hungry at all (which is good). Going to work out now but I shouldn't be working out late (7pm-9pm) like I am. But..I will get this in order :P